Would You Pay 20,000Baht To Catch This Fish?

zoso

Just called Bungsamran. The angler didn't join any fishing tour company. He paid 20,000bahts and the guides were from Bungsamran. Surprising he fished at central platform as Bunmgsaran offered me free bungalow number 1 guranteed one arapamai and one and half hours to catch as many as possible for 20,000baht. Was told there is one that weighs 200kg plus true?

The one caught suppose to be 150kg. DISPUTABLE ??

post-110955-0-89020100-1289226365_thumb.

Just called Bungsamran. The angler didn't join any fishing tour company. He paid 20,000bahts and the guides were from Bungsamran. Surprising he fished at central platform as Bunmgsaran offered me free bungalow number 1 guranteed one arapamai and one and half hours to catch as many as possible for 20,000baht. Was told there is one that weighs 200kg plus true?

I posted a pole recently asking people their opinions on the size of a large Arapaima one of our guests captured at Palm Tree last month, becuase the owner suggests an obscene weight, but I know the fish is definetly 130kg plus based on measurements. Although the weights can be very deceptive, people over and under estimate them quite frequently. I'd say the one here is a 100kg plus but unlikely 150kg. I think they offer you as manay Arapaima as you like, knowing full well you will take 1 from the swim they put you in, and that will likely be the end of it. Last time we did it for a guest was January (pics attached) at that time they told us that it was 20,000K if you got the photo 5,000K if you hooked up but didnt land the fish, only one large fish allowed.

post-32215-0-68777500-1289247886_thumb.j

post-32215-0-91641400-1289247923_thumb.j

post-32215-0-69254700-1289248120_thumb.j

I agree with you arapamais(big fishes) should not be handled this way. Those I saw caught by anglers were in bungalows and anglers took picture with fish in the water as it's near the bank. This one was caught on the central platform and it's pretty deep so perhaps, right or wrong, the fish was brought out as the angler who paid 20,000baht surely wants a documented proof. For arapamais- even it is an air breather - hold the fish in the water till it takes a breath before releasing it. Or surprisingly due to stress being caught and exhausted it may drown.

I am an ornamental fish hobbyist. I keep Plecos, Koi, Discus,Arowanas,even Piranhas'till it was banned by the Singapore Government you name I have kept it. Fishes have body slime it's their first line of defense against pathogens and others. For example mekong is a scareless fish-there are no scales to protect it- so body slime is important. It breath through the skin. There are many factors but to cut it short the point is whenever a fish,regardless of size and species,is caught,netted and brought up the fish is stressed, exhausted and scratched. So where is the middle ground?

As to what price to charge to catch an arapamai it's debatable. Thailand is the most successful country to breed captive arapamais. Arapamais,Siamese Carps,Mekong and Chao Phraya catfishes are on CITES endangered species list. There is only one licensed seller of mekong catfish in Thailand but then again this is Thailand where money can buy anything.

And I agree with Kenny999 I caught arapamais but not keen now. The only fish I am very keen are Siamese Carps,

The only place where fish are treated the correct way must be Gillhams but I doubt that happens any where else in this country, when I have been fishing I always witness poor fish care, concrete or grass nearly every one I have seen goes for concrete. even big Mekongs are thrown back in to the water and I mean thrown, but what can you do!!!!!!

Fish care improves wherever there is a western influence, we have always used unhooking mats on Bungsamran it was clear loads of fish where being blinded or getting their fins snapped between wooden planks. After 3 or 4 years of us doing that the owners finally put the black rubber mats down. Not a great improvement but a massive leap in awareness for a Thai ran venue. We can all do our bit expat anglers and tour companies alike...take mats wherever there is no grass to unhook a fish on (just about everywhere now), use barbless for predators, dont use trebles on "easy" Barra waters or if you must use just one with flattened barbs. Practice catch and release even in the wild. The Thais do take notice of what us tingtong farangs do, and slowly almost so slow as for it to be imperceptable, some are changing their ways. When the nations anglers start realising that fish care is worthwhile the sport may explode, as it may become more culturally acceptable when they see fish do not have to be harmed from sport angling.

I agree with you arapamais(big fishes) should not be handled this way. Those I saw caught by anglers were in bungalows and anglers took picture with fish in the water as it's near the bank. This one was caught on the central platform and it's pretty deep so perhaps, right or wrong, the fish was brought out as the angler who paid 20,000baht surely wants a documented proof. For arapamais- even it is an air breather - hold the fish in the water till it takes a breath before releasing it. Or surprisingly due to stress being caught and exhausted it may drown.

I am an ornamental fish hobbyist. I keep Plecos, Koi, Discus,Arowanas,even Piranhas'till it was banned by the Singapore Government you name I have kept it. Fishes have body slime it's their first line of defense against pathogens and others. For example mekong is a scareless fish-there are no scales to protect it- so body slime is important. It breath through the skin. There are many factors but to cut it short the point is whenever a fish,regardless of size and species,is caught,netted and brought up the fish is stressed, exhausted and scratched. So where is the middle ground?

As to what price to charge to catch an arapamai it's debatable. Thailand is the most successful country to breed captive arapamais. Arapamais,Siamese Carps,Mekong and Chao Phraya catfishes are on CITES endangered species list. There is only one licensed seller of mekong catfish in Thailand but then again this is Thailand where money can buy anything.

And I agree with Kenny999 I caught arapamais but not keen now. The only fish I am very keen are Siamese Carps,

The only place where fish are treated the correct way must be Gillhams but I doubt that happens any where else in this country, when I have been fishing I always witness poor fish care, concrete or grass nearly every one I have seen goes for concrete. even big Mekongs are thrown back in to the water and I mean thrown, but what can you do!!!!!!

Fish care improves wherever there is a western influence, we have always used unhooking mats on Bungsamran it was clear loads of fish where being blinded or getting their fins snapped between wooden planks. After 3 or 4 years of us doing that the owners finally put the black rubber mats down. Not a great improvement but a massive leap in awareness for a Thai ran venue. We can all do our bit expat anglers and tour companies alike...take mats wherever there is no grass to unhook a fish on (just about everywhere now), use barbless for predators, dont use trebles on "easy" Barra waters or if you must use just one with flattened barbs. Practice catch and release even in the wild. The Thais do take notice of what us tingtong farangs do, and slowly almost so slow as for it to be imperceptable, some are changing their ways. When the nations anglers start realising that fish care is worthwhile the sport may explode, as it may become more culturally acceptable when they see fish do not have to be harmed from sport angling.

A very good short post, as for fish care improving I think on the whole that will never happen because a lot of the culprits are Farang, Thai's but not all see fish as dinner and that is all fish will ever be to them, its very similar to Motorbike crash helmets you will never ever get all Thais or Farangs to wear them, here it is about personel choice and I chose to treat fish with the care they deserve. BSR unhooking mats yes I fished there for 2 days recently and what unhooking mats they were bits of black stuff which was as hard as the wooden flooring plus the guide I was with on most occasions did not bother putting the fish on this near non exsistant mat. maybe in 100 yrs it will change but for now us fish lovers just have to do our bit for fish care!!!

Supermats...great for Bungsamran, Shadow Lake, Cha Am, also great for weighing, and carry all your gear to the swim. We have lifted and lowered 108lb siamese carp and 150lb+ mekongs with these.

Supermats are you selling them? you have told us about them so where do you buy in Thaialnd?

Edited by kenny999

Supermats...great for Bungsamran, Shadow Lake, Cha Am, also great for weighing, and carry all your gear to the swim. We have lifted and lowered 108lb siamese carp and 150lb+ mekongs with these.

Supermats are you selling them? you have told us about them so where do you buy in Thaialnd?

Hi Kenny we have them made for us, as mats for the carp angler where falling to bits inside 3 months. We selected a course grade Kordura Kaki Nylon to stop the Sawais and other cats pectoral thins spiking them, and it seems to do a good a job, the outer padding is zipped compartment containing foam balls (great when you run out for foam on the hook!)...I just measure one it is in fact 56" by 46" inches so not quite 6ft long more like 5", but a good size all the same, handles made from good nylon webbing, closes with a 2 inch velcro strip down the long edges (closes to about 28" X 46"). Have never consider selling them, but would be happy too as it certainly save a few fish fins and eyes! If your serious about 1 and passing thru Hua Hin let me know, we always carry a few spares!

Hi Kenny we have them made for us, as mats for the carp angler where falling to bits inside 3 months. We selected a course grade Kordura Kaki Nylon to stop the Sawais and other cats pectoral thins spiking them, and it seems to do a good a job, the outer padding is zipped compartment containing foam balls (great when you run out for foam on the hook!)...I just measure one it is in fact 56" by 46" inches so not quite 6ft long more like 5", but a good size all the same, handles made from good nylon webbing, closes with a 2 inch velcro strip down the long edges (closes to about 28" X 46"). Have never consider selling them, but would be happy too as it certainly save a few fish fins and eyes! If your serious about 1 and passing thru Hua Hin let me know, we always carry a few spares!

Will be coming up to fish Cha Am some time in Dec will let you know when, how much will you let it go for?

I posted a pole recently asking people their opinions on the size of a large Arapaima one of our guests captured at Palm Tree last month, becuase the owner suggests an obscene weight, but I know the fish is definetly 130kg plus based on measurements. Although the weights can be very deceptive, people over and under estimate them quite frequently. I'd say the one here is a 100kg plus but unlikely 150kg. I think they offer you as manay Arapaima as you like, knowing full well you will take 1 from the swim they put you in, and that will likely be the end of it. Last time we did it for a guest was January (pics attached) at that time they told us that it was 20,000K if you got the photo 5,000K if you hooked up but didnt land the fish, only one large fish allowed.

Although it's 2 years old this is a posting-my fellow aquarium hobbyists in Singapore pointed me to- in another forum debating the true size of an arapamai worldwide including Thailand which a Thai fishing tour company was invovled too.

Edited by Jockstar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello bought the landing/unhooking mat in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Thanks for the info, its a bit too far but still.

Perhaps you could order on-line, Nash do have some good ones

I was thinking of that or asking fishing thailand to make me one if the price is right. I met up with Damien who postes here too under an other name (i wont disclose) and we had fun discovering that we both posted here.

• 3 months later...

This is the landing mat I have at Bungsamran. It zip up like a briefcase/portfolio bag. Big enough for huge fish.

http://www.thaivisa....ttach_id=128618

Where did you get it ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is not a landing/unhooking mat that you "have" at Bungsamran.

Neither was it purchased in Malaysia.

I personally know who designed and created that particular mat in your photograph... and you cannot buy them anywhere, unless it's from the guy that actually makes them.

I know that they are built from the ground up for a specific task... using difficult to find, very durable, strong and high quality material. The materials themselves have been sourced in Thailand, it was also manufactured in Thailand and the one in the photo is not owned by you... it is owned by someone else.

You should not tells lies. You should give credit where credit is due and say who the mat actually belongs to.

This is the landing mat I have at Bungsamran. It zip up like a briefcase/portfolio bag. Big enough for huge fish.

Where did you get it ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally know who designed and created that particular mat in your photograph... and you cannot buy them anywhere, unless it's from the guy that actually makes them.

I know that they are built from the ground up for a specific task... using difficult to find, very durable, strong and high quality material. The materials themselves have been sourced in Thailand, it was also manufactured in Thailand and the one in the photo is not owned by you... it is owned by someone else.

You should not tells lies. You should give credit where credit is due and say who the mat actually belongs to.

Someone telling porky pies surley not!!!!! lol

I've never fished in a pay for pond. (Canadian, we don't do that.)

In Thailand I fish mostly from a kayak in the Andaman for smallish jacks. For THB22,000 I can take a charter out of Ranong to the Burma Banks and catch 20kg jacks etc for 18 hrs a day for 3 days.

Where did you get it ?

Forum has gone very quiet since the last Mat post mmmm wonder why?

Where did you get it ?

Forum has gone very quiet since the last Mat post mmmm wonder why?

Maybe because its cold and people are not fishing ? I wanted to fish and so did my mates but the bad weather makes the catch rates much lower. So when i dont fish i dont talk about it.