Is The Fish You Caught Yours?

kenny999

Employing a guide to mix your bait then put it on the coil, cast out, hook the fish then give you the rod is just false fishing, you can never truely say it is yours. I did that for 2 days at BSR and to me it was empty fishing, I will never do that again, fish for your self it is very self satisfying when you do catch that big un!!!!

Fishing is a very individual thing. As to whether to employ a guide is debatable as to the reasons why you engage a guide- where you fish, for local knowledge etc etc. Even Jeremy Wade employed a well known fishing tour company when he fished for stingrays in the Chao Phraya river.

Many carp anglers from around the world that fish at Bungsamran will engaged the number one guide for caho-don't mention name as it may contrue as I am promoting his services- at Bungsamran. He is well known among carp anglers that his bait don't attract patins and mekongs. He is booked months in advance. So all these anglers who travel miles and spent money to catch a big caho will not get an satisfaction if they engaged a guide? Results is the true reflection of a good guide.

Many blue water anglers travel round the world pays a fortune to engage the best captain/guide. Many fly anglers engage guides to get to good spots and to wht fly to use.

I always engaged my 2 favourite guides when I fish for cahos and big mekongs at Bungsamran as we target for what we wish to catch for that day. It's not about casting in and hope to catch whatever that comes up. The important point is engage a good guide and not any guide. The satisfaction is to catch your targeted fish.

These are some reasons why some anglers engage guides. Respect other anglers' wish to engage guides or not. Guides are not for baiting and casting.

It is not whether or not you employ a guide, but rather how much of the fishing is done by the guide.

I would rather a guide show me the ropes and then leave me alone. But that's just me.

Yes this is my point. Many engaged guides for their expertise and not for baiting and casting.

To me, letting the guide do everything and just passing you the rod when a fish is hooked, is pointless. The guide should be giving you tips on what you are doing wrong or what you need to do to catch the big one's and that is it, not doing everyting for you. If you went parachute jumping would you just sit in the plane and let the "guide" jump for you. It sounds too much like fishing by proxy.

Edited by GarryP

The comparison with a Captain for blue water angling is good. For example I will always seek out a good captain versus a good boat.

I know many guys who will let the crew set up their rigs, bait the hooks, catch bait fish and be content to be handed the rod and reel it in. But as you say that's not really fishing.

A good captain / guide should do everything they can to put you on to where the fish are feeding, to give you the opportunity to catch them, and even pointers on how to do it and improve your game. there's nothing wrong with that, we all have areas we could improve in (for example after many years I still seek feedback on my knots) but ultimately it should then be up to you to put what you learned into practice and go out and catch them.

I don't begrudge people choosing to reel in a fish someone else has caught, it can be a lot of fun too, but it is not as satisfying as having caught it yourself, and you can not really lay claim to it, if you only reeled it in.

The comparison with a Captain for blue water angling is good. For example I will always seek out a good captain versus a good boat.

I know many guys who will let the crew set up their rigs, bait the hooks, catch bait fish and be content to be handed the rod and reel it in. But as you say that's not really fishing.

A good captain / guide should do everything they can to put you on to where the fish are feeding, to give you the opportunity to catch them, and even pointers on how to do it and improve your game. there's nothing wrong with that, we all have areas we could improve in (for example after many years I still seek feedback on my knots) but ultimately it should then be up to you to put what you learned into practice and go out and catch them.

then I can honestly say to peoiple

I don't begrudge people choosing to reel in a fish someone else has caught, it can be a lot of fun too, but it is not as satisfying as having caught it yourself, and you can not really lay claim to it, if you only reeled it in.

In my opinion the guide is there to give you advice and not to participate in any area of catching your chosen species, each to there own that is fair enough but for me I prefer to do everything myself then I can tell people I did actually catch that fish by myself. obviously there are some areas where you can not cope with out some help i:e landing the fish also in the case of Bungsamran the fish going under the Bungalows.

Surely if you have had a few sessions with a guide you can then learn from that experience and thus go on to target your fish alone.Personally I'd rather catch nothing trying than have someone catch the fish for me.Also

it's other aspects of fishing that I enjoy and not just how large or the amount of fish I,ve caught.

I pretty much agree with others here. I like to do it all myself. Just playing the fish is old hat for me. It's something I do for children or people who are learning for the first time. After that they are on their own... with a little bit of guidance. Guides can teach you a lot if you watch carefully and analyze the subtle methods needed for success. Every aspect of fishing has its experts. Try entering one of those British coarse fishing tournaments where people try catching tiny fish on little grubs or baits. The experts quickly make everyone else look like amateurs.

The reference to off shore bill fishing where the captain and the mate do all the interesting stuff is true, and for that reason I usually just sit on the conning tower and watch orhers play the fish.. I'd rather just take video or photos than haul on the rod myself. I enjoy teaching others as much as I enjoy doing it myself.

When casting for jungle perch and Giant snakeheads it's imperitive to get you lure as close to the brush as possible and into tiny pockets amongst snags. The pros can drop every cast exactly where they want it but most anglers only hit the target one cast out of 10. The end result is more fish for the expert.