The Violence Poll

bkkmadness

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Yes. Quite a few times.

Hit by my old man - he was drunk and was stressed out and took it all out on me.

Sexually assaulted by my cousin.. and my friend's father.. and a total stranger..

Ok.. that's as far as I can go for now.

"... I'm trying to gauge here is just purely random assaults."

You should have put "random" or "unprovoked" in the question.

Then there is the issue of whether violence is OK even when "provoked" -- but that's perhaps better left for the religious forum.

"... I'm trying to gauge here is just purely random assaults."

You should have put "random" or "unprovoked" in the question.

Then there is the issue of whether violence is OK even when "provoked" -- but that's perhaps better left for the religious forum.

From the original topic post:

Who on this board has personally been attacked by a Thai without provocation, just randomly assaulted, shot at, or robbed with violence?

I didn't think I could make it any clearer really, I even made the question in bold. :o

Most cases so far seem to be involving booze at some point. :D

Who on this board has personally been attacked by a Thai without provocation, just randomly assaulted, shot at, or robbed with violence?

I didn't think I could make it any clearer really, I even made the question in bold. :o

Most cases so far seem to be involving booze at some point.  :D

Sorry, I didn't read the original post, just the poll questions. I think if you put "without booze involved" the rate of attack would approach zero....

Most cases so far seem to be involving booze at some point.  :D

Sorry, I didn't read the original post, just the poll questions. I think if you put "without booze involved" the rate of attack would approach zero....

That's for sure.

Does this include everytime I come home (from being out of the country) and all the little ankle-biters in my building attack me ? They are not even my kids (I don't have any).

The little buggers are smart too, they wait until they see my hands are full of luggage and then wham ! They're on my back, hugging my legs, clinging to my neck, just like a swarm of mosquitos.

What about when you walk into certain "establishments", and get mobbed by hordes of sweet, innocent farm girls ? I certainly don't provoke them, or encourage them (not wanting to contribute to their delinquency of course). Yet still, they are on me like ugly on a soi dog. Clutching, groping, pinching, clinging.

I come out of some of those places looking worse than I ever have after any fight/match I've been in !

Man, oh man, it's a right epidemic "innit"? :D Ok, a couple minor biz related threats (shrug) and a soi dog almost bit me once... :D

Of course there's violence anywhere and to those it happens to, it's no comfort to read my off the cuff remarks but rest assured I sincerely feel for those unfortunate to experience the business end of "wrong place wrong time" scenarios.

Could happen to anyone/anywhere/anytime. Having said that, anyone can easily avoid alot of the predictable times/places/situations with a bit of common sense tho.

All in all, Thailand can improve in many ways, personal safety being one of them, sure. Meantime, refuse to live with a fear-laden bunker mentality, just get out and live already :o

I voted No although I have had to diffuse a few situations which could have turned nasty.

The only time I have been attacked and robbed in Thailand was by a monkey in Lopburi who stole the bag I was carrying which contained a small wallet with credit cards.

I was told that I was not allowed to retaliate as this blaggard was a holy blaggard and protected beacause it was a temple monkey.

After 3 hours I was handed back the bag and wallet which incidentally was minus a credit card.

Rumour has it that on that day there was a monkey sat at the top of a tree saying "And that will do nicely thankyou" :o

Guess it depends on what circles you run in. I've seen it , but it ws usually justified. :D

Just to clarify, we are not talking about seeing violence or hearing about it, but personal experiences of an attack on your person.

Yep been robed, walking up Suk. one Katoy grabbed for my phone the other circled and nailed my wallet :o broke my phone and they ran in different directions I got one, only the wrong one the other made off with the wallet and 600 baht.. no sweat, DL gone, ATM ect ect..... :D after so many years here it is the only time a Thai has done any real harm to me.

I voted 'yes'. I was in a late night drinking establishment with a friend of mine who decided to say hello to a drunken Thai male aquaintence of his. The Thai responded with a barrage of abuse, as if we had seriously offended him, and not wanting any trouble we decided to leave.

As we left the establishment we were followed out by two Thai males who neither of us had ever seen before, who then promptly sprang upon us. Just as we had overpowered them, deciding not to harm them due to the crowd of Thai's that was developing around us, the police pulled up in a pick up truck and bundled us into the back before taking us down the police station. The Thai's were just given a pat on the back and told to go about their business.

I have also been threatened and attacked by drunken Falangs in Thailand.

I don't consider any of the incidents that i have been involved with to be anything particularly out of the ordinary, and certainly not when compared to where i come from in the u.k.

Attacked once by a large drunken Thai at my own birthday party a few years ago in Rangsit he was doing a fire show at the party a had a few to many drinks and made a fool of him self as well as burning him self and I guess I may have laught a wee bit. He lost a bit of face and tried to take it out on me untill about 10 Thais jumped on him. I saw him and spoke to him the next day and he acted as if nothing had happened

Rigger :o

i voted no, but actually if you count being trapped in a taxi and felt up by the driver until i managed to get out and run, then add another yes.

Hit by my old man - he was drunk and was stressed out and took it all out on me.

Sexually assaulted by my cousin.. and my friend's father.. and a total stranger..

The nature of violence toward women and men is very different. I am shocked at how petty some of the provocations are aimed at men.

I was attacked on the street in Chiang Mai 2 years ago as I walked back to my guest house at 1 a.m. I was staying very near Thapae Gate and didn't think 1 a.m. was a big deal. Some guy ran out of the soi and grabbed my torso from behind and started to grope me. I screamed very loud and started to go into fight mode and he ran off. What's worse, is the next morning the young Thai male staff and young white male expat laughed at my story as if I should have been embarrassed or something.

So, I didn't vote in your survey (which is not a random survery of expats by the way), so I don't know if it counts.

i voted no, but actually if you count being trapped in a taxi and felt up by the driver until i managed to get out and run, then add another yes.

The nature of violence toward women and men is very different. I am shocked at how petty some of the provocations are aimed at men.

I was attacked on the street in Chiang Mai 2 years ago as I walked back to my guest house at 1 a.m. I was staying very near Thapae Gate and didn't think 1 a.m. was a big deal. Some guy ran out of the soi and grabbed my torso from behind and started to grope me. I screamed very loud and started to go into fight mode and he ran off. What's worse, is the next morning the young Thai male staff and young white male expat laughed at my story as if I should have been embarrassed or something.

So, I didn't vote in your survey (which is not a random survery of expats by the way), so I don't know if it counts.

So that's a YES then is it Kat? :D:o

I voted yes. Last time I was in Bangkok I was sexually assulted. Whilst walking to the toilets some guy randomly walked upto me and started groping me.

I was also sexually assulted in Phuket once too. I was on a jet ski and a thai was learning me how to use it. I was driving he was sat behind me. He started rubbing me in certain places and started to guide the jet ski further and further out to sea.

Then he started feeling my breasts. I didn't know what to do. I just froze and panicked.

I voted yes, but! I was sitting at a restaurant/bar with a group of Thai friends when a complete stranger (Thai) came up to me, very drunk, and slapped me, he didnt get a second chance as i pinned his arms and shouted at him in Thai what the fukc did he think he was doing, then 5 more Thais arrived grabbed him and i had to stop them from wanting to kill him lol, they were going to take him round the back of the restaurant to teach him some manners, he was very drunk and to be honest even if he had had a gun he wouldn't have been able to aim it, his slap hardly even stung so i didn't feel he deserved a beating for what he did. It ended up with all of his friends coming up and appologising to me, giving me the Wai and leading him off to a corner to sleep it off. This was about 6 years ago though, and that was the only time i could say i had any sort of prob. at all in 15 years. Friday night in a Uk pub was always far more risky in my experience. Having said that i have seen and known many forang get a slap for very stupid behavour, (but one or 2 slaps was as far as it went) and in every one of thoes situations i would have been on the Thai side. Did meet a rather silly English guy who got on the back of a motorbike at 3 am in morning on the offer to see some traditional Maiy Thai boxing and got driven to a field were he experienced it via a full bottle of Chang beer to the head, bit stupid in mho.