Non Imm B

Quick question. Just obtained a non immigrant B from Penang. Should I not apply for a work permit in Bangkok and I leave Thailand just before the 3 months expires will I be given another 3 months or just one? In other words is this visa good for six months?

A single entry visa is good for only one entry. As a non immigrant type you receive one 90 day stay. If you obtain a work permit in that time and meet the extension of stay requirements (income for your nationality) you can then go to immigration and extend your stay and then return to change your work permit to match.

^ That would generally be a double entry, not a multiple per se (as it would be kind of pointless to have) and also Penang only (generally unless you have a WP) issue single entries mate! So no he can't do a border run to get an extra 90 days, as he'll only get a 30 day stamp in (depending on nationality) when he comes back into Thailand.

Edited by kenkannif

I just love quick questions, so fast answers should work... not!  :D

Immagration offices have all the updated answers in writing just ask them. So does your embassy and it is free.

:o

Actually a lot of Embassies don't seem to know their err bottom from their elbow (I had Singapore advise a friend of mine to do something that most likely would have got him arrested here at Immigration when he got a Non-imm :D. Personally I trust the chaps on here (Lop et al) more and they give more 'realistic' and up to date info!

They initially wanted to give me a single entry only. I pushed a bit and got the multiple. Don't know the price yet as had some office staff arrange but will know in a week. Do they really do non-em b with double entry? I thought it was simply single or multiple (unlike tourist visa).

Further; in another thread a Brit managed to get a 12 mth (NOT just 3 month) multiple non-em b in Penang simply based on his own (little) company letterhead signed by himself! And in houston a similar letter is ALSO enough for a 12 month non-em b - while here in Hanoi they wanted sponsor company info on directors/tax payments and all that .

Cheers!

They initially wanted to give me a single entry only. I pushed a bit and got the multiple. Don't know the price yet as had some office staff arrange but will know in a week. Do they really do non-em b with double entry? I thought it was simply single or multiple (unlike tourist visa).

The price should be on the actual stamp/sticker no? Or it is with a lot of the Asian ones I've seen?

Yeah they do do double's as far as I know. It's pointless getting a multiple as you won't really be able to use more than two entries. Khota Baru used to do them a couple of years ago.

Further; in another thread a Brit managed to get a 12 mth (NOT just 3 month) multiple non-em b in Penang simply based on his own (little) company letterhead signed by himself!
He was very, very lucky then and personally I'd guess he had a work permit, as without one they're very, very, very unlikely to issue you multiple.
And in houston a similar letter is ALSO enough for a 12 month non-em b - while here in Hanoi they wanted sponsor company info on directors/tax payments and all that .

Yeah it's easy in the West, but in Asia it's a nightmare.

Yeah I give that info to Hanoi as well, still only a single entry though.

I have the confirmation that I will get it - but will only get issued when I return to Thailand in about one wk. Will let you know the price.

The Brit mentioned did not have a work permit and have done it 3 times in a row! (first 2 times someone else in the small family company signed, 3rd time he signed himself!). Go figure...

The post should be here somewhere.

Cheers!

I have the confirmation that I will get it - but will only get issued when I return to Thailand in about one wk. Will let you know the price.

You've totally lost me here mate. So you've not been to actually get it yet? Also I'm on about the stamp/sticker in your passport from the Consulate/Embassy, not the stamp given to you when you enter Thailand.

The Brit mentioned did not have a work permit and have done it 3 times in a row! (first 2 times someone else in the small family company signed, 3rd time he signed himself!). Go figure...

The post should be here somewhere.

He either has some amazing connections, is talking about a Non-imm O, or is fibbing.

He,he - I try again; the Thai Embassy here have confirmed (via my office contacts here) that they have all docs needed and will issue me a 3 month multiple non-em B visa based on the sponsorship docs (they actually accepted a fax!).

I asked for 12 months but they would not issue.

I only need the 3 month to start in a weeks time and am therefore waiting to hand in the application in order to stretch my 3 months as far as possible.

I.e. I will know the price also then.

I will try to find the posts of the Brit. Cheers!

Thanks. I send people to the exact same agents and only get singles, I'm still a bit dubious, but will try to look into it (I may even have someone ask the agent if it's correct as they've told me in the past multiples are doable but only with a WP).

I hope you do get a multiple, but I reckon you might not? Please do let me know, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Multiple entry Non Immigrant visas are *supposed* to be good for one year. BUT the issuing agent does have the discretion to issue it for a lesser period. The Thai Embassy in Washington issued me a Non Immigrant 'O', multiple entry, good for only 6 months. No reason given -- and others were getting the same treatment. And they charged me the full $125!!

So I'm sure a multiple entry Non Imm 'B' can be issued for just 3 months -- but cost the same as a full year type. The only advantage over a single entry, other than saving money, would be the option to border run before the visa expires and thus restart the 90 day clock.

Incidentally, my last multiple entry Non Imm 'O' was via an honorary consulate. Easy as could be -- and I got the full one year. So, even tho' I live within driving distance of the Thai Embassy in Washington, I live a lot closer to the post office. So instead of two roundtrips to DC, finding parking in Georgetown, and then getting shitty results, an honorary consulate is DEFINITELY the way to go. (And rumor had it that I might of only gotten a single entry Non Imm at the Embassy, as 'marriage to a Thai' criteria may have been reevaluated.)

Anyway, a word to the wise for folks living in the DC area -- or even for those who had planned to mail their application to the Thai Embassy, or any of the MFA Consulates: USE an honorary consulate. (PM me if you want to know which one I used. I don't want to inadvertently kill the golden goose.)

I got the 3 month multiple entry non-em b and paid the full price of $150 (auch). I should be added that I had some foreign embassy contacts that handed in the papers on my behalf so might have "helped" - not sure though.

Cheers!