Beating The Taxi Fares

Chalongian

Hi all, I've been doing my sums and I recon I spend approx between 11,000 - 20,000 bahts a month on taxis and tuk tuks, I live in chalong but go out in Patong about 3 or 4 times per week. A typical night will cost 900 - 1000 in taxi fares so even if i just went out 3 times a week and paid the 900 per round trip, which is a taxi there for 400 and a tuk tuk back for 500, on a 4 week month is 10,800. A 5 week month, tuk tuks both ways at 1000 per trip and 4 nights out a week is 20,000 a month...more than my rent!. That is an insane amount to be spending on Taxis! If I was in Phuket full time It would be worth my while renting a room in Patong alongside one of the locals for 5000 a month or less, just for party night use and then travel there and back with my motorbike as i don't like to drink and drive, but as i work away thats not an option either, unless its possible to get one on a monthly basis only. So my question is, does anyone know of a cheap room available for monthly short term lets or a cheap room / guesthouse in Patong? This will also save me the hassle of driving a girl back to Patong the next day if I pick up there which is usually the case! Or is anyone else in the same situation and wants to start sharing cabs when going out or coming back on a weekend? Or does anyone have any better ideas (that don't involve not going to Patong)?? Looking forward to seeing your responses, Thanks!

Why not move to Patong instead? You should be able to find a reasonably priced comfortable place there. if you are going 4 times a week anyway.

I dont really like the place itself. Its an overcrowded, dirty rip off, but thats where the clubs and nightlife are. Chalongs pretty central for everywhere I wanna be the rest of the time and Its just a much nicer place to be. Also I probably would have to spend whatever I saved on taxi fares to get the same sort of place in Patong as I have here.

Why not move to Patong instead? You should be able to find a reasonably priced comfortable place there. if you are going 4 times a week anyway.

I dont really like the place itself. Its an overcrowded, dirty rip off, but thats where the clubs and nightlife are. Chalongs pretty central for everywhere I wanna be the rest of the time and Its just a much nicer place to be. Also I probably would have to spend whatever I saved on taxi fares to get the same sort of place in Patong as I have here.

Ok, understood. I have never heard of anyone being done for drinking and riding a push bike. :lol: very cheap and will keep you fit.

either that or get a regular girl who lives in Patong and stay around hers when there!

Ok, understood. I have never heard of anyone being done for drinking and riding a push bike. :lol: very cheap and will keep you fit.

either that or get a regular girl who lives in Patong and stay around hers when there!

Riding a pushbke back from Patong to Chalong at 4am ?? With a bird on the back ??

Is that really the suggestion :lol:

Work out a deal with a local guesthouse owner and stay overnight, somewhere on Nanai I would guess, a room two nights a week should be cheaper than the equivalent taxi fares - the better idea might be to move there though.

never been there but is there a local city bus between the 2 places ?

Yeah, get the friendly and cheap night-bus service. It leaves from the bus stop next to the train station...........................

Seriously, get a room. There are stacks of very reasonable, clean and safe guest house/small hotel rooms for 500b a night. Ride to Patong, take an overnight bag, score the chick of that night's dreams, send her on her way the next morning. Wash and brush up and then ride safely and soberly, home. That saves you 500 baht a trip.

And with that saving..........you could almost afford her friend too.!

Even during Songkran i managed to snag a room in Patong for 600b a night. It makes sensible sense.

BK

There is a bus service that runs between Patong and Phuket Town via Central, open air travel and not very frequent but it's cheap day time travel - unsure about Patong/Chalong though.

BK

There is a bus service that runs between Patong and Phuket Town via Central, open air travel and not very frequent but it's cheap day time travel - unsure about Patong/Chalong though.

Thanks , thats a REAL answer because like I said I was never there......

Cheers

BK

Yeah, get the friendly and cheap night-bus service. It leaves from the bus stop next to the train station...........................

Seriously, get a room. There are stacks of very reasonable, clean and safe guest house/small hotel rooms for 500b a night. Ride to Patong, take an overnight bag, score the chick of that night's dreams, send her on her way the next morning. Wash and brush up and then ride safely and soberly, home. That saves you 500 baht a trip.

And with that saving..........you could almost afford her friend too.!

Even during Songkran i managed to snag a room in Patong for 600b a night. It makes sensible sense.

Yeah thats pretty much my plan, but high season is fast approaching or has already started and it may not be that easy, can you recommend any places at 500 or less per night?

I'll come and pick you up. but (if you have good taste) the girl stays with me...deal ? :D

Well I usually think I have good taste....but there have been quite a few mornings when I woke up nd thought ....<deleted>, I wish i had traded her for a free ride home! Or just never picked her up in the first place. Beer Goggles have a lot to answer for!

Riding a pushbke back from Patong to Chalong at 4am ?? With a bird on the back ??

I should of written Tantem bike, it would not have sounded like a joke then! :whistling::lol: imagine picking up a girl and asking her to help peddle :D

BK

Thanks , thats a REAL answer because like I said I was never there......

Cheers

BK

There is no direct bus service between Patong & anywhere except to Phuket Town. So if one wishes to use the bus service to Chalong have to change to another one in Phuket Town & then only during daylight hours. This has long been a point of contention hence the many tuk tuk posts.

There is no direct bus service between Patong & anywhere except to Phuket Town. So if one wishes to use the bus service to Chalong have to change to another one in Phuket Town & then only during daylight hours. This has long been a point of contention hence the many tuk tuk posts.

So is the bus from Patong to Kamala, Surin, Cherntalay (and vice versa) etc that runs every hour not direct?

So is the bus from Patong to Kamala, Surin, Cherntalay (and vice versa) etc that runs every hour not direct?

Does it do a circuit through & around Patong before proceeding or is it a bus that comes from Phuket Town & passes through the north end of Patong on its way to Kamala etc?

Ah, yet another piece of the Patong bus service jig saw puzzle fights it's way through the chatter to the surface and it's voice is heard! OP, since we now have buses running North and East out of Patong there's a glimmer of hope that we may yet find one for you that runs South, I'm pretty certain I've seen daytime buses running from Patong to Karon Beach as I've driven down to the gym each day so I'll make the effort today to go out and see if I can find the definitive answer to that question, who knows, we may even find there is one and that it starts it journey near the railway station! :)

And the correct answer is:

Public buses run from Phuket Town to Karon via Chalong but terminate in Karon. It seems that the OP could take a bus from Chalong to Phuket Town (or perhaps to Central Festival) and then catch a bus to Patong. Buses on these routes run during day time hours about once an hour, according to the Tourist Assist desk at the Hilton Hotel.

I agree. The OP wants a 'quiet' life in Chalong' whislt bemoaning the fact the expensive trips to Patong to find his 'for the night ho? :blink:

Rent a flophouse in Patong. or get a 'live in' in Chalong. 'Bout the same anyway :whistling:

:lol: Maybe hitch hiking might be the better 'Girl-friendly" option!

I agree. The OP wants a 'quiet' life in Chalong' whislt bemoaning the fact the expensive trips to Patong to find his 'for the night ho? :blink:

Rent a flophouse in Patong. or get a 'live in' in Chalong. 'Bout the same anyway :whistling:

Whats wrong with wanting the quiet life and not being hassled by tailors, t.shirt, watch, dvd, massage and all the other <deleted> 24/7. One of the main things about living over here is having a nice chilled out place to live, and being able to wake up and take a dip in the pool every day . For what I pay here I would be in a shitty no pool apartment in Patong. I also wanna be near to Kata and friendship beach, which I am!

Further more, Im not only In Patong looking for my 'for the night ho' there are plenty of birds and bars all over the place in Chalong, Rawai, Kata, Nai harn all much easier to get too. I just prefer going to Nightlubs, and bars like scruffy Murphys, so more often than not I end up with a bird from Patong.

Anyway, I don't want no live in, but I would rent a flophouse, the question In my OP was ....does anyone know of a cheap room or guesthouse in patong???? So far people have replied about bus routes through Kamala during the daytime, Imaginary train stations, picking me up but taking my wench, and riding home on a Tandem lol

can anyone recommend somewhere?

Whats wrong with wanting the quiet life and not being hassled by tailors, t.shirt, watch, dvd, massage and all the other <deleted> 24/7. One of the main things about living over here is having a nice chilled out place to live, and being able to wake up and take a dip in the pool every day . For what I pay here I would be in a shitty no pool apartment in Patong. I also wanna be near to Kata and friendship beach, which I am!

Further more, Im not only In Patong looking for my 'for the night ho' there are plenty of birds and bars all over the place in Chalong, Rawai, Kata, Nai harn all much easier to get too. I just prefer going to Nightlubs, and bars like scruffy Murphys, so more often than not I end up with a bird from Patong.

Anyway, I don't want no live in, but I would rent a flophouse, the question In my OP was ....does anyone know of a cheap room or guesthouse in patong???? So far people have replied about bus routes through Kamala during the daytime, Imaginary train stations, picking me up but taking my wench, and riding home on a Tandem lol

can anyone recommend somewhere?

Why did you even bother to post this? Get off your lazy ass and go look around Patong if that's your thing. 'Cake' 'Eat' and 'Want' spring to mind. Jeez.:wacko:

I'm sure there's a few of the newer shophouse type guesthouses that would be more than happy to cut a deal with you. Why not ride around and ask?

Elite guesthouse has everything included and is near beach for 9-10,000 bht/mo. Not sure if she went up for high season. In royal paradise complex, Phuket happy tour lady has guesthouse for 12000 everything included, but she may discount for you 10k. Better to walk in there with thai friend or talk yourself with big boss maybe she discount for you. Another guesthouse in royal paradise is 9000/mo. closer to the back everything included. But not sure if he went up for holidays.

There are some apartments for 6k/mo on nanai rd. Come to think about it, there is a thai and farang renting a newer room (was making pizza, but removed all the cooking stuff and turned it into a room) Have everything except for a/c for appx 6k or so a month. The room is HUGE. It's on the bottom floor, so would stay cool anyway. I saw portable room air conditioning for about 10,000 at the big tesco/lotus phuket town.

The timing to be looking for a guesthouse or apt in patong is not great now, as:

1) many of the locals have relocated for high season

2) farangs have or are starting to come in for high season

I may be going to chumphon and may give up my apt. 5500 with everything except for internet, and electric/water. CAT cdma high speed 850/mo and electric depends on how much you use a/c. 5/unit and water 12/unit. i use a/c avg 4 hours a day and i leave my laptop on 24/7. and bill is between 12-1500/mo. It may be less next month so far it's been cool in patong. And I stay on the 5th floor.

Edited by 4evermaat

Why did you even bother to post this? Get off your lazy ass and go look around Patong if that's your thing. 'Cake' 'Eat' and 'Want' spring to mind. Jeez.:wacko:

I somewhat agree with this poster. Yes you need to get your own place in or near the "action zone" if you plan on womanizing on a regular basis. But having good information for where to go get deals can save you a lot of time.

Another tip: rent motorbike and drive around. I suggest renting by the month or even buying one if you ride around soo much. You can rent 3000/mo if you find the right spot. That would save you 8-12000 right there.

I somewhat agree with this poster. Yes you need to get your own place in or near the "action zone" if you plan on womanizing on a regular basis. But having good information for where to go get deals can save you a lot of time.

Another tip: rent motorbike and drive around. I suggest renting by the month or even buying one if you ride around soo much. You can rent 3000/mo if you find the right spot. That would save you 8-12000 right there.

Yeah of course, good information will save loads of time and hassle, and giving good advise is partially what this sites about isn't it EVANSON ?

Also yeah buying a motorbike is a good idea and I am currently looking for a Honda Dream if anyone knows of one for sale?