Suthep Ranked Least Honest; Abhisit Tops Thai Poll

webfact

SURVEY

Suthep ranked least honest; Abhisit tops poll

By The Nation

New Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban is the least honest politician, but his immediate boss Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is the most trustworthy, according to Bangkok Poll.

Among 1,136 residents of Greater Bangkok responding to the survey, 39.2 per cent consider Democrat secretary-general Suthep as the least straightforward, followed by Newin Chidchob, the de facto leader of the Bhum Jai Thai Party, at 24.2 per cent and Transport Minister Sophon Saram at 8.3 per cent.

The opinion poll on “Believe in Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to solve the corruption problem" was conducted by Bangkok University Research Centre last week.

The most sincere politician is Abhisit at 49.8 per cent, followed by Democrat chief adviser Chuan Leekpai at 30.3 per cent and Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij at 2.2 per cent.

The worst form of corruption is politicians abusing their policy for their own benefit at 40.8 per cent, followed by collusion at 16.4 per cent and double standards in policy and law enforcement at 13.0 per cent.

Despite Thailand’s hosting the 14th International Anti-Corruption Conference from today to Saturday, 72.3 per cent believe the corruption problem in this country won't change, while only 15.5 per cent think it will improve and 12.2 per cent fear it will increase.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-10

I love the numbers in this poll. They are all below 50%. Does this mean they are all corrupt and dishonest :unsure:

A careful reading of the OP says, in the title: "Suthep ranked least honest; Abhisit tops poll" - it does not say Abhisit is the most "honest". What is actually says is:"The most sincere politician is Abhisit at 49.8 per cent".

I love the numbers in this poll. They are all below 50%. Does this mean they are all corrupt and dishonest :unsure:

A careful reading of the OP says, in the title: "Suthep ranked least honest; Abhisit tops poll" - it does not say Abhisit is the most "honest". What is actually says is:"The most sincere politician is Abhisit at 49.8 per cent".

Yes ... It's a Nation report. We have no idea of what or how many questions were asked. We have no idea of the meaning of the numbers.

My reading of it is that the questions were like "Who is the least honest? A, B, C or D" and 39% of the people answered A. "Who is the most sincere?" and the 49% selected Abhisit.

Bangkok Poll on Corruption Shows Public Concern

A recent poll on corruption in the government shows the majority of people believe the prime minister is a trustworthy politician.

The Research Institute of Bangkok University has conducted a poll on the people's confidence in the prime minister's solution to corruption.

A total of 1,136 people, ages 18 and up, in the Bangkok and metropolitan area were surveyed from November 2 to 4.

More than 93 percent of those questioned see corruption in Thailand as a severe problem in Thai society.

Over 40 percent believe the most severe form of corruption is the abuse of political power for personal gain, while 16.4 percent believe the worst is bid-rigging and collusion in the procurement process.

Some 13 percent see the use of policies and laws that are seen as double standards as the worst form of corruption.

The majority of the people do not have faith in the prime minister's four anti corruption measures.

The public feels that making the government reshuffle process transparent and free of influence from political powers will not be enough to abolish corruption.

As for the image of various political figures, 49.8 percent see Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva as the most trustworthy politician, followed by 30.3 percent for Chuan Leekpai and a mere 2.2 percent for Korn Chatikavanij.

Politicians who are perceived as most dishonest are Suthep Thaugsuban with 39.2 percent, Newin Chidchob with 24.2 percent, and Sophon Sarum with 8.3 percent.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-10

footer_n.gif

I'm glad the Thai's have a, relatively, favorable opinion of Abhist. He does seem to be a good, honest person. With an incredibly difficult job to do!

This is what bothers me:

72.3 per cent believe the corruption problem in this country won't change

I hope they don't give up on trying...

Bangkok Poll on Corruption Shows Public Concern

As for the image of various political figures, 49.8 percent see Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva as the most trustworthy politician, followed by 30.3 percent for Chuan Leekpai and a mere 2.2 percent for Korn Chatikavanij.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-10

footer_n.gif

And from the initial post:

" The most sincere politician is Abhisit at 49.8 per cent, followed by Democrat chief adviser Chuan Leekpai at 30.3 per cent and Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij at 2.2 per cent."

Sincerity really has nothing to do with trustworthiness.

Trustworthiness has to do with whether you can believe him when he says everything is fine in Thailand. Corruption has to do with the money he gets paid for saying that by the Travel Agencies, airlines, hotels, and restaurants.

I'm glad the Thai's have a, relatively, favorable opinion of Abhist. He does seem to be a good, honest person. With an incredibly difficult job to do!

This is what bothers me:

Yes, I agree with you. Its interesting that in OZ, UK, or US and no doubt many other countries, we moan about two party systems, and not enough choice at elections, but in Thailand as I understand it, Abhisit has to keep seven coalition parties together. The fact that he has managed to stay PM for longer than the previous three, speaks well. But of course he has to placate so many opposing interests, just on his own side, let alone the opposition. Unfortunately many Thais seem woefully uneducated about politics and democratic process, and still prefer to be told what to do. But change is happening ... slowly.

How lucky for Abhisit. He is actually only the shoe shine boy of Suthep and doing precisely what the little Godfather wants him to do. Abhisit went to Eaton but it is clear to me that even an Alzheimer patient would make the cut in that institution if they are allowed to forget any lesson learned.

This is what bothers me:

Yes, I agree with you. Its interesting that in OZ, UK, or US and no doubt many other countries, we moan about two party systems, and not enough choice at elections, but in Thailand as I understand it, Abhisit has to keep seven coalition parties together. The fact that he has managed to stay PM for longer than the previous three, speaks well. But of course he has to placate so many opposing interests, just on his own side, let alone the opposition. Unfortunately many Thais seem woefully uneducated about politics and democratic process, and still prefer to be told what to do. But change is happening ... slowly.

At least in the above mentioned systems, we have the Press to snap at the heels of the politicians. This at least makes them think a bit before doing something disgraceful.

What do we have in Thailand? The Nation?

Well if Abhisit is seen as the most honest, it does not say much for the rest. I guess there is a narrow line that divides dishonest from incompetent, the end reesults are the same.

It takes a special kind of person to criticise without giving example; to talk of vague sentiments relating to dishonesty and incompetence without elaborating; and to do all this (and nothing more) with a tone of authority (in lieu of correct punctuation and spelling).

But no doubt your opinions are valid. And worth every cent of the $0.02 invoice.

In other word instead of pocketing a 100 million baht he pockets only 49.8 millions... :lol:

This is what bothers me:

At least in the above mentioned systems, we have the Press to snap at the heels of the politicians. This at least makes them think a bit before doing something disgraceful.

What do we have in Thailand? The Nation?

Yes, he has also had to surpress free speech, which must be tricky

This is what bothers me:

Sorry but in the UK we have a 3+ party system and a coalition government in power at the moment which isn't a coalition of the 2 main parties. It's silly to say the smaller parties don't count especially when they win seats however few that may be as they have more power than you seem to think when every seat with a vote counts.

This is Thailand so the poll itself is probably corrupt!

Wow?? I do not understand the mentality of developing and under developing countries leaders. Does a campaign slogan mean anything to them? Where is his or her conscious?

I wonder why so many leaders wow to lead but, can not be trust. ( marking with corruption )

The history will always remember a good leader who is honest and clean. ( very very few, sad and shame )

My take and opinion.

This is what bothers me:

Corruption is like the love of papaya salad. Sorry it is part of their culture. :rolleyes:

I just read this. Interesting to see how this transpires. First step is the police. I do wish them good luck. they'll need it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty-seven leading business operators have agreed to form a collective alliance to work against corruption.

Participants include Siam Cement Group (SCG), Bangchak Petroleum, Central Pattana, Kasikornbank, Toshiba (Thailand), and Pfizer (Thailand).

The Thai Institute of Directors Association (IOD) expects membership will rise to 200 companies next year. The alliance aims to make all parts of society more concerned about the country's competitiveness, which is shrinking due to corruption in both the private and public sectors.

"We hope to see most civil servants and company staff dare to say no to corruption 10 years from now. Building this new attitude is similar to the practice of corporate social responsibility, which is now booming among corporate and government agencies here," said IOD president Charnchai Charuvastr.

72.3% believe the corruption problem will not change.

This is Thailand the poll itself is probably corrupt. (as are the 72.3% who responded above)

Both the result and the observation are probably the most realistic part of this discussion. When you figure in the translation and math problems exhibited by those we deal with on a regular basis, it is hard to believe anything I read and not too much more of what I see and virtually none of what I hear.

"1,136 residents of Greater Bangkok"

1,136 residents out of millions does not make an accurate poll sample.

you could get more respondents sitting outside a fresh market.

it was obviously only created to make a statement.

It makes an accurate poll for Bangkok, as long as it wasn't taken outside a fresh market.

It makes an accurate poll for Bangkok, as long as it wasn't taken outside a fresh market.

Sorry to burst any illusions but Bangkok is not Thailand. Come and take the poll in Udon Thani. I have seen very few public images of Khun Abhisit up here that have not been defaced and shredded. He can come see for himself but this is one part of Thailand he cannot set foot in, but then hes only got himself to blame for that

Sorry to burst any illusions but Bangkok is not Thailand. Come and take the poll in Udon Thani. I have seen very few public images of Khun Abhisit up here that have not been defaced and shredded. He can come see for himself but this is one part of Thailand he cannot set foot in, but then hes only got himself to blame for that

" but Bangkok is not Thailand" - I don't believe anyone has said it is. It's a meaningless poll done to fill some news space.

Could Abhisit have set foot in Udon Thani before the red shirts camped here in April/May? What about other non-PTP politicians? How would they go? Will anyone else besides PTP be able to campaign there during the next election?