Chiang Mai Chedder

Rinrada

Chiang Mai Chedder :D

We all know it a bit difficult to get decent cheeses in LOS although with the new big S.Ms-Villa -Tops -Waitroses-Tescos etc. its a lot better than a few years ago but thinking about it does anybody make Thai Cheese (Thai Chee)in say C.M.

Going back a long time to when we used to holiday at me dear old grannys farm way out in the Utter Hed-Briges I seem to remember that there was always some of the stuff on the go.

Following the milking of the old moos it was just a case of chucking the white stuff into a big wooden churn,turning the handle/plung the plunger and then Voila...loads and loads of smelly butter and the cheese :D

As said before K.Wife is on about importing a couple of cows up to Chiangers (one day) and the idea of actually making a pound or 2 of Fromage sounds quite appealing so surely... somebody must have done it before......or wot

any comments....cheese,butter,cream.......Thai Wensleydale,Doi Sutep Emmential and maybe even Loy Kroth Gor Gone Zola :o

Found it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11828&hl=

and here is the links to their pricelist

Here is a scan of their pricelist.  I’m not sure if it is current, but it should give you an idea of their selection and prices.  Last time we were there, they delivery – two days a week for a minimum order of 200 Baht.

Dacheeso1

Dacheeso2

Dacheeso3

Dacheeso4

Bill

there is a Dutch bloke making cheese here in the Hang dong area????.can't remember the exact addr. but it has been posted on the forum before.(p1p should know)His cheese is also sold in Rimping Supermarkets.

cheese is very average..probably due to the crap milk. :o

Found it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11828&hl=

and here is the links to their pricelist

Here is a scan of their pricelist.  I’m not sure if it is current, but it should give you an idea of their selection and prices.  Last time we were there, they delivery – two days a week for a minimum order of 200 Baht.

Dacheeso1

Dacheeso2

Dacheeso3

Dacheeso4

Bill

Beat me to it! :o

DaCheeso's cheddar is average - good for cooking. The cream cheese is excellent. It reminds me of Diana Supreme, from the US. The cow and goat feta are pretty good too. I also like their butter.

Near Chiang Mai University's front gate (opposite site, on Huay Kaew Road..should be Opp. Chiang Mai zoo) ,have dairy Project ..dont know its good enough, but that place make milk product as cheeses ,ice cream...etc

maybe you can go there and ask more info

Edited by BambinA

DaCheeso's cheddar is average - good for cooking.  The cream cheese is excellent.  It reminds me of Diana Supreme, from the US.  The cow and goat feta are pretty good too.  I also like their butter.

All their cheese taste the same to me -- white without much taste. I prefer the NZ ceddar (price is not too bad).

Biggest problem with cheeses here is the cost. In relation to Thai incomes, they are vastly expensive.

Rimping stocks a reasonable selection and DaCheeso's are eminently passable. (Dacheeso is owned by the same people who have the Arts Cafe at Thapae Gate.) Their address is 1140/129-131 Amornivet Village Chiangmai-Hangdong Rd., A. Muang, Chiang Mai Tel. (053)274521 Fax 202177. This is down a soi by the large Thai Panich (SCB) before you get to Lotus on Hang Dong Road.

• 3 weeks later...
Near Chiang Mai  University's front gate  (opposite site, on Huay Kaew Road..should be  Opp. Chiang Mai zoo) ,have  dairy Project  ..dont know its good enough,  but  that place make  milk product as cheeses ,ice cream...etc

maybe you can go there and ask more info

When last in town I would go there weekly and buy their raw milk in minimum 5 or 10 gallon quantities at a very reasonable price and then use that to make my own fresh cheese (paneer) and yoghurt at home and set aside some of the boiled milk to chill for drinking. However, I tried their cheese once an it was pretty third rate IMHO.

As a side note, according to Ayur Veda (and friends who are normally milk intolerant) fresh, raw milk that is then thrice boiled is the most digestible form of milk. Raw milk being second best and milk that has been pasturized and/or homoginized as not being really all that healthy or digestable at all. Not sure that drinking raw milk in LOS is a great idea for falang however. On the other hand, fresh boiling at home is more safe than pasturized milk from the store.