Thais Spend 94 Minutes A Day On Average In Reading: Research

webfact

Thais spend 94 minutes a day on average in reading: Research

BANGKOK: -- Thai people read an average of 94 minutes daily, but mainly among the young and government workers, according to academic research by Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Education and state-operated Thailand Knowledge Park (TK Park).

According to the survey, young people and government officials were those spending their time on reading the most, whereas adults aged over 49 were found spending their time on doing so the least. Persons under 20 years old were found reading less with an average of reading habits on three to four days weekly.

The research on the reading situation and reading index in 2009 released Friday was conducted in 13 provinces.

Among those surveyed, 5,865 people filled in questionnaires, 156 attended small discussion sessions, and another 191 of them were studied through their extreme reading habits -- both for reading as their passion and the opposite, said Wannee Keamkate, lecturer and head of the research project.

According to the research, people living in urban areas had their reading index higher than those in suburban zones, and the reason why young people are not passionate about reading was due to their laziness.

Regarding their spending on books, Thai readers paid some Bt523 (US$18) for printed materials per month. The range of spending habits varied from spending nothing books at all until about Bt9,000 (US$310) monthly.

Meanwhile, Assoc Prof Sompong Jitradub of the Education Faculty said the fact that Thais read on average 94 minutes a day was useful information, as it could argue with previous statistics that Thais read only about eight lines a year. Such finding will as well act as a policy stimulation on reading, he added.

The Cabinet in August 2009 declared reading a national agenda by making April 2 Thailand's 'Reading Day'. This date also marks the birthday of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, known for being a passionate reader.

Moreover, 2009-2018 was announced as the 'Decade of Reading' in the country in order to promote and enhance reading habits among Thais. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-11-13

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that they spend even a longer time on reading, but what they read exactly? looking around the answer is : text messages, FaceBook, chats and the looong free browsing at the newsagents (gossip magazines, etc) without purchasing anything....:jap:

It would have been interesting to know what the typical materials are that people are reading? Does this forum fall into this reading category? Because amongst literary circles, even the best news articles written by the Nation and TV replies to them are hardly worthy of the Booker Prize.

My guess is that they spend even a longer time on reading, but what they read exactly? looking around the answer is : text messages, FaceBook, chats and the looong free browsing at the newsagents (gossip magazines, etc) without purchasing anything....:jap:

My GF is in her last year of Uni. Every day when i ask her how was her day and what she learned, the answer is always the same-I not remember. So you right, what exactly do they read?-lol

^^ She probably says that because she can't be bothered to tell you. :whistling:

As someone else said, what are they reading? Those tatty comic books, magazines, newspapers, and Facebook, et al, don't quite cut the mustard.

^^ She probably says that because she can't be bothered to tell you. :whistling:

I know it could be hard to accept, but some people do have "normal" relations where both people talk, so no she does not remember. Just like she studied German for 3 years and only remembers how to count to 10.

Just like she actually studies 1 hour prior to exam because even if she was to fail, she will still pass.

But give her any girly magazine or facebook, or tagged of someone and she will tell me whats on every single page.

EDUCATION

Thais spend 94 minutes a day reading

By Darapan Kaewmukda

The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_26948.jpg

Thais spend 94 minutes a day reading, a research project by the Thailand Knowledge Park (TK Park) and Chulalongkorn University (CU) Faculty of Education has discovered.

The project comprised a survey covering 5,865 people in 13 provinces, a focus group of 156 people as well as 191 people who are either passionate about reading or hate it.

“The average figure is satisfactory, but if we look closely, things are different,” CU lecturer Assoc Prof Dr Wannee Kaemkate said in her capacity as leader of the project.

She said some respondents spent up to 18 hours a day reading, while some did not read a single sentence.

“Some children say they don’t bother reading because they are too lazy,” Wannee said. “Civil servants read the most.”

According to her, some respondents spent more than Bt9,000 a month on books, while others did not spend a single baht on reading material.

“The findings are very useful because they allow parties concerned to develop better strategies to promote reading,” Wannee said.

She explained that research showed that many children were not interested in reading because they found books dull. “If we can make books fun and interesting, maybe they will find reading appealing,” Wannee pointed out.

Dr Suthep Boonsorn, a researcher involved in the project, suggested that the government develop libraries in rural areas, because the available books and regulations were not conducive to developing a reading habit.

“Books there are old. Children are also repeatedly told that they will have to pay fines if the books are damaged, so many of them choose to stay away from libraries,” he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-13

Hmmm .... what a bunch of crap!!!

"Meanwhile, Assoc Prof Sompong Jitradub of the Education Faculty said the fact that Thais read on average 94 minutes a day was useful information, as it could argue with previous statistics that Thais read only about eight lines a year."

I would believe the 8 lines a year but I am sure it is a little bit higher. They are talking averages here and the vast majority of the many people that I have seen in 2 years do not read or at least I have never seen them pick up something to read. They have obtained all of their findings from interviews and surveys and "She said some respondents spent up to 18 hours a day reading, while some did not read a single sentence." BULL S HIT! That would mean that these particular 18 hour/day readers spent the remaining 6 hours a day doing everything else .... sleeping, eating, traveling to and from work, friends, family, toilet time etc. I guess there must not be any kind of filter to look at the answers given.

I myself spend 27 hours each day reading!!!!! :lol:

Mostly comics I would think. Look around trains and buses. Fashion mags don't even get a real look in and iPods also seem to induct trance-like intelligence in the average Thai between phone calls. But who are we to dis the 'facts' being 94 minutes a day reading - which could be justified and even feasible enough as transport times to and from places of abode would give you that with ease.

The survey covered less than 6,000 people in 17 provinces and the focus groups, which number less than 400 individuals. This seems to be another example of conducting a survey with virtually no regard to finding the cause, effect, nor a plausible solution to a problem. The leader of the project supposedly holds a doctors degree and has the distinction of holding a Associate professor position.

I hope those who are proposing the cure all flood plan for drainage of Bangkok approach the problem with a little more practical expertise.

Excellent example of the difference between western and eastern attitudes. You actually asked the question ''what do they read exactly''. The report says the answer is ''research''. Now you probably would like to know ''what type of research''.

Hmmm, sorry mister, but that was not on the questionaire. Oh, and ''Farang think too much''

According to the research, people living in urban areas had their reading index higher than those in suburban zones, and the reason why young people are not passionate about reading was due to their laziness.

TNA 2010-11-13

"Some children say they don't bother reading because they are too lazy," Wannee said.

The Nation 2010-11-13

Once again, poor reporting may be at fault.

When I saw in the first report a university researcher ascribing something to "laziness" I was taken aback.

"Laziness", apart from the subjectivity of any definition of it, is not a cause of anything, but a consequence. We feel lazy to do something because we are unmotivated, disempowered, preoccupied, tired or whatever. We are lazy about the things that don't motivate us and diligent about the things that do.

The second report was more reassuring. The researcher was simply reporting what some children had said. It was not something she'd said herself.

I know it could be hard to accept, but some people do have "normal" relations where both people talk, so no she does not remember. Just like she studied German for 3 years and only remembers how to count to 10.

Just like she actually studies 1 hour prior to exam because even if she was to fail, she will still pass.

But give her any girly magazine or facebook, or tagged of someone and she will tell me whats on every single page.

Whatever happened to 'my GF is different'?

Must be a blow to find that your Thai uni girls responses are the same as the average bar girl.... except they probably get regular German refreshers.

Maybe someone can chip in here with the dazzling insight on their hi-so Thai GF's reading habits.

I have read quite a few nonsense statistics published by Thais, but I think this one takes the cake :lol:

The sample used, the questions apparently asked, make it impossible for any serious researcher, let alone an assistant professor, to form any valid conclusions,

This is just a political gimmick, I doubt if even 1% of Thais could be classed as serious readers, and that includes professors ;)

Whatever happened to 'my GF is different'?

Must be a blow to find that your Thai uni girls responses are the same as the average bar girl.... except they probably get regular German refreshers.

Maybe someone can chip in here with the dazzling insight on their hi-so Thai GF's reading habits.

I have no idea what you are on about and for the life of me can not see the relevance to the thread.

Seems you have never had a non bar girl, so may be you should try it and it also helps having one close to your age,so you would have similar interests and things in common

Of course ability to speak English is a big plus, and desire to to see things other then the bar or ability to comprehend other many many simple things.

If you even consider Uni student to be hi-so, i can not help but feel sorry for you and can only imagine who you hang around with.

PS. Should you feel the need to come back with something as irrelevant as the this post, my GF is not from a rich family and by no means a hi-so, She is from a family of teachers who care more about daughter education then having her work bar to send them money.

PPS. Yes she non bar girls with education are different and you will know that once you date one for a change

Mostly comics I would think. Look around trains and buses. Fashion mags don't even get a real look in and iPods also seem to induct trance-like intelligence in the average Thai between phone calls. But who are we to dis the 'facts' being 94 minutes a day reading - which could be justified and even feasible enough as transport times to and from places of abode would give you that with ease.

Asiawatcher is right on the money. During the time I was teaching in a university, teaching a core course, I would walk around the classroom and most of the students had cartoon books rather than the book on my subject.

What is disgusting is these students are the future of Thailand.

One girl did so bad in five semesters (3 "W"'s, 2 "F"'s) that I had to advise her to find a boyfriend and get married. Her next teacher in the subject was a very kind Thai teacher and she passed. The name of the game is pay your money and get your grade. Who cares about studying? That is their thought process.