Censors Ban Thai Gay-Themed Film

webfact

I agree that there are far too many inflammatory posts about the film from no one who has seen it. Of course, it becomes rather harder to see it if the venues are fewer because of institutional censorship... and I prefer to make up my own mind, as an adult.

Marquess: a bit of pro-gay slant is probably justified in certain cultures after 100's of years of institutional religious prejudice against it. Of course, some people (usually the types who like to use the term PC) can never see things in completely fair terms when they've grown up buying the institutional lines. In any case, there is no requirement on this thread or on Thaivisa to endorse homosexuality; but there is a requirement to avoid stigmatising, negatively misrepresenting, or bashing those who are part of it as much as any other minority group such as women or black people.

LOTF: This is not a thread on which to debate how the preferences of any particular social group, no matter how narrowminded, would apply to the forum rules.

Not bad so far at staying on topic, folks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transvestite director? NO. Tiffany Show...Yes!

End up entering the sex trade? NO. Patpong/Nana/etc...Yes!

Teenagers in school uniforms engaging in various sexual acts with clients? NO. Underaged boys/girls Sunee Plaza, Pattaya...Yes!

Gay life? NO. Boyztown...Yes!

Perhaps movies should not be too realistic in Thailand. :blink:

Spot on. Don't you know that reality is to be found on TV at 8.30 every night where everyone drives Mercs, has numerous maids of dark skin, the baddies all wear black, have fake moustaches and talk to themselves and the goodies all wear white and have stress trying to find the love of their life.

Yes and then the Hi Sos spend the rest of the script arguing and teaching the masses that violence is normal!..........Sad! but it beats Acting for a living.

Anyway, too bad the subject film is "banned".

Does mean even the target audience can't buy DVDs and watch it at home?

Censorship is so silly.

When they use 'banned' in papers what it usually means is 'not approved for distribution' meaning they can't show it publicly in theatres or on tv. All movies in Thai theatres have to be approved before they can be shown, this film refused to compromise on graphic sex scenes so was not approved. You can watch it in your home with no problem.

It's been interesting to see how what is approved has changed. First movie I saw was Terminator 3, and they censored a scene that showed a naked butt. A few years later they allowed some boobs. They are not going to approve graphic sex anytime soon though. The director of this movie knows this, and is looking for publicity to promote her film abroad, as she probably knows it would never be a big money maker in Thailand.

The opinion that being gay is a choice is only held by some heterosexuals who do not know any gay people. The reason that no gay person has this opinion is because it is simply not true.

But you spoiled my amusement about the "conversion attempt". That was so funny! I would like to know how this would work. I know that there werem"medical" attempts in the past to convert homosexuals into heterosexuals and they utterly failed. The reason is that a gay person is gay, even though he can pretend not to be, even beget children. But happy he will be only in a gay relationship. Since the conversion attempts by the society don't work, how would you suggest to convert straight boys into gays? :lol:

Don't be silly. Lots of gay people see being gay as a choice or sometimes a choice and sometimes genetic, and yes some consider it to only be genetic. Don't try to lump gay people together under one big conceptual umbrella.

Transvestite director? NO.  Tiffany Show...Yes!

End up entering the sex trade? NO.  Patpong/Nana/etc...Yes!

Teenagers in school uniforms engaging in various sexual acts with clients? NO.  Underaged boys/girls Sunee Plaza, Pattaya...Yes!

Gay life? NO.  Boyztown...Yes!

Spot on.  Don't you know that reality is to be found on TV at 8.30 every night where everyone drives Mercs, has numerous maids of dark skin, the baddies all wear black, have fake moustaches and talk to themselves and the goodies all wear white and have stress trying to find the love of their life.

Yes and then the Hi Sos spend the rest of the script arguing and teaching the masses that violence is normal!..........Sad! but it beats Acting for a living.

Thai soaps disgust me. But what really disturbs me is the Thai's love them! What is wrong here, can anyone explain? I just see and hear bitches shouting at each other and scenes of violence. My girlfriend watches them, I am so disgusted with them, I cut the plug off the TV! So I am also guilty of censorship!

It seems to me that these soaps actually reflect the culture, and it's not a pretty sight. Maybe I am misunderstanding something?

Salo...now no longer banned in most countries. Hopefully in time the same result might transpire for thisThai film. Insight and debate are more important than maintaining ignorance. GO HABS!

Quote from censorship Board OZ : Approaching Salo from this standpoint, we agreed that its depictions, while frequently shocking, were integral to the filmmaker's purposes, and therefore not gratuitous; nor were they in any way erotic or titillating. We noted the assurance of the distributor that the film, if approved with an 'R' classification would be exhibited by them only in smaller, selected cinemas and advertised with appropriate discretion...etc

They've always censored graphic sex scenes in movies at theatres here, pretty much all Asian countries do. They do that all the time for American films, who don't mind making cuts to be released in Asian markets. You find plenty of Thai films about gays and trannies, though I guess most of you never watch Thai films

I agree these films are made for minority groups. The general public are not interested in films about gays. They only audience they will have are those that move in that circle.

Marquess: a bit of pro-gay slant is probably justified in certain cultures after 100's of years of institutional religious prejudice against it. Of course, some people (usually the types who like to use the term PC) can never see things in completely fair terms when they've grown up buying the institutional lines. In any case, there is no requirement on this thread or on Thaivisa to endorse homosexuality; but there is a requirement to avoid stigmatising, negatively misrepresenting, or bashing those who are part of it as much as any other minority group such as women or black people.

I shall remain silent and allow the more learned and wiser members of the board to contribute to this topic!

Don't be silly. Lots of gay people see being gay as a choice or sometimes a choice and sometimes genetic, and yes some consider it to only be genetic. Don't try to lump gay people together under one big conceptual umbrella.

Its not so much about "being silly", phetaroi, as being rational and logical.

Firstly, choice. Yes, some people see being gay as being a choice and some are even happy with that choice. The choice though, is not really between being gay or being straight but between being gay or not being gay. There is a difference, as I find it difficult to envisage a situation where a naturally straight person would deliberately choose to be gay. There are those who are gay but who choose to control their natural urges and to be heterosexual, either due to outside pressure or because they choose to put their family and children (whom they already have) before their own sexual desire and they may well be happy (or at least content) with their choice. There are also those who are bisexual, who are happy in a relationship with either sex, and who choose to have their permanent relationship with one partner, consequently "choosing" to be outwardly either gay or straight. Both those groups, though, are a small minority of those who are simply "gay".

Secondly, genetics. Very few people, gay or straight, see being gay as being "genetic" - at least once they have thought about it a little. If it were genetic it would be a predominantly inherited gene; as heterosexuals are likely to have considerably more offspring than gays (or lesbians) any inherited gene would die out very quickly: assuming the "first" generation were 5% gay, the next generation would only be 0.25% gay, the third 0.0125%, and the fourth (after only 100 years) 0.000625% gay. The genetic argument is self-defeating and never addressed by those supporting it.

The argument is far better put as being whether you thnk people are gay by nature or gay by nurture.

Not that I am anti-gay, but somethings have to give.

Gay themed film, masturbation, sex in school uniform, sex trade, etc. Dont want that lying around the house.

So stop buying it and you won't feel ashamed when your friends find them lying around the house.

Excellent .

The Board of Censors has banned the gay-themed Thai film "Insects in the Backyard" by transvestite director Tanwarin Sukkhapisit.

I am confused... He? She? In my opinion it's still a "He". So why the article continues with "she"... Where do the "she's" go peeing? in the men's restroom or in the ladies' restroom? Ask any [decent] lady in Thailand what they think about ladyboys going to the lady's restroom... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

or the "Tom's" going into the men's restroom. Anyone can help me how we are decently addressing these travestites, without hurting the real ladies?

Its funny how upset ignorant people get at trans people. What is your problem??? Only thing I can figure out is that it is just denial, kind of like the closeted homosexual beating up the outed gays. Do you honestly believe that a male to female transwoman is going to go on hormones that effectively castrate them, because they want to rape women in the women's restroom? Do you think female to male transmen are going to physically harm you in the men's restroom. Why does it matter to you if someone identifies as a specific gender, regardless of the gender assigned to them at birth. Do you really think anyone would actually choose to live that life?? Many people choose to transition because they reach a point where continuing to live in denial will only lead to more severe depression, and all too often, suicide. People are the way they are, and should be free to live how they please, as long as no one else is being harmed. Every year, hundreds, if not thousands of trans people are brutally murdered, for no reason other than that they tried to be true to themselves, and those murders often go unsolved, because of hateful bigots who hide behind their fear and think irrationally. I cannot recall any murders or assaults committed by trans people, and I am sure the incidence rate is quite low.

Thailand does have a somewhat backwards approach to labeling trans people, but in all of the civilized world, a female to male(born female) trans-man is a MAN/HE/SIR. A male to female (born male) trans-women is a FEMALE/SHE/MAAM. Transvestite is an outdated term which refers to cross dressers, and not to transexuals. If you want to be part of a civilized and accepting society, these are simple rules you follow and respect. If you do not want someone telling you how to live your life or what to believe, do not tell others how to live their life or what to believe. LIve and let live, golden rule, etc. Or else you can move to Iran or Alabama and rejoin your sect.

And regarding the homophobic commenting about 5% of the population, no one knows the actual number, because bigots make many people lie about their sexuality in fear of negative reactions from people like you. But the reality is that in the entertainment industry, in ANY country, the % is way higher than 5%, 10%, 20%, etc. Many of the entertainers, writers, artists, songwriters, etc who entertain you on a daily basis are just 'evil homos who no one cares about', even if they are not out, or just not known, as most people in the entertainment industry work behind the scenes.

You're talking about one thing. I'm talking about another thing.

My point was that it is SILLY (or foolish, or stupid) to take virtually any group of people and say that they ALL feel one way about any significant topic.

I have my own view about whether it's nature or nurture or both, but I really wasn't addressing that.

Not that I am anti-gay, but somethings have to give.

Gay themed film, masturbation, sex in school uniform, sex trade, etc. Dont want that lying around the house.

So stop buying it and you won't feel ashamed when your friends find them lying around the house.

:cheesy:

Excellent .

The Board of Censors has banned the gay-themed Thai film "Insects in the Backyard" by transvestite director Tanwarin Sukkhapisit.

I am confused... He? She? In my opinion it's still a "He". So why the article continues with "she"... Where do the "she's" go peeing? in the men's restroom or in the ladies' restroom? Ask any [decent] lady in Thailand what they think about ladyboys going to the lady's restroom... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

or the "Tom's" going into the men's restroom. Anyone can help me how we are decently addressing these travestites, without hurting the real ladies?

Its funny how upset ignorant people get at trans people. What is your problem??? Only thing I can figure out is that it is just denial, kind of like the closeted homosexual beating up the outed gays. Do you honestly believe that a male to female transwoman is going to go on hormones that effectively castrate them, because they want to rape women in the women's restroom? Do you think female to male transmen are going to physically harm you in the men's restroom. Why does it matter to you if someone identifies as a specific gender, regardless of the gender assigned to them at birth. Do you really think anyone would actually choose to live that life?? Many people choose to transition because they reach a point where continuing to live in denial will only lead to more severe depression, and all too often, suicide. People are the way they are, and should be free to live how they please, as long as no one else is being harmed. Every year, hundreds, if not thousands of trans people are brutally murdered, for no reason other than that they tried to be true to themselves, and those murders often go unsolved, because of hateful bigots who hide behind their fear and think irrationally. I cannot recall any murders or assaults committed by trans people, and I am sure the incidence rate is quite low.

Thailand does have a somewhat backwards approach to labeling trans people, but in all of the civilized world, a female to male(born female) trans-man is a MAN/HE/SIR. A male to female (born male) trans-women is a FEMALE/SHE/MAAM. Transvestite is an outdated term which refers to cross dressers, and not to transexuals. If you want to be part of a civilized and accepting society, these are simple rules you follow and respect. If you do not want someone telling you how to live your life or what to believe, do not tell others how to live their life or what to believe. LIve and let live, golden rule, etc. Or else you can move to Iran or Alabama and rejoin your sect.

And regarding the homophobic commenting about 5% of the population, no one knows the actual number, because bigots make many people lie about their sexuality in fear of negative reactions from people like you. But the reality is that in the entertainment industry, in ANY country, the % is way higher than 5%, 10%, 20%, etc. Many of the entertainers, writers, artists, songwriters, etc who entertain you on a daily basis are just 'evil homos who no one cares about', even if they are not out, or just not known, as most people in the entertainment industry work behind the scenes.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

They've always censored graphic sex scenes in movies at theatres here, pretty much all Asian countries do. They do that all the time for American films, who don't mind making cuts to be released in Asian markets. You find plenty of Thai films about gays and trannies, though I guess most of you never watch Thai films

I agree these films are made for minority groups. The general public are not interested in films about gays. They only audience they will have are those that move in that circle.

You'd be surprised: There are some movies featuring gays or T-people in mainstream Thai cinemas at any given time. Thai people don't have the fears that some Westerners in this forum seem to have.

Sexually graphic movies in Asia are for minorities, like the Westerners buying them.

The opinion that being gay is a choice is only held by some heterosexuals who do not know any gay people. The reason that no gay person has this opinion is because it is simply not true.

You're wasting your time Tom. There are people out there who truly believe that people who live in places like Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia 'choose' to be gay even though they know they'll be forced to have their genitals chopped off or be executed if they're discovered. There are some posters who simply aren't worth arguing with. You know what they say - never try to teach a pig to dance. It wastes time and annoys the pig.

I know you are right. But I just cannot let sentences like that stand without at least trying to explain. The poster might genuinely not know any better and he might want to question his opinions, if he is a life-long learner interested in widening his horizon.

Teenagers in school uniforms engaging in various sexual acts with clients? NO. Underaged boys/girls Sunee Plaza, Pattaya...Yes!

how can you write something like this? - all these things and places do not exist!!

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand so "officially" the places you mention above do not exist.

TIT so the powers that be do not care if teenagers male or female from broken families and all other kinds of problems sell themselves or minors and even children are abused sexually and otherwise on a daily basis - they all know it happens - but you are not supposed to talk about it in public!

Or god forbid make a movie about it - and have the nerve to show it abroad !!!! The word "treason" comes do mind. How can you show the truth and portray Thailand as a Thai in a bad light?

You only show the good things about Thailand in movies especially if it is screened abroad.

We censor football games if the team is sponsored by an alcoholic beverage - if you miss half the game and the goals because the advertisement has to be blurred out together with the players and the ball who cares - and we won't stop the stupid soaps or censor the horror movies where people are torn to pieces alive - body parts still moving in closeup scenes, never mind all that.

Just don't show anything that is close to reality but portrays the country in a bad light - I mean the image abroad when it comes to prostitution is something purely invented by the bad foreign press - how could a Thai director legitimize these "inventions"?

You can use and abuse our teens and children as long as it stays hidden because for most "upper-class" Thais these uneducated, dirty, poor peasants are not worth to worry about anyway - do whatever you like just don't talk about it or make it public in any way! It is already embarrassing enough as it is for any "educated" Thai.

The hypocrites in charge of Thailand have the mentality of an Ostrich - just stick your head in the sand - and voila - the problem is gone.

I think it is wonderful that movies like this one are made - not so much for their cultural contribution - but they encourage discussion about subjects which are usually not openly discussed or intentionally hidden. But most of all - point out and identify problems in society which nobody wants to address - and there has never been a problem solved without identifying the root causes first.

I hope the ban will now blow up in their face and make the movie even more popular then it most probably deserves to be !

As inventive as Thais are - they will find a way to circulate it.

You're talking about one thing. I'm talking about another thing.

My point was that it is SILLY (or foolish, or stupid) to take virtually any group of people and say that they ALL feel one way about any significant topic.

I have my own view about whether it's nature or nurture or both, but I really wasn't addressing that.

Your reply was in reference to something I said. I said that all gay people know that it's not a choice to be gay or straight. My point was that you are born one way or another.

I don;t know a single gay person who would say that he choose to be gay. I also don't know any straight person who could switch to be gay if he wanted to, but I know straight people who thought that the gay life is more fun and regretted that they were straight.

SweatyPie said that the choice of a gay person is whether to live a gay life or not. I know several gay people who chose to live a straight life and found a family. This makes them "productive", but not straight. So I stand by my evaluation that being gay is *not* a choice.

I go even further and say that that is the same thing SP said. Now, you can argue this sentence.

Thai taboos tackled in Tanwarin Sukkhapisit's Insects in the Backyard

By Craig Takeuchi, September 29, 2010

Prostitution and kathoeys ("ladyboys") are part of Tanwarin Sukkhapisit's* debut feature, Insects in the Backyard (at VIFF on Tuesday and Wednesday [October 5 and 6]). But on the line from Bangkok, Sukkhapisit wanted to dispel any misconceptions about Thailand.

"In general, the world know about prostitute in Thailand," she told the Straight, apologizing for her limited English. "But in Thailand, it's not accepted. It's not legal. It's not [considered] good to raise your daughter or son to be [a] prostitute."

In the film, a tenuous family unit, composed of teenagers Johnny and Jennifer and their "big sister", Tanya (played by Sukkhapisit, herself a kathoey who has starred in 13 of her own short films), disintegrates as each member searches for love, and slips into a world of Internet hookups, homosexuality, cross-dressing, kinky sex, and prostitution. Sukkhapisit, who will visit Vancouver for the first time for the world premiere of her film, explained that Johnny and Jennifer begin to empathize with Tanya through their sexual experimentation with others.

She emphasized that the characters don't represent the norm; she wanted to show what is hidden in the Southeast Asian country, including homosexuality. "The characters in this film is not like the culture. They're different, but they're real. I want everybody to understand that." She added that the title reflects that fact. "You know…the back yard has many, many insects. But nobody can see them. Like Thailand."

Sukkhapisit's film is up for the Dragons & Tigers Award for Young Cinema, which is given to a new director from the Asia-Pacific region. Insects in the Backyard will compete against films from Singapore (Sandcastle), Vietnam (Don't Be Afraid, Bi!), China (Rumination), and more. The award will be presented at the screening of the Chinese blockbuster Aftershock next Thursday (October 7).

http://www.straight....dyboy-filmmaker

ALSO:

"Tanwarin Sukkhapisit, the katoey filmmaker":

http://thaifilmjourn...-filmmaker.html

Note:

Obviously, this comment/review was written BEFORE the hypocritical Thai Censors, stupidly talking about a "Gay-themed" film, BANNED the movie...

Thai Hypocracy at it's finest.

LaoPo

....... Obviously, this comment/review was written BEFORE the hypocritical Thai Censors, stupidly talking about a "Gay-themed" film, BANNED the movie...

LaoPo

The "Thai Censors" DID NOT talk about a "'Gay-themed' film". The Nation did, taking its lead from the film's director Tanwarin.

They DID NOT ban it because it was a "'Gay-themed' film". They have NEVER said there was anything wrong with this film, or any other, having a "gay theme". They banned it because it was pornographic. That may not suit Tanwarin's agenda, or yours, but that happens to be the case.

....... Obviously, this comment/review was written BEFORE the hypocritical Thai Censors, stupidly talking about a "Gay-themed" film, BANNED the movie...

LaoPo

The "Thai Censors" DID NOT talk about a "'Gay-themed' film". The Nation did, taking its lead from the film's director Tanwarin.

They DID NOT ban it because it was a "'Gay-themed' film". They have NEVER said there was anything wrong with this film, or any other, having a "gay theme". They banned it because it was pornographic. That may not suit Tanwarin's agenda, or yours, but that happens to be the case.

Where was it mentioned that it was pornographic......, and if so, how do YOU know ? :blink:

And, if the sentence in the OP article says: "The Board of Censors has banned the gay-themed Thai film "Insects in the Backyard".....

one may -also- assume that it was the Board of Censors who said it was Gay-themed.

Not that it matters because it was silly in the first place to call the movie (no one here on TV has seen, most likely) "Gay-themed"

LaoPo

PS: sorry for the BOLD section because I'm not able to change it to normal script, once I copy something from the original text in the OP; don't know why.

Spot on. Don't you know that reality is to be found on TV at 8.30 every night where everyone drives Mercs, has numerous maids of dark skin, the baddies all wear black, have fake moustaches and talk to themselves and the goodies all wear white and have stress trying to find the love of their life.

Thai soaps disgust me. But what really disturbs me is the Thai's love them! What is wrong here, can anyone explain? I just see and hear bitches shouting at each other and scenes of violence. My girlfriend watches them, I am so disgusted with them, I cut the plug off the TV! So I am also guilty of censorship!

It seems to me that these soaps actually reflect the culture, and it's not a pretty sight. Maybe I am misunderstanding something?

MAJIC to pattyabuggy

No you actually have a full understanding,and your reaction to this brain washing Drivel,IMO is a perfectly correct response,they need educating, that this is not the real World on TV ,and violent behaviour,and screaming tantrums is also not normal everyday behaviour.

Also uncontrollable tempers,can lead on to potential Murders,Rapes,Grievous Bodily harm, etc, for someone else.But then this is just another example of Thailand being decades behind the West,in mainstream thinking.

Having seen many Thai woman (and men) lose their temper,its to a large degree the same behaviour as the soaps fiasco depicts,so the question is:

Do the Soaps reflect the Culture or Cause Thais to Copy?... I believe the latter!

Edited by MAJIC

I don;t know a single gay person who would say that he choose to be gay. I also don't know any straight person who could switch to be gay if he wanted to, but I know straight people who thought that the gay life is more fun and regretted that they were straight.

SweatyPie said that the choice of a gay person is whether to live a gay life or not. I know several gay people who chose to live a straight life and found a family. This makes them "productive", but not straight. So I stand by my evaluation that being gay is *not* a choice.

I go even further and say that that is the same thing SP said. Now, you can argue this sentence.

1. You know one now. I believe that some gay people have chosen to be gay, while others were born that way. I know quite a few other gay men who feel the same. And I know several men who have long led a straight life, but at some point in their lives lived a gay life.

2. Bisexual men seem to switch preferences as they want, sometimes at the spur of the moment, other times for lengthy periods of time.

3. Researchers say that many, if not most "straight" men have had gay experiences.

The countless people who saw Brokeback Mountain, who awarded several accolades to the movie, who acted/directed/produced it or had anything to it MUST BE all gay. Even the critics! Because according to you gay-themed films are for those who "move in that circle". :blink: I better tell my father he's gay because he watched it too; and my mum is probably a lesbian!

1. You know one now. I believe that some gay people have chosen to be gay, while others were born that way. I know quite a few other gay men who feel the same. And I know several men who have long led a straight life, but at some point in their lives lived a gay life.

2. Bisexual men seem to switch preferences as they want, sometimes at the spur of the moment, other times for lengthy periods of time.

3. Researchers say that many, if not most "straight" men have had gay experiences.

Your comment 3 is utter nonsense and totally insulting to straight men. Isn't this against visa rules. I am a straight man have gay firends but I have never nor will I ever feel the urge to jump into bed with them. Just personally from a straight mans point of view I could not think of any worse. Show us straight men the results of this research.

Your comment 3 is utter nonsense and totally insulting to straight men. Isn't this against visa rules. I am a straight man have gay firends but I have never nor will I ever feel the urge to jump into bed with them. Just personally from a straight mans point of view I could not think of any worse. Show us straight men the results of this research.

Sometime from puberty on up, most men have had some gay experience.

But just talking about adults, according to Psychology Today, "There's growing evidence that many men who have sex with men aren't all gay or bisexual. According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than 3 million men who self-identify as straight secretly have sex with other men-putting their wives or girlfriends at risk for HIV infection and other sexually transmitted diseases. A recent New York City survey that appeared in the September 19, 2006, issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine found that nearly 1 in 10 men say they're straight and have occasional sex with men. In addition, 70 percent of these men are heterosexually married. In fact, 10 percent of all married men in this survey reported engaging in same-sex behavior during the previous year." You can find more such references if you simply do a Google search.

Where was it mentioned that it was pornographic......, and if so, how do YOU know ?

And, if the sentence in the OP article says: "The Board of Censors has banned the gay-themed Thai film "Insects in the Backyard".....

one may -also- assume that it was the Board of Censors who said it was Gay-themed.

Not that it matters because it was silly in the first place to call the movie (no one here on TV has seen, most likely) "Gay-themed"

I don't "KNOW" since I have not seen the film, as I have already explained, but the OP from The Nation wrote that " The film has explicit scenes involving masturbation and teenagers in school uniforms engaging in various sexual acts with clients." which sounds reasonably pornograhic to me.

Your assumption is hardly rational; the article is very clear what the Board said: ' “The film’s content goes against public order or morality,” the board said yesterday.'

At least we agree that The Nation was "silly", which is something.

1. So you are saying that you are gay because you chose to be gay, not because you felt that this was what you always wanted. I have to admit you are the first person I have ever met (in person or on the internet) to say so. We never stop learning.

However, I do know several gay men who only found out (admitted to themselves) at a later stage in life, usually above 30 or 40 years, that they were gay. I do think this has to do with the culture they grew up, and whether it permits homosexuality or whether it is suppressed from childhood or puberty on.

2. Yes bisexual men are a different bread, aren't they? I wish I was one. Just seeing the person, not their gender, and falling love. - I'm not being sarcastic, I just think that the chances of someone being truly bisexual are low.

3. I don't know about the research, but personal anecdotes seem to confirm that many straight men have had homosexual experiences in the past. Be it as it may, but it didn't make them gay! They will still be straight, but have had a new experience, and move on to marry a woman and found a family.