14 Rai Of Rice Land For 150,000 Baht

Sounds like the same piece of land my Thai has been dithering about for six months. His sister is in business and loaned money to an Ajarn with the chanot on the 14 Rai of land as collateral. Loan value is 150K.

Almost a year of forclosing on the land by a lawyer for the sister, now the lawyer has the land up for auction, much dithering, the owning family is trying desperately to peddle the property before it is sold for the loan value because the land value is greater.

I have been asked to help out the sister by buying the land so she can get her 150k. My response "have her take the land", "she needs the money" "I am not a bank, I say" and the beat goes on.

My long term relationship with an Issaan-er has taught me that poor people from Issan, and perhaps others as well, highly prize owning land and Thais married to Falang expect to acquire land over the years under whatever guise works. It is their security, if falang splits and leaves them high and dry. Much "face" for family in village if members of the family are land owners.

If your seriously considering buying this land for your wife, for whatever reason, you may want to get to the bottom of the "story" regarding the owners of the land and the lands legal status, more to satisfy your curiosity and to create "transperancy" than anything else.

Good luck.

There can be some problems about teak planting on rice- fields. At least in Issaan some soil may be not so suitable. Teak grows slow and gives bad quality in such areas.

And criminal gangs use to drive around and steal teak- trees at night and bad weather after the trees have reached ten years age. Information is bought from locals. Such wood is then sold to factories making furniture. It can be disturbing.

And criminal gangs use to drive around and steal teak- trees at night

Around here large branches disappear over night and eventually you end of with a pollared tree.

As for the land it is very cheap and might suggest unclear title or land reform land that can only be past to lower generations and not sold legally.

Exactly!! That's one good reason why I don't want the hassle of this land

Simon43, as you don't want the hassle, why are you even considering it?

Despite many of the posts in this thread where people are claiming to have bought land, unless they are Thai, they do not own it.

This land will never belong to you. If it has chanot, then it will belong to your wife. For your wife to legally own it, you will have to sign to say that it is bought with her money and that you have no claim on it.

If no chanot, don't even consider it.

One rai + of prime land next to us recently changed hands for 40,000 Baht.

The woman that 'owned' (no chanot) this land lives away from here. It was sold by her nephew and the nephew pocketed the cash.

I can't tell you all the details as it really confused me. But basically land is subject of a registered claim. This type of land is bought and sold on trust and a handshake. System works quite well normally but is not secure.

With chanot, we would have happily paid 150,000 for this land.

The land you are considering may have already been sold once.

Anyway thought you were heading down to open a lea-sure centre in Ko Samui :D

Exactly!! That's one good reason why I don't want the hassle of this land :o

Why does it have to be hassle.... just buy it and "rent" it out... I'm sure your partners family will take care of it for you... :D

totstre :D

Well, my wife has not mentioned this subject since she went into a sulk after my initial reaction! Happy to say she is no longer sulking, but I'm also happy not to raise the subject again.

This land may well be a bargain etc etc, but that is certainly not reason to buy it. As mentioned, we are moving to Samui and will have our hands very full with a hotel project. Yes, I could (she could!) buy it and rent it out/give it to her parents etc, but I'm sure many other plots of land will suddenly be offered to me as a result:)