Burmese Refugees Head Home; Thailand's Sangkhla A War Zone

webfact

WESTERN FRONT FIGHTING

Refugees head home; Sangkhla a war zone

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_59488.jpg

Crisis drags on at Three Pagodas Pass as fighting rages opposite Kanchanaburi. Many killed in Myawaddy clash, but situation returns to normal in border town.

Thai officials began to return thousands of refugees yesterday who fled to Mae Sot on Monday after a state of quiet returned in the Burmese border town of Myawaddy.

But the situation further south remained tense as fighting continued in Pyaduangsu" the town opposite Three Pagodas Pass, causing another exodus into Thailand.

Local authorities declared the area near Three Pagodas, in the western province of Kanchanaburi, a war zone as some rocket-propelled grenades landed on the Thai side of the border. There were no reports of Thai casualties, however.

Hundreds of Burmese troops were reinforced for a second day in their attempts to regain control of Pyaduangsu after a joint force of about 300 ethnic Mon and Karen fighters attacked the town on Monday.

The sound of gunfire, grenades and rockets was heard from on and off during the day. Burmese troops’ attempts to wrest back control of the town were made difficult by strong resistance from the minority groups, sources said.

They said the Karen fighters were a combined force of two former rivals: the Karen National Union (KNU) and the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA).

The situation was calm in the morning, but the fighting that erupted again in Pyaduangsu in the afternoon forced several thousand refugees to flee to Thailand, Sangkhla Buri district chief Chamras Kangnoi said.

Maj-General Tawan Ruangsri, commander of the Ninth Infantry Division, said he had contacted his Burmese counterpart and asked him to make sure there would be no more spillover of fighting into Thailand.

“Burma agrees to be more careful and prevent a spillover, but asks us to help take care of refugees for them until the situation is back to normal,” he said.

The Thai authorities would take the refugees to a temporary shelter and not allow them to go into Kanchanaburi city, he said.

Thailand already shelters over 150,000 Burmese refugees, who fled the fighting in their homeland over the past 26 years. It also has about 2 million migrant workers from Burma.

In Mae Sot, the Third Army and local authorities began to repatriate thousands of refugees yesterday after Burmese troops regained control of Myawaddy from armed ethnic groups, who seized key posts in the town on Sunday in a violent protest at the country’s “unfair” election.

More than 70 per cent of the nearly 20,000 refugees who fled from the conflict in Myawaddy had agreed to return home yesterday after Thai authorities informed them that the situation was back to normal.

Many of them were seen walking the few kilometres from the Thai Border Police camp in Mae Sot to the Moei River bank, before taking boats across the river. Many of their relatives were seen greeting them on their return.

However, several thousand Burmese remained in the temporary shelter as they lacked sufficient confidence in the situation to return home.

Armed forces commander-in-chief General Songkitti Jaggabatara said Thailand would not open any more refugee camps for Burmese who fled from conflict at home.

“We have a clear policy to provide only humanitarian assistance for them in a short period, and would send them back as soon as the situation returns to normal,” he said.

Thailand would not intervene in the domestic affairs of its neighbours and would not allow any armed groups to take shelter on its soil, he added.

Fighters from a rebel faction of the DKBA captured many official Burmese buildings on Sunday, when the country held its first election in 20 years.

But the Karen fighters returned and moved south after running out of ammunition, sources said.

The fighting left many dead on both sides, plus dozens of injured, including some civilians. But no exact figures could be confirmed.

The former pro-junta DKBA faction decided to attack Myawaddy in protest at the Burmese army’s demand that minority groups join the Border Guard Force, a new arrangement which |threatens their autonomy and business interests.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-10

In foreign newspapers I read: Burmese refugees FORCED to go home by the Thai government.

"I hope they get out of 'my' country soon" is what one Thai person told me.

Of course this Thai person would be in a minority of Thai people who feel like this. Right?

In foreign newspapers I read: Burmese refugees FORCED to go home by the Thai government.

Of course this Thai person would be in a minority of Thai people who feel like this. Right?

Of course, a very very large minority.

Its' HIS country, isn't it, not a part of EU where ne'er do well may roam freely ?

surely LOS wants to stay LOS, not a dump?

I remember my first trip across the border with my old GF. We visited a temple and she was on the phone with her Mom, talking in a very excited way. Come to find out, she was telling her Mom she was at the temple where the gold is that Burma stole from Thailand many years ago. Bad blood between these two countries for sure. A good movie to watch is Sukhothai.

I remember my first trip across the border with my old GF. We visited a temple and she was on the phone with her Mom, talking in a very excited way. Come to find out, she was telling her Mom she was at the temple where the gold is that Burma stole from Thailand many years ago. Bad blood between these two countries for sure. A good movie to watch is Sukhothai.

I remind them that Thai is only a mix of other nationalities. It's not well received most of the time! But thats ok, its the truth. A different perspective might open their minds. I understand the rivalry, but at the same time, if it wasn't for oppressive gov't, Burma'd be light years ahead of Thailand's slow unstable development. And Burma has a lot of potential in the future.

The Burmese accounts of Thai history, as available on line in university archives, is interesting to compare with the Thai accounts of events.

To get an idea of what really happened, you would need to read both versions and take the middle position on most of it.

The former pro-junta DKBA faction decided to attack Myawaddy in protest at the Burmese army’s demand that minority groups join the Border Guard Force, a new arrangement which threatens their autonomy and business interests.

and there we have it. Nothing to do with the fight for democracy, just like most of the conflicts in the region, including the Bangkok protests.

The Burmese accounts of Thai history, as available on line in university archives, is interesting to compare with the Thai accounts of events.

To get an idea of what really happened, you would need to read both versions and take the middle position on most of it.

The old saying. here are 3 sides to every story, their side, our side and the truth.

Its' HIS country, isn't it, not a part of EU where ne'er do well may roam freely ?

surely LOS wants to stay LOS, not a dump?

Hello everyone

Thailand does not have budget to feed the refugees and no support from the U.N. ( U.N. broke, too many corruption cases in the world ) The Thai government will not deal with the Burmese and both countries seldom interfere with each other. Actually many Thais citizens want to help the Refugees but they are afraid of their jobs loss.The conflict between the minority ( 200 tribes ) and the Burmese government are always on and off situation. These people fought among each other since the day I was born...as I recalled I did ask the Red Cross to set a temporary station near the MaeSai border 4 years ago. Prior to that I was witnessing the fight broke off while I went to Thailand in 1992. It was the worst moment I have experienced. I urge everyone here to do something productive....as such donate any amount to Red Cross,or helping the refugees in case they cross the border and help save the young refugees who will be slave by the Thai pimps. ( human trafficking, sad and shame ) The Burmese government wows to genocide the 200 tribes whenever she has an opportunity....my take and opinion.

Here in Phuket, without the Burmese the constrution industry ( and all those $1,000,000 Homes) would not be built.

When will Thailand stop doing buiness whit this Miltary goverment thta does not take care of its own people?

I can answer that, Never!! ( to much money involved)Drugs, teak, jade

The DKBA's "business interests" include mining and logging (Burmese teak) and are rumored to be involved in Ya Ba production and distribution:

DBKA Drug Bust

DBKA Child Soldiers

DBKA Warlord

While it's true that the Burmese Junta are a bunch of despicable dinosaurs, not all of the people fighting against them are angels!

BURMA

Border townships not fully secure yet

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_51934.jpg

The situation on the Thai-Burmese border was still uncertain yesterday, because the Burmese military has not completely secured the towns yet.

Myawaddy was relatively calm after fighters from the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA) retreated and Burmese troops regained control. The last group of refugees fleeing the clashes since Monday has been repatriated, a district official said.

Fighting between the guerrillas and Burmese troops reportedly continued early yesterday in the area opposite Tak’s Phop Phra district, causing an influx of a few thousand refugees.

However, some 2,000 refugees left for home yesterday afternoon after they were told the situation was normal, district chief Poj Ruwo-ranond said.

There were reports of a small clash in the border area near Phop Phra late Tuesday with no casualties, he said.

Tak Governor Samart Loyfa voiced concern about the situation in Phop Phra district because it is situated opposite a DKBA stronghold and the Burmese military might launch a major offensive on the Karen minority soon. If a new round of fighting erupts, the situation in the border area near Phop Phra district might be more serious than it was in Mae Sot, he said.

Meanwhile, the situation in Pyaduangsu opposite Kanchana-buri’s Three Pagodas Pass was said to have eased though the 3,000 or so Burmese refugees refused to return because they were not sure about the situation, Sangkhla Buri district chief Chamras Kangnoi said.

The last sound of firing was heard in the early hours of yesterday, and it appeared there was no fighting during daytime, he said.

“The two sides are having a confrontation, but as far as we know, they are trying to negotiate a ceasefire,” Chamras said.

However, reports from border sources say otherwise. Some 300 armed Karen fighters yesterday retreated 5-6 kilometres farther into the district of Ban Mai on the Burmese side, they said. A few hundred Mon fighters moved to join the DKBA, the sources said, noting there were no signs of negotiations.

“It seems like the minorities are preparing to open a new round of attacks against the government base in Pyaduangsu,” a security official said.

Meanwhile some 300 Burmese troops were sent to secure Pya-duangsu town in preparation, he said.

A major problem in Sangkhla Buri is that local authorities are running out of funds to provide assistance to refugees, the district chief said.

“We need some Bt500,000 day to provide them with food, and the Bt1 million we were given is only good for two days,” Chamras said.

Commander of the 9th Infantry Division Maj-General Tawan Ruangsri said Thailand would only provide humanitarian assistance to refugees, adding that no armed groups would be allowed to use Thai territory as a base to fight against Burma.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-11

The DKBA's "business interests" include mining and logging (Burmese teak) and are rumored to be involved in Ya Ba production and distribution:

DBKA Drug Bust

DBKA Child Soldiers

DBKA Warlord

While it's true that the Burmese Junta are a bunch of despicable dinosaurs, not all of the people fighting against them are angels!

Thanks for the links, this is really interesting and disturbing. I have been wanting to know more about what is really going on.:jap:

These people did not apply for a Visa to come to Thailand. I am not even sure if they have a passport. They must be deported back to they come from. They have NO right to be in Thailand. By force or not is just a technique. If they don't want to be force back (at gun point or not), they must NOT step into Thailand in the 1st place.