Phuket Landing Fees Slashed To Lure More Tourists

webfact

Phuket landing fees slashed to lure more tourists

phuket-1-ehgjOGs.jpg

With high season fast approaching, AOT is looking to boost the number

of tourists arriving at Phuket Airport. Photo: File

PHUKET: -- Airlines that launch a service connecting Phuket with a “new” destination will have their landing fees for all flights on that service slashed by 95%.

As an added bonus, airlines that open any such new routes will receive 70 baht per passenger on any scheduled flights landing in off-peak hours: from 1am to 8:59am and 10pm to midnight.

Effective November 1, the massive discount and the cash-back bonus are part of a new incentives scheme launched by Airports of Thailand (AOT).

The scheme will be in place for three years and aims to encourage airlines to open new international routes to Phuket and three other destination airports in Thailand: Chiang Mai International Airport, Haad Yai International Airport and Mae Fah Luang-Chiang Rai International Airport.

Extra flights added to existing routes will not receive the discount on landing fees. They will, however, receive 60 baht per passenger landed during off-peak hours, and 40 baht per passenger landed during peak hours.

Chartered flights bringing passengers from new destinations will receive also the 95% reduction in landing fees, but only 35 baht per passenger landed off-peak.

To encourage airlines to bring in more tourists, chartered flights serving existing routes will receive 30 baht per passenger landed off-peak and 20 baht per passenger landed during peak hours.

The AOT has stipulated that a new route will be classified as such for only one year, after which it will be considered an existing route. The cash bonus for passengers landed on “new” routes will continue after the first year.

Any international airline may take part in the scheme, as long as they have a clean record and no outstanding debts with the company, said the AOT.

From May to October this year, 31 carriers have been operating from Phuket Airport, of which 25 are foreign airlines operating chartered and regular flights to 28 international cities in Asia and Europe.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-11-12

Maybe I'm a little slow, but does anyone even care are about saving the 35-70 baht cost from the landing fees. How about doing something about the stranglehold that the taxi mafia has in Phuket instead. The price of hotels could take a looking at also. And while we're at it, how about the lack of respect and simply bad service given to farang tourists.

<deleted> is AOT thinking by actually promoting a plan like this? They are completely out of touch with farang reality when they make statements like this. Don't they know it will have the absolutely opposite effect of their desired response. Sad sad sad............

Edited by ehs818

Perhaps if they did something about the predatory taxi concessions at the airport, along with the tuk tuk mafia all over the island, it might have a positive effect on tourism.

Nah, the damage is already done from a decade of 'screw the farang' mentality.

Som nam na. Let them eat cake.

Having just visited Phuket/Patong for the first time, this will not in any way affect my need to go back.

One of my two biggest complaints are transport to/from the airport (why is it so dam_n far from where people go? Are there no flat pieces of land that are actually anywhere near Patong or Phuket?). They should have the 'Taxi-Meter' stand dispatch taxis that actually USE the meter. Getting back is even worse, since you are likely to get gouged by the local tour desk, in addition to the taxi or van operator (I had one desk quote me ฿600 for a taxi from Patong to the airport, which was still better than the ฿650 my hotel wanted, but I kept shopping). At least Phuket City has a real bus going to the airport, but a late night/early morning flight would render that option completely worthless, just like staying in Patong does.

My second complaint is that getting around Patong is a major PITA, given the lack of options. Unless you want to walk back and forth everywhere, you pretty much have to hire those worthless tuk-tuk's, and they will take you way out of the way, charging for the privilege. Even moto-taxis are hard to find in most of the town. Why can Patong not support songthaews like Pattaya, or even Phuket City? I honestly would not recommend Patong over Pattaya, mainly for these 2 reasons.

I hope their plans works out, if for no other reason than to encourage them to increase the infrastructure, but my visit there was less pleasant than it should have been. As minor of a detail as airport transport may seem, it is the first and last impression a city/area will make on a tourist, so it does count.

Edited by RaoulDuke

Maybe I'm a little slow, but does anyone even care are about saving the 35-70 baht cost from the landing fees. How about doing something about the stranglehold that the taxi mafia has in Phuket instead. The price of hotels could take a looking at also. And while we're at it, how about the lack of respect and simply bad service given to farang tourists.

<deleted> is AOT thinking by actually promoting a plan like this? They are completely out of touch with farang reality when they make statements like this. Don't they know it will have the absolutely opposite effect of their desired response. Sad sad sad............

I think you hit the nail on the head, fact is AOT don't care what you the farang think, your opinions are irrelevant. This is Thailand, your not Thai, what do you know?..............Well only what makes a farang tick!! Have you seen some of the posters/Bill boards in English advertising Thailand and locations inside Thailand to visit? The spelling and grammar is bad on a lot of them. Am I knocking there ability to write readable English...............Dam right I am! But can't lose face and get the script checked by an English prof reader.

Please don't bother, (grammar and spelling Nazis) I'm not trying to squeeze money out of you!

Edited by Tonto21

The title is misleading and everyone seems to be jumping on the "bad-mouth Phuket band-wagon".

It really should read "Phuket landing fees slashed to lure more flights" and thus more tourists.

Nothing to do with tourists (directly), it's for the airlines consumption.

Edited by KarenBravo

The title is misleading and everyone seems to be jumping on the "bad-mouth Phuket band-wagon".

It really should read "Phuket landing fees slashed to lure more flights" and thus more tourists.

To Late “KarenBravo”! The torches have been lit, the nose has been prepared and the mob is all fired up! The mob don't need details......... Make your mind up...Your either on the cross, or banging the nails in.

Entirely agree. A positive AOT scheme turns into another Phuket/public transport bashing thread.

The only negative is the apparent encouragement for flights to land in the early hours of the morning, which would cause additional noise pollution for those on the flight path.

Or is it just a scheme cooked up to appease the additional taxis that were recently granted licences to operate at the airport?

Having just visited Phuket/Patong for the first time, this will not in any way affect my need to go back.

One of my two biggest complaints are transport to/from the airport (why is it so dam_n far from where people go? Are there no flat pieces of land that are actually anywhere near Patong or Phuket?). They should have the 'Taxi-Meter' stand dispatch taxis that actually USE the meter. Getting back is even worse, since you are likely to get gouged by the local tour desk, in addition to the taxi or van operator (I had one desk quote me ฿600 for a taxi from Patong to the airport, which was still better than the ฿650 my hotel wanted, but I kept shopping). At least Phuket City has a real bus going to the airport, but a late night/early morning flight would render that option completely worthless, just like staying in Patong does.

My second complaint is that getting around Patong is a major PITA, given the lack of options. Unless you want to walk back and forth everywhere, you pretty much have to hire those worthless tuk-tuk's, and they will take you way out of the way, charging for the privilege. Even moto-taxis are hard to find in most of the town. Why can Patong not support songthaews like Pattaya, or even Phuket City? I honestly would not recommend Patong over Pattaya, mainly for these 2 reasons.

I hope their plans works out, if for no other reason than to encourage them to increase the infrastructure, but my visit there was less pleasant than it should have been. As minor of a detail as airport transport may seem, it is the first and last impression a city/area will make on a tourist, so it does count.

I'm not getting your point.

The minibus from the airport to Patong and v v. costs some THB 150. That's three or four euros. If you want to take a taxi, that's your choice, but please don't complain that they cost more.

And Patong is so small, I always walk around. If you want to be carried (would you prefer by hand, or is a motor vehicle acceptable?), please note that you'd have to pay for it. Much less less than in Europe, though.

Kindly clarify your point, I'm not getting it at all.

As an added bonus, airlines that open any such new routes will receive 70 baht per passenger on any scheduled flights landing in off-peak hours: from 1am to 8:59am and 10pm to midnight.

I'm curious why they excluded the hour between 0001-0059? Is that an already-busy (i.e. peak) time already?

All very well luring the airlines but they will only fly if passengers fill the planes and the passengers seem to be voting with their feet and going elsewhere (those that are still travelling).

All very well luring the airlines but they will only fly if passengers fill the planes and the passengers seem to be voting with their feet and going elsewhere (those that are still travelling).

Really? Funny how each year more and more tourists come to Phuket. The only time it has dipped was because of outside events that were beyond Phukets control.

If your statement was true, why do they keep expanding Phuket International Airports capacity?

Yes, tourists are voting with their feet and coming to Phuket in droves.

Here's a couple of links to back me up.

http://www.eturbonew...-phuket-airport

http://www.phuketair...ine.com/node/20

If what you say is a fact and not just an erroneous opinion, please supply a link to back it up. In other words, "put up, or, shut-up".

Too many people on this forum trying to pass off opinion as fact.

Edited by KarenBravo

"... will receive 70 baht per passenger ~ the massive discount and the cash-back bonus ..."

Who writes this crap? Landing fees are very small (Malaysia with the highest that I am aware of) but trying to sensationalise this report as a tourist boost - please - give me strength! dry.gif

Edited by asiawatcher

Come on Guys - what makes you so negative?

These plans are sound sweetners for Airlines to bring in the flights to other parts of Thailand many of you have been waiting for. Airlines have to spend heavily on Route Development costs even before they start with Marketing, Operations, Engineering and Handling. The savings are a win win for both Airlines and the Airport Operators and substitute marginal costs with marginal revenue. If you don't like the taxis then bring a foldaway bike with you.

Cheap Thailand has gone for a long while as Asian Economies align to each other and away from the West.

how much is landing fees exactly?? what is the lowest and highest?

A landing fee is the service fee an airline has to pay to the airport. The airport provides a service, it has to be paid for, that's normal. In addition, there are navigation fees, parking fees, passenger or cargo handling fees, you name it.

The landing fees can range from THB 2,000 to well over THB 120,000, depending on the size of the aircraft and the time of the day. I haven't handled really big aircraft, maybe the fees can get even higher, who knows. If operating weekly or daily flights, this can be a reasonable amount, especially to small airlines.