7-Eleven Joins Thai Police In Fighting Crimes Against Foreign Tourists

webfact

7-Eleven Joins in Fighting Crimes on Foreign Tourists

The Royal Thai Police have joined hands with 7-Eleven to roll out a program in which tourists can report emergency incidents to Police via participating 7-Eleven branches in popular tourist areas.

National Police Chief, General Wichien Pojphosri; Permanent Secretary for the Tourism and Sports Ministry, Sombat Kuruphan; and Managing Director of CP All, operator of 7-11 convenience store chains in Thailand, Piyawat Thitasatthaworakul signed an agreement to launch a program that will allow tourists to file complaints or report incidents at participating 7-Eleven stores.

The program will first be piloted at twelve 7-Eleven branches in the coastal city of Pattaya in Chonburi province before being expanded to other foreign tourist attractions across the nation.

Foreign tourists can file complaints with the respective 7-Eleven staff, who will then contact Tourism Police via the 1155 hotline for assistance.

The staff have undergone special training to facilitate the program.

The initiative aims at making travelers feel more secure about traveling in Thailand and about the country's security measures.

It is also intended to encourage public involvement in keeping watch in neighborhoods and protecting local tourist sites.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-05

footer_n.gif

Well... most 7-11's seem to have an abundance of staff, so maybe this could work.

TheWalkingMan

It could work only if the staff at those 7 eleven stores can understand or speak english , and so far that is hardly the case. Imagine a Russia guy who speak really little english oppose to a seven eleven staff with the same english skill .. that wouldnt be that fun !

I think the police are losing the plot. After basically an endless stream of bad press, they are fighting back by telling tourists to tell the ladyboys working at 7/11 about the crime that just happened to them ???

Here is a free tip. How about stopping crime in the first place, instead of a new bizarre way to report it. Instead of the police taking all their time blocking traffic so VIPs can rapidly whiz around and stopping Thais at the endless checkpoints to steal  their money, they need to follow western policing. Meaning the police are cruising around everywhere looking for crime. 

Somebody asked me one time if they would get stopped by the police at night. I said no, they are all at the Karaoke bars spending the money they stole that day.... :cheesy:

Great idea! At least you can have a beer while getting things sorted out! :D

But seriously, it's not a bad idea. If you are a tourist here for a short stay, you won't have a cell phone, probably don't even know about the tourist police much less where they are. And most police don't speak English. At least you can head into 7/11 and have them make a call for you. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Hey, at least they are trying...

And yes, they do work at night. My friend got stopped in Bangkok a few weeks ago and didn't pass the sobriety test. Luckily, being a Thai hi-so, they let him park his car and come back and get it the next day rather than towing it...but he did have to pay the fine....obviously.

:bah: I think it is a bloody good idea.

The 7 eleven's are a farang's 1st thai home when he finds his away around the out backs of Thailand by themselve for the 1st time. So there may be teething problems like drunk Russians trying to talk English but it is at least making an attempt to allowing English speaking falang to make contact with an English speaking police link when you need most to be to have some one understand you.

Sawasdee kha, can I help you sir.

Sawasdee Khrap. Yes, I would like 2 boxes of Marlborough, one Pot Noodle, 2 Bottles f Chang and 12 Policeman please as I have just been mugged by 20 Thai's just sitting outside.

Of course sir. That will be 290 Baht and the Police will be there tomorrow. Sawasdee Kha, next please.

Sawasdee kha, can I help you sir.

Sawasdee Khrap. Yes, I would like 2 boxes of Marlborough, one Pot Noodle, 2 Bottles f Chang and 12 Policeman please as I have just been mugged by 20 Thai's just sitting outside.

Of course sir. That will be 290 Baht and the Police will be there tomorrow. Sawasdee Kha, next please.

Hilarious.

So who will the 7-Eleven people go to report when an irate boyfriend mauls his girlfriend inside their shop with the CCTV recording the whole act?

My only guess would be the folks at Family Mart.

1. As someone already mentioned staff at 7-11 hardly speak any English

2. So a victim is to walk around from 7-11 to 7-11 trying to find which one can help?

3. Whats the kickback to 7-11?

4. What would be a response time? 24 hours?

5. What about Family Marts? why not involve them and also may be the tailors, since there is one on every corner.

Now they say staff have undergone special training, what training was that? Police does not have any training, so what did they teach the 7-11 staff? How about having the "great little helpers" the farang volunteers stay at those 7-11, since there is no shortage of them trying to get in.

2. So a victim is to walk around from 7-11 to 7-11 trying to find which one can help?

5. What about Family Marts? why not involve them and also may be the tailors, since there is one on every corner.

Now they say staff have undergone special training, what training was that? Police does not have any training, so what did they teach the 7-11 staff? How about having the "great little helpers" the farang volunteers stay at those 7-11, since there is no shortage of them trying to get in.

I dont know what you're all b*tching about, they offer to HELP police, not take over their duties. they hire pretty good people and screen thoroughly. if you cant find police, 7 11 is a good place to check.

why all the unecessary and untrue negative remarks? Why so many complaints? why not just go back to your homeland then?

I dont know what you're all b*tching about, they offer to HELP police, not take over their duties. they hire pretty good people and screen thoroughly. if you cant find police, 7 11 is a good place to check.

why all the unecessary and untrue negative remarks? Why so many complaints? why not just go back to your homeland then?

They can hardly do their own duties, so perhaps they need to improve on that before taking on new duties.

It always takes 3 of them to scan my phone bill when i come to pay it.

By the sound of things you would be one of those "great little helpers" so what training have you done?

Which parts of the posts did you find untrue?

You state they hire pretty good people, must be because they pay such a huge salary and their people are so great that they change every month or so.

Hope to see you in one of those 7-11 stores helping people out with your knowledge and wisdom.<_<

The initiative aims at making travelers feel more secure about traveling in Thailand and about the country's security measures.

Ohh yeah.. Now I know the CSI skills and accountability falls on the min wage staff populating a convenience store.. I feel sooooo much safer !! :rolleyes:

Basically this is a good idea.

7/11 staff do know the word for police.

There are not many tourist police stations, so 7/11 should have the

number for the nearest one and get an English speaker or some equivalent

to show up from there. At least it significantly increases the number of

places to report a crime and contact police.

So not a bad idea.

Police, police help! Should be understood my someone in most 7/11.

From there if they can remember the local police phone number it works.

And a lot easier than trying to get directions to the nearest tourist police

from the staff at 7/11

Well... most 7-11's seem to have an abundance of staff, so maybe this could work.

TheWalkingMan

It could work only if the staff at those 7 eleven stores can understand or speak english , and so far that is hardly the case. Imagine a Russia guy who speak really little english oppose to a seven eleven staff with the same english skill .. that wouldnt be that fun !

That was my first reaction. This project will only work if they either hire English speaking workers or put them through school themselves.

The only thing that 7-11 employees and Police have in common are that they probably make about the same income.

Classic situation whereby the 7 11 chain is a huge target weekly for robbery (not disclosed in the press) and they are now doing referral work to the Police? How? They don't speak English, the internal music in-store is so loud no one can hear, but the theory is sound with 7 11's just about everywhere. Maybe just get the Police to do something useful like work at 7 11's instead of ripping off graft! ... dry.gif

Basically this is a good idea.

7/11 staff do know the word for police.

There are not many tourist police stations, so 7/11 should have the

number for the nearest one and get an English speaker or some equivalent

to show up from there.

I do not think there are any tourist police stations, there is only 1.

As per OP staff will be calling the general number not the station number.

Being tourist police, one would expect that all tourist police speak English.

As for understanding "police help, police help" for starters i would not be so sure it will be understood(it always takes 3 go's IN THAI to buy 500 baht phone card, and while my Thai may not be the best, but speaking in Thai and showing 5 fingers and hearing words like DTAC, i would of thought would be enough to get the idea, but sadly it is not and i always need to repeat myself and show my fingers minimum 3 times) So to understand "police help" may be little harder then you imagine.

Not to mention if someone was in such a need, last thing on their mind would be to run to nearest 7-11 in hope its the one that offers help.

And lastly while it might in some freakish way be a great idea, but usually all the crime against tourists d'not occur in tourist heavily populated areas.

Edited by kuffki

Thank you Thailand for bringing a smile to my face. Today has been a tough day in the office, i can always count on thaivisa at the expense of the thai police to cheer me. funny story! i feel so much safer now....

BTW when i get pulled over by some traffic cops doing an illegal road stop.... do i also report that to 7-11or should i report that to the post office... tesco.... 55555 ....i love this country!!!!

Guess who is negotiating a contract to provide the Police with extra storage facilities?

What will this program deliver except piles of claims, and potentially positive communication for the tourism business.?

My mind is twisted .. probably been in this country for too long.

Should they also better stop the"Thai rak Thai " thing also in case of incidents to always siding their fellow country people even when they are at fault ......, this should give more confidence then the 7/11 thing....; and not forget to stop the tea party thing :whistling:

How will it be advertized ? by sticking a talking, waving, man sized dummy outside 7/11 saying " report your mugging here" ? But seriously though, how many short stay tourists would know about this, and who would opt to go to a police station, just like in every other country in the world.

Never heard such nonsense !!!