Where To Buy Teaching Books In Bangkok

TehBen

I have just been given the task of teaching critical reading and creative writing. Now whereas for the latter I have a few ideas already, and the former, again, a few ideas; I would like to buy a few books to make it easier for myself and my students to understand.

I have had a look on the dktoday website and there is nothing on critical reading or creative writing, specifically.

So what I am asking is, I want to take a day to visit Bangkok to go to DK and hopefully other places to buy a few books. But other than Chatuchak (which I really dont know very well anyway), and DK, where else could I find teaching materials in Bkk? Are there any shops in or around MBK, Siam or other malls?

The students are M6 and they are not too bad, but I predict that I am going to have trouble explaining critical reading and generating discussion. Obviously it would be great if someone could suggest a particular book or series that would help.

Thanks

Try online sources for materials. You can buy Ebooks from ebay or similar and can cheaply buy CDs or downloads of entire books relevant to your intended purposes. I can't put links to external sites in this thread, but any search engine can help you locate suitable sites containing critical reading resources, not complete published series. If you don't already have a printer, you can pick one up with in-built scanner and retro-fitted external ink tanks for around THB3,000; it'll pay for itself many times over (if you already have one, you know this, of course).

Try online sources for materials. You can buy Ebooks from ebay or similar and can cheaply buy CDs or downloads of entire books relevant to your intended purposes. I can't put links to external sites in this thread, but any search engine can help you locate suitable sites containing critical reading resources, not complete published series. If you don't already have a printer, you can pick one up with in-built scanner and retro-fitted external ink tanks for around THB3,000; it'll pay for itself many times over (if you already have one, you know this, of course).

Try the Chula have bookstore. They have just about everything.

Thanks for the replies but as I stated before, I already tried DKtoday and have looked online; I was asking for bookshops.

Just for future info, I bought some books from a shop in Siam Paragon on the 4th floor. The shop is called Kinokuniya Books and has got books covering a huge number of subjects, plus there are books for all price ranges, so definately recommend.

Most of the shopping malls will have a couple of bookshops. Look out for SE-ED they have a reasonable selection of educational books. Central department stores have a good book section too.

The best shop for educational books that I've seen in Bangkok is the Chula bookshop next to the British Council, in Siam Square.

The Kinokuniya book store at Paragon has a good selection of teaching resources that you might want to consider browsing through, if your headed to Chula anyways. :-) They have some good stuff from the U.K. and the U.S. stashed away kind of behind a column in the children's section for primary and secondary students in a range of subjects. Also, they've got some TESOL book around the corner as well. Quality teaching resources are hard to come by in Thailand, so good luck in your search!wink.gif

Just for future info, I bought some books from a shop in Siam Paragon on the 4th floor. The shop is called Kinokuniya Books and has got books covering a huge number of subjects, plus there are books for all price ranges, so definately recommend.

;)

But thanks for the reply anyway!:)

Edited by benavenell