Listen To Critics, Keep Your Feet On Ground!

george

King warns PM on arrogance

Listen to critics, keep your feet on ground

BANGKOK: His Majesty the King has advised Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra not to let success go to his head.

In his birthday speech, the King said he needed to say something to the prime minister although he knew that Mr Thaksin would not appreciate another person giving him a warning.

In delivering his message to Mr Thaksin, the King referred to Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother's teachings when she was alive.

``When I was 40-50 years old, my mother told me sometimes that I was great but she always added that I must not forget myself. She said I must not float and that my name `Bhumibol' means that I had to keep my feet on the ground.

``She said when I did something good, it's all right to know what I did but I should not be too proud,'' said the King.

He urged the prime minister to be more careful about policies he had implemented, particularly the war on drugs in which 2,500 people were killed.

The King said he believed the real number was far beyond 2,500 deaths, although the actual number killed by state officials might be small.

``People say the prime minister killed 2,500 people in his war on drugs, so how can we take responsibility for this?'' His Majesty said.

He urged the government to verify the cause of those deaths, as some people might have been killed by drug dealers rather than police.

The prime minister had left the matter to CEO ministers and government officials, but nobody had taken responsibility, and the public had to bear the results.

The King said since the prime minister was keen to take responsibility for every matter, he needed to accept any criticism.

``As you're the only one who makes decisions, it's natural that you alone should be pinpointed, but if you did good things, and everyone benefitted, you would benefit also. So don't be angry, and be proud of what you did,'' said the King.

Comparing the prime minister's position to his own, the King said he was in a tighter spot because the constitution did not allow people to criticise the King, so he did not know whether he did right or wrong. ``The only person I could listen to was my mother, who has gone already,'' he said.

The King suggested that Mr Thaksin should listen to the media and allow it freedom.

``You have to read newspapers ... and let them write,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin, in his birthday wish to the King, said drugs were the country's major problem and the government's success in the crusade against drugs showed its loyalty to the King.

His Majesty also commented on the child-centred education system promoted by the government.

``The government has a `think new' concept which encourages students to teach their teachers.

``This is impossible because children have just been born and seen the world. How can they teach the teachers?'' said the King.

``It's true that some teachers cannot teach, but if they teach with the right method, that will enable children to teach them back,'' he said.

The King said teachers also should listen to their students, and not get angry when they express doubts.

Referring to the day the prime minister taught Mathayom 5 students at Samsen school in September, the King said despite the child-centred concept, Mr Thaksin did not allow the students to teach him.

In one part of his speech, the King mentioned rifts among people and called on everyone to maintain harmony and unity.

``The worst rift of all is the rift among people, especially senior ones and those in power, which is hard to heal.

``Don't let the rift happen, and do keep yourselves in harmony,'' he said.

The King said his birthday wish was for people to listen to his words and put them into practice.

``My voice has turned hoarse after this speech, and if people won't listen it's their business. If you listen but don't follow my words then you could get into trouble. But if you listen and think about it, that would be good.''

--Bangkok Post 2003-12-05

Long live the King. He is indeed the best live monarch in the world.

I hope Khun Thaksin, really takes the King's advice seriously. The Prime minister tries too hard sometimes to be like a former Prime Misiter of S.E. Asia and aslo the last Prime minister of a neighbouring country who retired recently, to whom he referred to as his elder brother.

I hope that he will start a feedback department that has a website that is multilingual.

No one could have said this better as His Majesty! :D

My wish is, that Mr. Thaksin would be reading more in the book

-Think like His Majesty the King-

but probably that's sold out, didn't see any copies around in the bookstores.......

:o