Floods Batter Thailand's South

webfact

Samui Airport Closes Down Temporarily Due to Storms

The Samui Airport has been forced to close down temporarily due to heavy storms in the South. Travellers are advised to check in once again at around 6 P.M. when officials reassess the situation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-02

footer_n.gif

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, does anyone know how I could get in touch with people in Hat Yai? I have relatives there, but haven't been able to get a hold of them by phone.

Thank you!

Flood centre in Hat Yai call 074 200 000, 074 200 007 or Hotline 1559

Thank you for the information, George! Both numbers are busy, but I will keep trying. I wonder if Thailand is currently block incoming international calls.

Hi, does anyone know how I could get in touch with people in Hat Yai? I have relatives there, but haven't been able to get a hold of them by phone.

Thank you!

I am trying to get infos as well. I only know that apparently Hat Yai Nai is apparently the most affected area as next to the river and canal. Let me know if you get a hold of an emergency number or something...

Thank you!

Flood centre in Hat Yai call 074 200 000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              074 200 000      end_of_the_skype_highlighting, 074 200 007 or Hotline 1559

Thank you for the information, George! Both numbers are busy, but I will keep trying. I wonder if Thailand is currently block incoming international calls.

Thanks George

Thank you!

I am trying to get infos as well. I only know that apparently Hat Yai Nai is apparently the most affected area as next to the river and canal. Let me know if you get a hold of an emergency number or something...

Hi Amir,

in case you missed George's post, here's the contact info. However, i haven't been able to get through. My relatives live in Hat Yai Nai.

If you hear more about this area, please post! Thank you!

Flood centre in Hat Yai call 074 200 000, 074 200 007 or Hotline 1559

Cellphones and SMS seem to be working, a colleague just called me from there.

Apparently the area close to the Sadao border is now ok, the roads are mostly ok. The area of tambol patong is still flooded (~15 km from Hat Yai, on the way to Sadao), with about 1 meter of water on the main road.

Surat Thani incl. Samui and Phangan a disaster zone

Surat Thani provincial governor Thirayuth Aiumtrakul has on Tuesday afternoon declared 16 districts flood disaster zones, including the tourist islands of Samui and Pha Ngan. The districts are Muang, Kanchanadit, Don Sak, Pun Pin, Tha Chang, Chaiya, Tha Chana, Ban Nasarn, Viangsra, Prasaeng, Chai Buri, Khirirat Nilhom, Vibhavadee Rangsit, Phanom, Koh Samui and Koh Pha Ngan, the reports said.

/via Bangkok Post

Now the power base of the DP is inconvenienced, 20 Billion baht can be spend. When Izan was flooded Abhisit did not even had the courtesy or should I say decency to stay in the country and went with his Burmese buddies to vietnam. Abhisit has a lot to learn from the Indonesian president, albeit there is a slight difference, Yudhoyono was democratically elected and thus need to serve his people. Let see if now also 90% of the flood aid is stolen by the likes of Newin and Sanan, my guess is that it will be just 70%.

All this misery and you all you red shirts can do is attack the government. You like Deeral, need help. ( I presumed you are not mentally challenged if so my apologies)

I can do no more for the people than pray for them and that I will do. I inquired if there was any thing here in Chiang Mai to help out and apparently there is nothing.

Warning

"Tropical Depression in Gulf of Thailand"

No. 10 Time Issued : November 02, 2010

At 3.00 p.m. today, the tropical depression was centered over Phangnga, southern Thailand or at latitude 8.3 degree north, 98.5 degree east with sustained wind about 45 km/hr. It is now moving west-northwest at a speed of 15 km/hr. This storm will move to the Andaman Sea. Abundant rains and isolated heavy to very heavy rain are likely in the both South from Chumphon southward with wave 3-5 meters high.

People in risky areas along hill slope near waterways and in lowlands should beware of severe weather and possible flash flood. Residents along the coastal areas should beware of force wind and high surge inshore. All ships in the Gulf keep ashore during this period.

The ridge of intense high pressure from China still covers Thailand. Cool and cold weather with windy are likely in upper part of the country while minimum temperature in the North and the upper Northeast reaches 14-15 oC and on mountaintops 8-14 oC.

This severe weather conditions will be issued and notified periodically.

-- Thai Meteorological Department

Current conditions and forecast:

Go here: http://weather.thaivisa.com

Flood control and irrgation projects take many years to complete. The only government during the last 10 years that can't be blamed for the lack of flood control is the current one, guess you do don't know that.

Let's hope that the previous governments started projects that the current government can complete or if the previous governments did not start projects, the current government does - projects that future governments will complete

Now the power base of the DP is inconvenienced, 20 Billion baht can be spend. When Izan was flooded Abhisit did not even had the courtesy or should I say decency to stay in the country and went with his Burmese buddies to vietnam. Abhisit has a lot to learn from the Indonesian president, albeit there is a slight difference, Yudhoyono was democratically elected and thus need to serve his people. Let see if now also 90% of the flood aid is stolen by the likes of Newin and Sanan, my guess is that it will be just 70%.

All this misery and you all you red shirts can do is attack the government. You like Deeral, need help. ( I presumed you are not mentally challenged if so my apologies)

I can do no more for the people than pray for them and that I will do. I inquired if there was any thing here in Chiang Mai to help out and apparently there is nothing.

Try giving them some money. That usually does the trick.

I spoke to a UK mate of mine who lives in Lamai in Samui about an hour ago, he said rds still flooded & they have had no power since 11pm last night, i got through to him OK on the mobile.

He also said it was still raining but has eased up a bit.

Try giving them some money. That usually does the trick.

That is about all I could do but here in Chiang Mai I can't even find a place to send it.

SOUTH FLOODS

Foreign tourists stranded on Angthong Island

About 100 foreign tourists were stranded on a tourist island in Surat Thani province on Tuesday due to strong and high waves.

They could not go out of Angthong Island, which is part of popular Pa Ngan islands, and police boats could not go to the island to pick up them.

Although the rains had stopped but there were still strong and high waves which are as high as four meters.

Meanwhile electricity service on Samui Island off the same province is resumed after being off for about three hours due to the heavy rains.

Floods also hit Thachang and Karnchanadit districts of Surat Thani.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-02

For Hatyai they warned. This happened in 1989 but still nothing has been done to clear the waterways. It will happen again too if they do not sort out the drainage problems. Hatyai is in a basin and all the runoff from outlaying districts finally makes its way there. In 1989 there were pigs and buffaloes floating in the city which had been washed in by the strong currents. The road in front of the railway station was under about 2 meters of water.

It was a horrible experience then and I am sure it will be this time. People did tend to look out for each other though and those in need were helped. I certainly hope that there is a silver lining to this cloud.

Edited by GarryP

ICT deploys mobile satellite upload units to restore communications in southern provinces

Information and Communication Technology Minister Juti Krarirk said the ministry has deployed mobile satellite upload units to restore cell phone communications in southern provinces.

Juti said some 80 cell sites out of 200 cell sites in southern provinces were out of order mainly because their power generators were damaged by a storm and heavy rains.

Juti said the mobile satellite upload units of TOT Plc should restore the mobile phone communications by Tuesday evening.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-02

But he is quite correct in what he says, you cannot argue with that!

And let's face it, anyone donating money to flood victims here should really take a look at where all the international aid went after the Tsunami....it still hasn't been accounted for, so yes, some people are cynical, me included.

Every year, time and time again, Thailand is either in a drought or in a flood, every year so many people keep pledging to solve the problems...nothing changes, Einstein I believe coined the phrase that "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." nothing changes here, it simply doesn't fit into the agenda of those that make the rules, it doesn't matter! I feel sorry for the victims of this, I have been flooded out a couple of times and it is not pleasant at all, the first few hours are a novelty if you haven't seen this before, but then when you get all the snakes the jakep and every creeping creature looking for a bit of dry land, it gets a bit creepy, then if you get into a good couple of days where you can't flush a toilet, and shit and god knows what is backing up.....then the real problems start. It isn't just the wading around in water....it is WHAT is IN the water!, and no one, as far as I am aware, apart from the Japanese like playing around with shit!(but that is off on a tangent)

Edited by Willeyeam

Anyone know if Samui airport has reopened? I can't get through.

Edit: They've updated their website, will be closed until 8pm. I presume this is a rolling update and they are likely to keep pushing it back for a while yet.

Edited by Crushdepth

What does get at me is the amount of people trying to contact road/rail/travel links, when they know that the place is a disaster, what is the point, just wait a little, stay where you are, nothing is moving. No wonder all of the emergency numbers are busy, they are for emergencies, not really for train enquirese, would it not make more sense if people who really did not need to travel unless as an emergency, just held off for a few hours or a day, and let the people trying to contact relatives etc. stuck in this use the emergency numbers?