Censors Ban Thai Gay-Themed Film

webfact

Censors ban Thai gay-themed film

By The Nation

The Board of Censors has banned the gay-themed Thai film “Insects in the Backyard” by transvestite director Tanwarin Sukkhapisit.

“The film’s content goes against public order or morality,” the board said yesterday.

The film is about a transvestite father, played by Tanwarin, whose teenage daughter and son are confused about their sexuality and end up entering the sex trade. The film has explicit scenes involving masturbation and teenagers in school uniforms engaging in various sexual acts with clients.

Tanwarin, whose film premiered last month at the Vancouver International Film Festival and was screened this week at the World Film Festival of Bangkok, said she did not expect the ban.

Hoping to release the movie commercially, she applied for the 20- rating, which restricts it to audiences aged 20 and older.

“This film is not supposed to be viewed by those younger than that,” said Tanwarin, who has made many award-winning short films. The director said that by banning her film, the board proved that it did not acknowledge gay life. She said she would appeal and vowed not to cut any scenes to win approval.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-11

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transvestite director? NO. Tiffany Show...Yes!

End up entering the sex trade? NO. Patpong/Nana/etc...Yes!

Teenagers in school uniforms engaging in various sexual acts with clients? NO. Underaged boys/girls Sunee Plaza, Pattaya...Yes!

Gay life? NO. Boyztown...Yes!

Perhaps movies should not be too realistic in Thailand. :blink:

Teenagers in school uniforms engaging in various sexual acts with clients? NO. Underaged boys/girls Sunee Plaza, Pattaya...Yes!

Spot on. Don't you know that reality is to be found on TV at 8.30 every night where everyone drives Mercs, has numerous maids of dark skin, the baddies all wear black, have fake moustaches and talk to themselves and the goodies all wear white and have stress trying to find the love of their life.

Spot on. Don't you know that reality is to be found on TV at 8.30 every night where everyone drives Mercs, has numerous maids of dark skin, the baddies all wear black, have fake moustaches and talk to themselves and the goodies all wear white and have stress trying to find the love of their life.

Hehe.........:ph34r:

"The film's content goes against public order or morality," the board said yesterday.

That is a joke, there is no morality here. Only pretensions and scams.

And it is a disgrace that this movie is censored.

Agreed this is one of the more blatant shows of pathetic and useless hypocrisy

even by Land Of Shinola standards.

"The film's content goes against public order or morality," the board said yesterday.

I am confused as to why the Nation refers to this male transvestite as 'she' shouldn't it be he? ....and while they are at it shouldn't they also censor or ban transvestites as

they don't carry a 20 year old certificate and children may see them.

Edited by landofthefree

They've always censored graphic sex scenes in movies at theatres here, pretty much all Asian countries do. They do that all the time for American films, who don't mind making cuts to be released in Asian markets. You find plenty of Thai films about gays and trannies, though I guess most of you never watch Thai films

"The film’s content goes against public order or morality,” the board said yesterday"

Ha ha ha ha ha.....oh please, stop it, ha ha ha .

Talk about giving the keys of the asylum to the inmates.....

Another "proof" of how those in "control" of Thailand are just too stupid to believe.

Public order or morality? :lol: :lol:

Hey man, This Is Thailand~~~~~ The land of Patpong, Patong, Ladyboy bars, Nana Plaza, scams galore etc, etc, etc.

These people have completely lost it. Occasionally we all delude ourselves with things: being the best at a sport, being a casanova, being the best poster on thaivisa, being clever or smart.

But these folks take the biscuit.

TheWalkingMan

“The film’s content goes against public order or morality,” the board said yesterday.

You just don't get it. It's okay to do it live. It's not okay to do it on film. Maybe because on film it proves it? ;-)

couldn't agree more

Not that I am anti-gay, but somethings have to give.

Gay themed film, masturbation, sex in school uniform, sex trade, etc. Dont want that lying around the house.

The best way to not have anything unwanted around the house is not to purchase it (or pick it up under some other arrangement). Works every time :D

I wouldn’t even use the energy to press the remote to watchit as all wasted on me personally; just a bit kinky mostly normal. Can anyoneexplain why Gay gets so much attention? Only 5% of all folks are supposed to begay so how come they get so much publicity? Bothers me that there maybe aconversion attempt in the process especially towards younger ones.

I wouldn't even use the energy to press the remote to watchit as all wasted on me personally; just a bit kinky mostly normal. Can anyoneexplain why Gay gets so much attention? Only 5% of all folks are supposed to begay so how come they get so much publicity? Bothers me that there maybe aconversion attempt in the process especially towards younger ones.

'there maybe aconversion attempt in the process'...you must be joking. You actually believe that? This isn't religion...nobody is trying to convert anyone. You seem a little naive na....or just a little homophobic.

Yep....I'd ban the soaps!

I am confused as to why the Nation refers to this male transvestite as 'she' shouldn't it be he? ....and while they are at it shouldn't they also censor or ban transvestites as

they don't carry a 20 year old certificate and children may see them.

Oh....are those guys? I wondered why they talked funny!

I wouldn't even use the energy to press the remote to watchit as all wasted on me personally; just a bit kinky mostly normal. Can anyoneexplain why Gay gets so much attention? Only 5% of all folks are supposed to begay so how come they get so much publicity? Bothers me that there maybe aconversion attempt in the process especially towards younger ones.

You make homosexuality sound like a religious experience! Perhaps I should convert to homosexuality from my original religion...where do I sign up for conversion classes?

And only 5% of all folks are gay? That's almost 300million gay people in this world by your estimate, alhough some may argue 10% is closer to the mark. Perhaps more when you include those who bat on both teams, undecided or in denial or simply tempted from time to time. Which category are you? :whistling:

"All censorship exist to prevent anyone from challenging current conceptions and existing institutions.

All progress is initiated by challenging current conceptions, and executed by supplanting existing institutions.

Consequently, the first condition of progress is the removal of censorship."

— George Bernard Shaw

"We are living in an interminable succession of absurdities imposed by the myopic logic of short-term thinking."

— Jacques-Yves Cousteau

'there maybe aconversion attempt in the process'...you must be joking. You actually believe that? This isn't religion...nobody is trying to convert anyone. You seem a little naive na....or just a little homophobic.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, some people believe being gay is a choice, others understand that it is genetic. I believe being ignorant is a choice, so I am going to be careful which posts I read as I fear there may a plot afoot to convert us! Hold on to your reason folks, cause jackasses lurk everywhere!

Reason1 I think you are a bit homophobic. Live and let live I say and if you think only 5% of people are gay then think again. If you believe that gays get too much attention your wrong as even if your 5% was correct gay themed movies don't account for 5% of all movies made globally so gays are actually getting a rough deal! Even us straight people can sympathize with the misconceptions the gay community has to put up with as homosexuality is not a disease it's been here since the birth of mankind and also exists in the animal kingdom.

You make homosexuality sound like a religious experience! Perhaps I should convert to homosexuality from my original religion...where do I sign up for conversion classes?

And only 5% of all folks are gay? That's almost 300million gay people in this world by your estimate, alhough some may argue 10% is closer to the mark. Perhaps more when you include those who bat on both teams, undecided or in denial or simply tempted from time to time. Which category are you? :whistling:

I think I might be coming down with the Gay Virus? Hope it only lasts a few days like the Flu?