Teaching At University Level

Limbo

It seems, from what I have read on this board, that there are a few expat teachers in Chiang Rai. I have an MBA and some experience, albeit in the distant past, teaching at university level. I may be interested in teaching part time in a paid or unpaid position. Is this possible?

... was the question posed by Mr. Sandman in another thread.

I once gave a guestlecture at Mea Fah Luang University.

"The Impact of Globalisation on Thai Culture".

After speaking for two hours it was time for questions.

And no, but yes, there was a daredevil putting up his hand.

His question was:

What is the impact of globalisation on Thai culture?

The only answer I could give was that I tried to hand out the tools to find that out by himself.

Nice kids however, 85 % young ladies and the rest young gentlemen.

PS. The Rajabhat Institute (the former teachers college) is now Rajabhat University. So you have a choice out of two. I would certainly do it.

And if you dress like a teacher (preferably a necktie and black shining shoes) you would certainly get an appointment with your qualifications.

Limbo.

You lectured a group of students for two hours straight?

.... Chownah asked himself and me.

No, five minutes a day for four weeks :D

Actually they wanted me to perform on a Sunday morning.

They only had the budget for one lecture (1200 Baht) and wanted to put me in front of 240 students. Frontal teaching so to say :o

I chose for three double hours and groups of eighty. Still too much as you won't get any feedback. Actually nobody fell asleep. I felt that as a compliment.

Professor Limbo

Mr. Sandman,

Both the Mae Fah Luang University and the Rajabhat University have websites. These are mostly accessible.

Mr, Tyree wrote in another thread:

I used to teach at Mae Fah Luang. DON'T GO THERE!!!! When they gave me the fired with explanation scheme, I was actually happy. I started there 11 months ago and only about two teachers that came before me are still there.

Limbo:

I heard that many teachers don't last long at MFL-University.

Mr. Tyree won't be an exeption.

It is a new university ( about five years) and many routines still have to be developed.

Especially in the field of organisation, which is hardest felt by foreign teachers. There is a great turnover of foreign professors.

Many foreign teachers are very much motivated to deliver a good product. And the conditions to do so not always exist, which makes many teachers leave in frustration.

The actual situation is starting point. The only thing you can do, is to do your best under the given circumstances.

In Thailand, go with the Thai!

Limbo.

Actually some years ago the MFL-University employed a French language teacher who's only qualification was that he had a French National Nurse Diplom. He never complained. He thought everything was fine.

I think the more qualified and experienced teachers are, the more problems they will encounter. They know how things could be done better from a western view.

But the western view is not always helpful in the East, as many of us know. And that counts not only in the field of education.

PS: Mr. Doctor!

I guess the first beer after these six hours on Saterday must taste divine!

Limbo.

I had written one LONG message about how bad MFU is revealing all the scandals I know of (piracy, child molestation, forgery) but then I removed it since I am still close and could receive a backlash. I then wrote a long message here but then the computer messed up.

I'll jut say they never help with visas. Teachers have overstayed and got all the blame. They told me to get a tourist visa then they made me go back to Laos and pay a fine at the police station. They wanted me to write a letter of resignation to make it look like I quit. They told me the student evaluations are low but I am (still) close to the students and my 30-year old girlfriend's friend is a student in the same department and they said they gave me high marks. When I told Sasima and the dean I knew the truth, they ran away from me sweating. I still came to the meetings after I was fired and they cut me off every time I tried to speak.

Now I am at Maechai Wittaykhom. My boss paid for 75% of my visa renewal and drove me to Mae Sai. MFU made me take the wrong bus and get the wrong visa. I am one of the first two foreign teachers in their 30 year history. They have let us plan the budget and design the lssons (shouldn't we do the latter anyway? MFU made us teach faulty material). I am doing fine. I would still be under contract.