Uk Qualified Teacher Need Tefl / Tesol?

fruity

A former UK qualified general subjects teacher friend( secondary level & special needs qualification ) would like to teach here in Thailand. To get a position, would he need a TEFL / TESOL certificate?

Thanks in advance & apologies if this topic already covered.

It wouldn't hurt, that's for sure, and would make finding a job easier. But if you have qualifications beyond a tefl degree, you may not need a tefl. Like, teaching Science or Math in English at an International School, or a Thai uni, or even in the corporate sphere, but such jobs are not plentiful. You also have to consider the hiring cycle here in LOS, which may give you plenty of time (four weeks) to get a tefl. Chook dee.

If you are a qualified teacher, as in having a Bachelor's Degree in Education (I can't remember the UK equivalent) and you are licensed to teach in the UK, you most certainly do not need a TEFL.

Of course, getting one is helpful, but experienced teachers pretty much trump everything else.

Fully agree with Scott.

I am the same, UK qualified. Never needed a TEFL. Home country certification pretty much tops everything here so save your money that a TEFL would cost.

You will still need to do the 20 hour 'Thai culture' course but after that you would have no probs getting your 5 year teaching license.

The school you eventually work for should sort out that course for you.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Fully agree with Scott.

I am the same, UK qualified. Never needed a TEFL. Home country certification pretty much tops everything here so save your money that a TEFL would cost.

You will still need to do the 20 hour 'Thai culture' course but after that you would have no probs getting your 5 year teaching license.

Many thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated.

Is there a publication or website advertising teaching positions available in Thailand that would be suitable for my friend as described above? Any information will be very much appreciated.

Cheers in advance :)

Fully agree with Scott.

Many thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated.

Is there a publication or website advertising teaching positions available in Thailand that would be suitable for my friend as described above? Any information will be very much appreciated.

Cheers in advance :)

Im pretty sure chang mai university offers an online TEFL course, you can do it in your own time and costs about half of any of the same regular course. If you're already a qualified teacher that might be a good way to go..

Having said that, I have'nt done it or heard any feedback of it, so i don't know first hand if it has any weight or the quality thereof.

I wonder if any posters have done it and can comment?

Im pretty sure chang mai university offers an online TEFL course, you can do it in your own time and costs about half of any of the same regular course. If you're already a qualified teacher that might be a good way to go..

Having said that, I have'nt done it or heard any feedback of it, so i don't know first hand if it has any weight or the quality thereof.

I wonder if any posters have done it and can comment?

The Chiang Mai University TEFL programs were recently closed by the university. If you click on this link and then click on the "notice regarding International University Serivice (IUS)", you'll read an announcement from the university"

http://www.li.chiangmai.ac.th/