Liquid Oxygen Source In Chiangrai?

chownah

On my way back from a visa run I noticed that just north of Ban Den on the east side of the road there is a big tank with the word "Liquid Oxygen" written on it. What is this all about. The only thing I have ever heard that liquid oxygen is used for is in rockets. Do they really sell liquid oxygen or is it actually liquid air?....the difference being that liquid air is about 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen (if my memory serves me correctly) and liquid oxygen is almost 100% oxygen. Anyone know if it really is liquid oxygen and whatever it is what it is used for?

On my way back from a visa run I noticed that just north of Ban Den on the east side of the road there is a big tank with the word "Liquid Oxygen" written on it.  What is this all about.  The only thing I have ever heard that liquid oxygen is used for is in rockets.  Do they really sell liquid oxygen or is it actually liquid air?....the difference being that liquid air is about 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen (if my memory serves me correctly) and liquid oxygen is almost 100% oxygen.  Anyone know if it really is liquid oxygen and whatever it is what it is used for?

You'll find that pure oxygen is used in various industries, and liquifying it is a convenient way of storing large quantities. Liquid air is basically liquid nitrogen - again numerous industrial uses - and easy to store in liquified form.

Liquid nitrogen is fun to play with as well. And if you ever get your hands on some liquid oxygen - you could always use it to light your BBQ:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/Ambrosia_Times/S...5/2.5HowTo.html

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/ This site has some more pictures + video clips - great stuff!

but you are doing so at your own risk! :o

Edited by WhiteShiva