Slow Start For River Boat Service

george

Slow start for river boat service

New multi-million-baht boats are awaiting more riders.

BANGKOK: -- One week after deploying 10 boats, costing five million baht each, on two new lines, the Marine Department admitted that commuters had given them a lacklustre welcome.

The department and the Thai boat service association kicked off the Dao Khanong-Taksin Bridge route and the Soi Phetkasem 20-Memorial Bridge line, with service from 7am-9am and 4.30pm-7pm last Monday.

The boat leaves every 15 minutes and charges 10 baht.

The three-km-long Dao Khanong line takes passengers to the Taksin Bridge in just 15 minutes compared to at least an hour by bus. The 6km Phetkasem line reaches the Memorial Bridge in 30 minutes, while buses take about one hour.

The department hoped that spending less time on a boat would lure passengers away from buses or even private cars.

It uses new boats, which can carry 60 people each, on the routes, and the department has guaranteed their safety.

But Somkiat Kosiekrainiramol, a department official, said the services could not entice more passengers. The Dao Khanong route carried about 400 passengers and the Phetkasem line had about 100 riders a day, he said.

Mr Somkiat said the new service had not been publicised enough but would not give up hopes to boost its popularity.

The department was not thinking about profit making, he said, adding the lines were seen as new options for commuters who could travel safely and fast for less.

At least the services are giving commuters such as Kanda Manatthon and Aekchai Sribundit a way to avoid road traffic congestion.

Before the launch of the service, 25-year-old Miss Kanda took a public bus from Dao Khanong to work at a private company in Ratchaprasong area.

After trying the service, she said she arrived at work quicker. Taking a trip on the water was also more enjoyable, as she liked travelling on the Chao Phraya river.

But she said it cost more than the bus because she had to take the skytrain from the boat pier.

``If I'm not in a hurry, I prefer a bus to save money. The boat is good when I have to rush to work,'' she said.

Mr Aekchai, who works in the Sathorn area, said the boat service was a much more interesting way to travel than by bus, which he normally took. It relieved boredom and gave him more to look at on the way to work.

The service was a good idea and the department should promote the line so more people would use it, he said.

The department is considering introducing three more lines from Taksin Bridge to Nonthaburi, Klong Toey Port and Samut Prakan.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-08

Probably the least stressful way to get to Bangkok's cbd from the north end is by the river. Hope it gets viable enough that they keep it up and running.

Maybe more tourists can be inticed to use them for sightseeing.

cv

typical thai response: i'd rather take the bus bcoz its cheaper! what a comparison: saving at least 1 hour in traffic jam OR spend some 5 baht more per trip? I will never ever understand that argumentation.

agreed cdnvic, hope the service will continue, yeah even extended. The only REAL way to have a quick bkk trip (imho)...

I always tell my friends that there is never a traffic jam on the water! :D

I was commuting on the Klong Saen Saeb for a while and was able to get to work in about 1/2 an hour, compared with an hour or more by bus. My Thai co-workers thought that travelling by boat was awfully eccentric. :o

I always tell my friends that there is never a traffic jam on the water!  :D

I was commuting on the Klong Saen Saeb for a while and was able to get to work in about 1/2 an hour, compared with an hour or more by bus.  My Thai co-workers thought that travelling by boat was awfully eccentric. :o

I've watched these boats with fascination and want to try using them. I've found it difficult to get any information on them (end-points, fares, etc.). Can you share any details or pointers/links?

How far west do these boats go? Just to the area near the Golden Mount or further along towards the Chao Phra? Is there a Khlong boat service on the Khlong Kasem and can you connect to it from the Khlong San Sap boats? How far east does the boat go? I've heard close to the Mall in Bang Kapi? Also, I've noticed people at the Ratchadamri Rd. pier changing boats that seem to be heading in the same direction. Why do they do that? MAybe to reach a different terminus? Sorry for so many quesitons.