'Uncle Boonmee' Director Honored In New York

sabaijai

'Uncle Boonmee' Director Honored

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 28, 2010

From WWD.COM

Anyone in New York who could pronounce the name of Thai filmmaker Apichatpong Weerasethakul, plus several men and women who couldn’t, gathered at Monkey Bar Monday night for a dinner honoring the director, whose award-winning “Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives” recently screened as part of the New York Film Festival.

The movie, which won the Palme d’Or in Cannes, is a trippy story about spiritualism and reincarnation told through characters such as a deceased son who comes back as a “ghost-monkey” and a princess who is seduced by a catfish. But according to Weerasethakul, (who also goes by “Joe” as a courtesy) the audience of social and art types had no trouble understanding the film. He called their questions during the Q&A session “very intelligent,” if not puzzling. “[someone] asked about the relationship of my film and quantum physics,” Weerasethakul said. “So, okay, let me get back to you in a few years. But this kind of question, it opened my way of thinking also about my film.”

The evening was hosted by longtime Weerasethakul fans Francesco Vezzoli, artist Rirkrit Tiravanija, Black Frame’s Brian Phillips, designer-slash-lawyer Chomwan Weeraworawit and Tilda Swinton and Marc Jacobs (neither of whom attended). But most people in the room, including David Byrne and Greta Gerwig, were first introduced to Weerasethakul’s work with his 2004 psychological drama “Tropical Malady.”

“I find his films kind of hypnotic and very emotional,” Gerwig said. “I think I enjoy how much kind of don’t understand about it, it’s exciting for something to be so oblique and hard to access they’re like a film version of poetry or something.”

Weerasethakul admitted the turnout was a little intimidating. “My movie is about jungle, it’s about nature,” he said. “And for me this is another kind of jungle and I really need to get used to this jungle.”

I love world cinema and have been trying to get hold of his films in Chiang Mai for months. No luck at all. Have his movies been banned in this country? I know his political views are quite anti-establishment in some ways.

Anyway, if someone could suggest where I might be able to get hold of any of his movies in Chiang Mai, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

Edited by hanuman1

I love world cinema and have been trying to get hold of his films in Chiang Mai for months. No luck at all. Have his movies been banned in this country? I know his political views are quite anti-establishment in some ways.

Anyway, if someone could suggest where I might be able to get hold of any of his movies in Chiang Mai, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

I saw a few dvd s of his in a shop in Bangkok Art Center , so they must be distributed although not widely shown.

Cheers.

I saw a few dvd s of his in a shop in Bangkok Art Center , so they must be distributed although not widely shown.

He has been virtually ignored by the Thai establishment despite his international success and the honour he has brought to Thailand.

Whether that is because he has openly expressed his support for the red movement and shown his distaste for the greed,corruption and selfishness of the Bangkok elite is a matter on which I could not possibly comment.

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/40581?tid=14

I love art films. Thai audiences don't. There is no conspiracy in Thailand against this great director. There is simply NO MARKET for his art here.

Next ...

I didn't say there was a conspiracy.I just said that the elite has not recognised anywhere near satisfactorily the one Thai artist of internationally claimedf genius.The elite prefers posturing second raters like Sumet Jumsai and SP Somtow, because they are "on message.

But you are right about art films not reaching a mass audience.It was ever thus.

I love art films. Thai audiences don't. There is no conspiracy in Thailand against this great director. There is simply NO MARKET for his art here.

Next ...

I didn't say there was a conspiracy.I just said that the elite has not recognised anywhere near satisfactorily the one Thai artist of internationally claimedf genius.The elite prefers posturing second raters like Sumet Jumsai and SP Somtow, because they are "on message.

But you are right about art films not reaching a mass audience.It was ever thus.

maybe if it followed the philosophy of Thai Buddhism, the 96% of Thais, who are Buddhist, would be attracted. have read somewhere that Thai Buddhism does not even believe in reincarnation, like Tibetan Buddhism does.

mebbe screen it in Tibet, with Tibetan characters and have a HIT

Next ...

Indeed. I spent some days with some people from an extended family-angle and they watched the Thai soaps like it was the only way to get food, and then two kinds of Thai movies; ghost movies or comedies where there is a lot of boooing-noises.

It was like being intellectually raped since I really like good movies [and tv-shows].

So, sadly, I think this movie has virtually no market here.

Next ...

Indeed. I spent some days with some people from an extended family-angle and they watched the Thai soaps like it was the only way to get food, and then two kinds of Thai movies; ghost movies or comedies where there is a lot of boooing-noises.

It was like being intellectually raped since I really like good movies [and tv-shows].

So, sadly, I think this movie has virtually no market here.

I tend to agree, as made clear from my previous post.

However if I understand him correctly, Jingthing is saying something in addition, namely that the cool or non existent response by the Thai artistic establishment including the Ministry of Culture is simply a consequence of the film having very limited local commercial appeal.If that is what he is saying then I disagree.The establishment here would not appreciate the director's red sympathies, his pleasure and pride in Isaan culture and scarcely disguised contempt for the Bangkok elite.

However of I am wrong and have missed news of say a Ministry of Culture reception (the kind that people like admiring foreigners Tilda Swinton and others are hosting) for perhaps the only recognised Thai international artist, I will need to reconsider.But as things stand this artist is too "off message" for the elite.

More a case of www.torent.com as opposed to www.torrentz.com

More a case of somebody making their first post on a forum being immediately dissed by two members with nearly 30,000 posts between them in a pompous and patronising fashion. " These newbies eh jing, nudge nudge, wink wink". Here was somebody, who was obviously enthusiastic about the topic under discussion and wanting to get involved, being treated with disdain. Maybe he made an honest mistake with the link he quoted, who knows. Not everybody is perfect. But he or she will probably think twice before making another contribution, and who could blame them. Well done both of you.

You're wrong about me. I have nothing against newbies. I like newbies. But that was a dodgy post. Sorry, it was. Newbie or no newbie. BTW, I don't think there actually ARE any torrents for that movie that don't involve downloading software and paying a service fee.

If you bothered to check my posting history (if you have a year or two of spare time) you will see that on countless occasions I have written very long helpful posts, especially in the visa section, often to total newbies. Like, I said, I like newbies. I suggest you think a little harder before insulting people unfairly.

I fully accept what you and mca are saying. No unfair insults were intended i can assure you, not my style, but if that is how it is perceived i apologise to you both. All i was trying to do was to put myself in the poor guys shoes, making my first post, probably thinking long and hard about it first, we have all been there. Then after taking the plunge, within a few minutes of posting getting two comments like that. You have to admit it was a bit unfair to put it mildly. I think i would have been a bit miffed and disappointed to say the least.. Thats all. Hope that clears things up. I may well follow up your suggestion re checking your posting history jingthing. If i set aside an hour a day how many years would you estimate it would take? Bear in mind that i am not a young man! ;)

When Uncle Boonmee played at Emporium nightly for a month, the cinema hall was full every night, and sold out on most weekend nights. He has plenty of Thai fans on all sides of the spectrum. In fact that film, and Apichatpong himself as an artist, has enjoyed more support from the so-called elites, than any other sector of society, it seems. Apichatpong moves in rather elite circles in Bangkok and his fan base is almost entirely found here.

I know Joei personally, and his sense of disgust for corruption and greed run across the board, from members of government right into the UDD leadeership and their principal sponsor abroad. In personal conversation he expresses support for ideals held by anyone who believes in civil rights and democratic freedoms, but in no way, that I have seen, has he identified these as exclusive of one movement or another.

When Uncle Boonmee played at Emporium nightly for a month, the cinema hall was full every night, and sold out on most weekend nights. He has plenty of Thai fans on all sides of the spectrum. In fact that film, and Apichatpong himself as an artist, has enjoyed more support from the so-called elites, than any other sector of society, it seems. Apichatpong moves in rather elite circles in Bangkok and his fan base is almost entirely found here.

I know Joei personally, and his sense of disgust for corruption and greed run across the board, from members of government right into the UDD leadeership and their principal sponsor abroad. In personal conversation he expresses support for ideals held by anyone who believes in civil rights and democratic freedoms, but in no way, that I have seen, has he identified these as exclusive of one movement or another.

Thanks for that Sabaijai, and it alters my position because I can recognise personal knowledge and perception when I see it.

On the other hand Apichatpong's many interviews with Western critics suggest his line is not really the wishy washy on the one hand...on the other, both sides are equally at fault ... cop out.It is quite evident where his sympathies lie even perhaps he doesn't broadcast them undiluted among the Bangkok elite.What his interviews demonstrate is his insistence on the complexity of the political situation, and that - given the tycoons(above all Thaksin on the Red side), businessmen and educated people involved on both sides - this is not a straightforward class war as the more left wing Reds would have us believe.Actually this is very much the line that reputable commentators like Pasuk/Baker maintain.Butb it's very clear which group he finds distasteful and which group, with certainly many caveats, he finds broadly sympathetic.

And while I'm glad to hear about the Emporium sell out, it doesn't alter the fact that the response of the Ministry of Culture (okay it's known this Ministry is a joke, but still) and the elitist establishment has been pathetic - and the reasons are well known.If he is declared a National Artist like that tit Sumet Jumsai, I will think again.

... The elite prefers posturing second raters like Sumet Jumsai and SP Somtow, because they are "on message. ...

... The establishment here would not appreciate the director's red sympathies, his pleasure and pride in Isaan culture and scarcely disguised contempt for the Bangkok elite.

However of I am wrong and have missed news of say a Ministry of Culture reception (the kind that people like admiring foreigners Tilda Swinton and others are hosting) for perhaps the only recognised Thai international artist, I will need to reconsider.But as things stand this artist is too "off message" for the elite.

Thanks for that Sabaijai, and it alters my position because I can recognise personal knowledge and perception when I see it.

<snip>

And while I'm glad to hear about the Emporium sell out, it doesn't alter the fact that the response of the Ministry of Culture (okay it's known this Ministry is a joke, but still) and the elitist establishment has been pathetic - and the reasons are well known.If he is declared a National Artist like that tit Sumet Jumsai, I will think again.

Somehow I don't think Sabaijai altered your position. You might "recognise personal knowledge" but you still ignore it.

It started off as 'the elite don't like him because he was not "on message", and finished off with the same dig at the elite.

... The elite prefers posturing second raters like Sumet Jumsai and SP Somtow, because they are "on message. ...

... The establishment here would not appreciate the director's red sympathies, his pleasure and pride in Isaan culture and scarcely disguised contempt for the Bangkok elite.

<snip>

Somehow I don't think Sabaijai altered your position. You might "recognise personal knowledge" but you still ignore it.

It started off as 'the elite don't like him because he was not "on message", and finished off with the same dig at the elite.

I suggest you re-read the posts.There is no inconsistency and I appreciated Sabaijai's personal knowledge.

<snip>

I suggest you re-read the posts.There is no inconsistency and I appreciated Sabaijai's personal knowledge.

I agree. There is no inconsistency. It was the same from the start to the finish. No change.

That was my point.

"Thanks for that Sabaijai, and it alters my position because I can recognise personal knowledge and perception when I see it."

But it didn't alter your position at all.

<snip>

I agree. There is no inconsistency. It was the same from the start to the finish. No change.

That was my point.

"Thanks for that Sabaijai, and it alters my position because I can recognise personal knowledge and perception when I see it."

But it didn't alter your position at all.

Do you not understand that I was saying Sabaijai's comments are consistent overall with my own?I acknowledged willingly Sabaijai's points that Apichatpong's views were more complex than I initially suggested. Read the posts again more carefully.And with respect try also reading the director's many interviews which clearly set out his views.

On the other hand Apichatpong's many interviews with Western critics suggest his line is not really the wishy washy on the one hand...on the other, both sides are equally at fault ... cop out.It is quite evident where his sympathies lie even perhaps he doesn't broadcast them undiluted among the Bangkok elite.What his interviews demonstrate is his insistence on the complexity of the political situation, and that - given the tycoons(above all Thaksin on the Red side), businessmen and educated people involved on both sides - this is not a straightforward class war as the more left wing Reds would have us believe.Actually this is very much the line that reputable commentators like Pasuk/Baker maintain.Butb it's very clear which group he finds distasteful and which group, with certainly many caveats, he finds broadly sympathetic.

Thanks.

I haven't seen any interview in any publication, Western or Thai, in which Joei has expressed support for the Red movement or UDD (or other party/movement). He would be disturbed to think that any of his statements had been interpreted that way. He sees anti-democratic tendencies in both red and yellow camps, and stands categorically against violent overthrow of the government, whether by the military or by armed mobs.

The Free Thai Cinema Movement, which he founded, won a clear victory over the MOC when they successfully lobbied the gov't to institute the current rating system for films in place of censorship. The law isn't perfect, as he would be first to point out, but it is a major improvement over the situation under previous administrations.

Lee Chatametikool, Joei's editor (who is about to direct his own film, which Joei will produce) told me Uncle Boonmee scored better at the boxoffice in Bangkok than any Thai film released in 2010. Sure it's not a blockbuster but there are plenty of Thais who enjoyed it.

Joei, himself a lover of classic Thai cinema, based each of the six reels in Uncle Boonmee on a different Thai film genre. He is a Bangkok Thai, by the way, born here to Bangkok parents. They later moved to Khon Kaen to work as physicians, so Joei grew up living in a hospital. He cannot speak Isan Thai and had to hire native speakers to help create the dialog for Uncle Boonmee.

Read more about the party in the blog by Chomwan Weeraworawit, a chief co-sponsor of the NY party, who has worked as a creative director for Thailand's 14th richest person.

http://chomontherox.blogspot.com/search/label/celebrations

Apichatpong made some comments at the Cannes festival which at the time sounded quite supportive of the UDD movement. What fuelled people's cynicism is that there was a certain somebody in the audience when he made such comments. Some people have even questioned (do doubt owing to the presence of this person) whether Apichatpong deserved to win the award. Not my opinion, I must add - I have yet to see the film.

A Nation editoral covering Apichatpong and the other V11 incident did state that their vocal political opinions have gone on to detrimental to their popularity within Thailand.

post-5600-0-58314100-1289400163_thumb.jp

Edited by Insight

Apichatpong made some comments at the Cannes festival which at the time sounded quite supportive of the UDD movement. What fuelled people's cynicism is that there was a certain somebody in the audience when he made such comments. Some people have even questioned (do doubt owing to the presence of this person) whether Apichatpong deserved to win the award. Not my opinion, I must add - I have yet to see the film.

A Nation editoral covering Apichatpong and the other V11 incident did state that their vocal political opinions have gone on to detrimental to their popularity within Thailand.

Could you post those comments which you say sounded supportive of the UDD movement? You've already heard from someone who knows the guy well and says he's not affiliated or directly supportive of any specific movement.

Honestly, it only takes someone to so much as fart in the direction of Bangkok and you've got them down as a terrorist-loving, Taksin-sucking political activist.

Calm down, McCarthy. Life's too short....