'Uncle Boonmee' Director Honored In New York

sabaijai

Apichatpong made some comments at the Cannes festival which at the time sounded quite supportive of the UDD movement. What fuelled people's cynicism is that there was a certain somebody in the audience when he made such comments. Some people have even questioned (do doubt owing to the presence of this person) whether Apichatpong deserved to win the award. Not my opinion, I must add - I have yet to see the film.

A Nation editoral covering Apichatpong and the other V11 incident did state that their vocal political opinions have gone on to detrimental to their popularity within Thailand.

Could you post those comments which you say sounded supportive of the UDD movement? You've already heard from someone who knows the guy well and says he's not affiliated or directly supportive of any specific movement.

Honestly, it only takes someone to so much as fart in the direction of Bangkok and you've got them down as a terrorist-loving, Taksin-sucking political activist.

Calm down, McCarthy. Life's too short....

Hope this isn't an attempt to shoot the messenger - I'm just reiterating the perception of a fair few. Anyways for a quote put this into Google:

``I hope for the best. Personally I think this kind of thing was bound to happen because of the gap between the poor and underprivileged and the rich,'' he said. ``Our governments, present and past, have been such a mess.

Misinterpreted or repeating the UDD "class war" mantra?