Something Positive About Surat Thani

wix

I have been living in Surat Thani for four months now. Although I have tried to keep an open mind I can find very little that I like about the place. I have lived in Bangkok before and travelled fairly extensively around Thailand. I think Surat must be one of the most unattractive cities in the whole of Thailand.

I expect to be living here for at least the medium term. Maybe I can only see the bad side of things. Is there something good that anybody can tell me about this place?

Go for a holiday to Srisaket, you will think Surat it just the prettiest place.

Isn't there a beach there ?

Sisaket is fabulous, I really enjoyed it there. I want to visit again.

Is the Sugar Brazil Bar still going strong ?

good things: the thai people from surat thani are some of the nicest i have met. of course, i don't meet them in surat thani but the chances are good that they are nice when they are home too. also, you can get to gorgeous islands in a matter of hours on the weekends. there are decent markets, more nature than say, bangkok. if you want to find a quiet place they exist. you can learn thai, or how to play guitar, or dream up a business, or lounge around in cafes til you meet someone new. it's up to you.

Makro and Tesco Lotus?? Adsl??

Sorry, I live on Koh P, Surat is the big city for me!

Otherwise, frankly, the traffic is horrendous, the market down at the night boat pier has the biggest rats I have ever seen and the city is pretty dirty.

Pluses, I know a really good mechanic if you need your car fixed

Hi,

My worst memory of Surat is when we were motorbiking it back from Phuket to Samui and my mates TDR250 conked out and made us late for the boat from Donsak a couple of years back.

We ended up finding a hotel in Surat and then going out on the town, this was fine right up to the point when someone spiked the drinks. Luckily we crawled back to the hotel before passing out. We felt tremendous in the morning. :o

Other than that when we were on my wife's Sonic 125 going to Bangkok, we were sitting at traffic lights in Surat and some guy on a bus started giving her a load of abuse about being on a motorbike with a no good Farang, or words to that effect.

Maybe, he had a point!

Still beats living in the UK though

Duncan.

• 4 months later...