Beware...Hafele Gas Hobs

Trex52

Do not be fooled by the "German Technology" propaganda stamped on Hafele products bought here....it is just more POS crap from China. I will never ever buy the junk again. Had a brand new gas hob that had to be sent back to BKK to be repaired, and returned still not working. Non-mechanical products are probably okay....otherwise, get something else. trex

All western companies need to do to fix this Made in China issue is for those companies to stop building their factories there, contracting-out to Chinese factories, or probably a half dozen other solutions. But hey, the companies are going to go to where they get the most profit primarily determined by lowest labor cost, not to imply that's the wrong way to do business. A lot depends on the design characteristics and quality control that the company implements at their factory regardless of what country it was built in. Bad design and/or manufacturing quality control results in crap.

I have all Hafele appliances. Including a hob that we have outdoors. Use it all the time and have not had a problem with it. The micro did stop working, but they came out and just dropped in a new one. I bought all my stuff directly from the store here on Suk. Great service and so far we are really happy with the products.

Unfortunately, more and more stuff is being made in China. There is already a backlash happening in the US due to poor workmanship. Reminds me of when stuff initially started coming into the US from Japan. We all laughed as it was cheaply made and when something broke we just said "Made in Japan!". Not anymore. Maybe China will wise up and start making things better? Time will tell....

• 2 weeks later...

Sympathies OP - one burner on my one year old Finext hob (whatever the hel_l that is) has just stopped functioning. I don't always buy crap but lots of the sundry electrical stuff in my two year old house has needed fixing or replacing. Mainstream big name Japanese and Korean stuff seems like the best bet here to me. Have had no problems with the likes of Toyota, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and LG.

Edited by SantiSuk

Since were in the same subject, anyone have any experience with Tecnogas gas hob?

An Italian company but not sure if its made in thailand or china as well.

Yes, I have one. It has been very good and is economical on gas consumption. We did have a problem with shorting on one of the igniters but they were very quick to send a technician round. My only issue with them is that the frame on which you place the pans over the ring is made of ordinary steel and as a result when pans boiling over, the frame rusts. I need to replace one of the frames now actually. If they were made of stainless steel this would not be an issue. But then it was not expensive and you get what you pay for. Would I buy another? Certainly. You can check out their full range of products on their local website.

• 9 years later...

I just bought a Hafele gas hob 2 weeks ago but yesterday we had trouble keeping the fire ON for some unknown reason. The procedure is to press the hob down and while holding it in position turn it 90 degrees counterclockwise until the fire is lit then keep pressing it down wait for about 5 to 10 seconds before releasing the hob. Normally, this should automatically lock the gas in constant flow and keep a stable burn. However, we experienced the opposite results. The fire just won't stay burning. Whenever we release the hob the fire will snuff out immediately.

To keep the story short, we simply cannot keep the fire burning steadily anymore. Any of you guys had any ideas what to do?

The problem has nothing to do with China. Any factory anywhere in the world makes a product to specifications given to them. If the design and materials are shoddy so will the product no matter what country in the world you make it. You do know the Chinese workers on the assembly laugh at the stupid things western companies ask them to make? They wonder who would ever buy such <deleted>. Yes, they are literally laughing at you and are perfectly capable of making excellent wares.

The problem here is you, all of you. You want cheap, so manufacturers give you cheap. You are the reason you get a piece of junk with a Hafele badge slapped on it. This problem won't end until you go to the store and demand a superior product. Every top brand has cheapened their products into junk to one extent or another no matter how "high end" it is. Case in point. Show me one HOB that doesn't use plastic for the knobs/switches? Save a half baht and the people just continue to buy away so why shouldn't they make junky plastic switches for you. Again, you are the problem. This has nothing to do with China.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1