Absinthe

ManOnTheRoad

Is it even legal here?

Apparently, it is illegal to sell or import in the US, but not to buy or possess. The reason. so it seems, is an ingredient in absinthe derived from wormwood; thujone. Thujone is illegal to sell in the US if intended for human consumption. This stems from the belief in its narcotic effect. It would appear that the US authorities find absinthe too dangerously intoxicating. It can be purchased online, however.

So I guess it can get one rather twisted.

Bottoms up.

If anywhere sells it, it will be Pacific Liquor. They have the best selection of spirits I've found in Bangkok. It's on Sukhumvit halfway between the park next to Emporium (Benjasiri)and The Dubliner pub. I've never looked for Absinthe but I've found many other spirits that nowhere else sells in there.

Most Absinthes that you can buy today are made from a different type of Wormwood that has a very low thujone content. Most modern brands are even legal in the US now. The taste and strength is very similar, but you won't see any green fairys.

Report back if you manage to find some. I've had some fun nights drinking Absinthe in the past, it could be fun to get a bottle in for New Year. Just need to find my old Absinthe spoon!

Absinthe is available with wormwood in certain countries. I am not too sure about the legality of Absinthe in Thailand as in some countries it is classified with narcotics but i have read that it is available in Vientiane in Laos , being once a part of the French Colonial World . Wormwood would grow in the cooler areas in the north of Laos so it does sound credible, altho i have never made the trip to find out. Genuine Absinthe is available from South Africa (Doubs) and Spain . Steer away from Absinth (spelt without the final e is supposedly signifies no wormwood) from especially the Czech Green Fairy Brand.

Unless you are a collector or need the extra alcohol hit of Absinthe then Pernod is available in most bottle shops in Thailand . It has the ainse flavour that is common to both and that i love so much.

It was Dr Pernod who developed Absinthe as a health tonic in the late 1800's and was legal in France until the first world war and then Pernod was marketed instead of Absinthe.

I would love to know if it available in BKK too

• 2 weeks later...