The Violence Poll

bkkmadness

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just to bring some poll to add to the 'Is Thailand Violent' threads that have recently cropped up. Many of the tales of violence seem to come from a friend's friend, or "a guy down a bar told me" kind of stories. There seems to a be a spread of panic going on about violence on farangs in not only on this forum but others as well.

So just want to know really:

Who on this board has personally been attacked by a Thai without provocation, just randomly assaulted, shot at, or robbed with violence?

I figure the amount here is going to be pretty low, but we'll see. Please only add a point here or vote yes in the poll if the incident happened to you yourself personally, not your friend, or a member of your family etc.

edit : can a mod take out the middle option, nothing supposed to be there, just pressed return by mistake.

Edited by bkkmadness

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who on this board has personally been attacked by a Thai without provocation, just randomly assaulted, shot at, or robbed with violence?

Maybe it weould have been a good idea to include being attacked by a farang.

I have never been assaulted by a Thai, tho I have witnessed such attacks, but I have been attacked by a drunken farang without reason

Maybe it weould have been a good idea to include being attacked by a farang.

I have never been assaulted by a Thai, tho I have witnessed such attacks, but I have been attacked by a drunken farang without reason

I was going to chuck the option in, but I figured that gets away from the real question which seems to be at hand lately and thats Thai violence towards farangs. We all know already that farang against farang violence is fairly common, just walk the Suk road at 3-4 in the morning, plently of trouble seen along there.

I personnaly have experienced violence from Thais. (no not my wife :D )

No provocation, just an attempted mugging early morning (2am) in Soi 5.

Had it not been for a passing Aussie it could have been far worse than it was. :o

However despite this I still feel relatively safe in BKK and feel this was an isolated incident. :D

Certainly safer than in an English country town after the boozers close on a Friday night! :D !

So far, 13 votes, with expats and/or tourists that have spent I don't know how many years amongst them in Thailand (myself about 5 now) and as yet, one attempted mugging.

Pretty reassuring results so far I would have to say.

Edited by bkkmadness

So far, 13 votes, with expats and/or tourists that have spent I don't know how many years amongst them in Thailand (myself about 5 now) and as yet, one attempted mugging.

Pretty reassuring results so far I would have to say.

Yes it is pretty reassuring. :D

Like I said before I feel what happened to me was an isolated incident.

Sh*t happens and can happen anywhere....

I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time....... :o

I voted yes, although I am pretty sure I didnt deserve it! I was absolutley hamered on Sam Song, first mistake! I ended up having a disagreement with a thai in a bar, which escalated, punches were thrown and after not a long time I was laying the boot in to him. Anyway thats the last thing I remember as I got cracked on the top of the head with a full large Singha bottle and sparked clean out, by a thai from a nearby bar. Aparently then seven jumped me and started kicking the sh1t out of me. Starting to break bottles and wanting to chip me up. Only the wife's intervension stopped them from proceeding to pretty much destroy me. Next thing I know I woke up with a banging head ache, 30 stitches wondering what the ###### went on. Leaving me posing the question, would it have happened if I had not been drinking thai whiskey. I later found out that this is a regular thing in the bar I was drinking in. Now I refrain from drinking Sam Song unless at home with a friend who has yet tryed the evil lotion........

I voted Yes. About 3 years ago i was living in Bang Sue with my gf(now ex). Anyway it was 6.30pm and my gf was running late for work. So walked her to the end of the road as i was going out to buy smokes. So i hailed a taxi for her and opened the door. Just as i did this 3 young Thai guys(around 20ish) came up the wrong side of the road and had to stop because the door was open, Anyway they said something really nasty in Thai and i ignored it and kissed my gf goodbye. The guys then rode on. So turned round and started to walk to the shop. There on the corner were these 3 guys. Again they said something. Again i ignored it and didnt even look at them. So i started to walk to the shop and heard a motorbike come up behind me. I was totally sober and hadnt even had a drink. I grew up in a town in Scotland which could be a bit rough. So the motorbike came up along side me and one guy had a swipe at me which missed. Then they stopped just outside the shop. Now i know its coming. The first guy jumped of the bike with a flying kick. Stupid ###### was of the ground. So all i done was grab his leg and punch him in the balls. One down 2 to go. They other 2 came at me. All that was going through my head was dont go down. Put it this way i held my own and they came out worse than me, They hardly hit me. But i sure got a few digs into them Before the Thai guy in the shop who knows me came out and told them to ###### off. Man it was totally unprovoked. But as i said i held my own. Who knows what may have happened if the guy in the shop hadnt come out. But thats the one and only time. It could have just been the area,ie not many farang and 3 young guys that look as though they wired on something. I never put me off this country. Shit can happen anywhere at anytime or country.

The thing about just seeing attacks is that you never seem to know what caused them.

At least with these personal attcaks we can know a little bit more as to whether they were provoked or not.

I assume you voted 'no' as no personal attacks have happened to you despite seeing loads?

Edited by bkkmadness

2 times for me.

1st was attemtpted robbery at an ATM 2 pm soi suk, 2nd was at a party upcountry

attacked for "allegedly" dancing with guys G/F. G/F was severely beaten after. My boxing

experience saved me both times. If didnt have it i'd been in dire straights both

incidents because each time i was surprised and my body just reacted and was used to

being hit. Most people fold up mentally once they eat a bad one.

Both were 1 on 1 fights. Thai guy was shocked when i sunk a crippling leg kick into his thigh. I still laugh about it :o

"WHY FALANG KNOW THIS ONE!" was the look on his face :D

He fell for my overhand right fake which had him thinking up top. I dropped my whip right in there textbook. Beautiful feeling.

I dont care how experienced or tough you are, 3 guys attacking you (that know

how to do it) your chances are slim.

Edited by Nam Kao

I dont care how experienced or tough you are, 3 guys attacking you (that know

how to do it) your chances are slim.

Too true mate. I wasnt trying to say i am a big bad tough guy. I was lucky. It could have been alot worse. But i do know a few things. But i'm not a boxer/martial arts expert. But i have done both when i was younger. But to no great level. If it happened in any English speaking country i would have tried to talk my way out of it. I hate fighting. Over the years i've seen some nasty shit inflicted on people for no apparent reason.

Just to bring some poll to add to the 'Is Thailand Violent' threads that have recently cropped up.  Many of the tales of violence seem to come from a friend's friend, or "a guy down a bar told me" kind of stories.  There seems to a be a spread of panic going on about violence on farangs in not only on this forum but others as well.

So just want to know really:

I figure the amount here is going to be pretty low, but we'll see.  Please only add a point here or vote yes in the poll if the incident happened to you yourself personally, not your friend, or a member of your family etc.

edit : can a mod take out the middle option, nothing supposed to be there, just pressed return by mistake.

:D

I voted yes.

I covered this in another recent post.

I was drunk (drinking) and in a bad mood due to personal problems.

I was asked (politely) by a Thai who apparently thought he knew me, but who I could not remember. The Thai was concerned that he thought I was too drunk and was concerned about my condition.

I answered with an obscenity.

Got knocked on my backside for being an idiot. My fault entirely, and I realised it.

That is the story. I certainly can't blame the Thai as I was the cause.

:o

I voted yes, although it was only a minor incident at Khao San Songkran when a (very drunk) Thai guy came up to me yelling insults, throwing punches and trying to attack me. I didn't know him and had done nothing at all to provoke him. He was so drunk it didn't take much to fend him off and carry on on my way though :o

Other than that, no problems.

Edited by mike_l

I voted yes.

I covered this in another recent post.

I was drunk (drinking) and in a bad mood due to personal problems.

I was asked (politely) by a Thai who apparently thought he knew me, but who I could not remember. The Thai was concerned that he thought I was too drunk and was concerned about my condition.

I answered with an obscenity.

Got knocked on my backside for being an idiot. My fault entirely, and I realised it.

That is the story. I certainly can't blame the Thai as I was the cause.

You should have voted 'no' dude, the pool is about unprovoked attacks and randma violence, not getting what you deserved. :o

So figures getting pretty shocking now, were they all unprovoked attacks? Just asking as IMA-Farang voted the wrong way.

If so, that means a third of us according to the figures as they stand now, have been attacked by Thai people with no provacation at all. Shocking really because I know a fair few people out here in my 5 years in Bangkok and elsewhere and never met anyone that has had a problem in this way.

Still, back to the voting guys. Please make sure you only vote if:

a. it happened to you

b. it was unprovoked.

Edited by bkkmadness

I think there should be another option in the poll: "Have you ever been the victim of threatening behaviour from a Thai".

This will give an idea of how many incidents might have turned into an assault/fight if you hadn't managed to talk your way out of it, your gf hadn't helped, or bystanders hadn't intervened etc.

Of course, the reasons behind it would be interesting to know too so we can make a judgement if the Thai was blind drunk and aggressive or if you were being a rude <deleted> :o

2nd was at a party upcountry attacked for "allegedly" dancing with guys G/F
It was'nt shortly after you moved "up-country" by any chance? I had to give a couple of people a slap when I first moved up here, no major problems just a few people trying to see where the limits are, I do suffer from "physotic short bloke syndrome" though :o

RC