Cold Spell Hits 13 Thai Provinces

webfact

Cold spell hits 13 Thai provinces

med_gallery_327_1086_4747.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 13 -- Thirteen provinces in the north and northeastern regions Thailand are now hit by a cold spell, and the Meteorological Department forecasts that frigid temperatures in the North this year will be much more severe than in past years.

Altogether 14,260 villages in the 13 provinces are currently affected by the cold spell and declared disaster zones from cold, said the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

The 13 provinces are Chiang Mai, Phetchabun, Phayao, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Lamphun, Chiang Rai, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Loei, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Phanom and Nong Khai.

Meanwhile, authorities in the northern capital of Chiang Mai have declared two more districts -- Mae Chaem and Chom Thong -- to be cold spell-hit areas, raising the number of districts to become weather victim labelled to nine, Chiang Mai deputy governor Chuchart Kilapang said on Saturday.

To date, more than 180,000 residents in Chiang Mai are affected by the cold weather while officials are instructed to provide assistance for these affected people.

Also, local authorities concerned prepare to declare another six districts in the province to become cold spell zones.

In another related development , several charitable organisations have begun distributing clothes and blankets to the poor in the affected areas.

Temperatures in the North are expected to drop between 1- 4 degrees Celsius next week due to a high pressure area from China which will extend its weather system ridge to cover the region, making it possible for the temperature to drop below 15 degrees Celsius, according to a forecast by the Meteorological Department. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-11-13

A different Chiang Mai?

Cool earlier last week but temp now at 28c at 5pm, my pool was showing 26c and this morning I walked my dogs at 6.30am and it was very pleasant around 20c.

The cold spell may well be coming back though if that's what they are referring to.

I wish I was there now so I could wander around shirtless and in shorts and jandals to the amazement of the locals. Nothing wrong with 15 degrees.

Nothing wrong with it ... if you're used to it.

How would you deal with it if the temperature there was 10-15 degrees colder than usual, and you didn't have the clothes or heating to deal with it?

Somewhat erroneous reporting (surprise) since the vast majority of northern folks live in the lowlands and have proper homes and clothing. The relative minority, e.g. hilltribe folks that live up around 1000 meters do however face harsh conditions. 10-15 degrees may not be really cold by many westerners standards but these people live on exposed hillsides with damp rotting conditions sitting around cough-inducing campfires. Every year there are efforts to provide blankets but the cheapest ones in the local market are that cheapo poly-nylon crap which doesn't last long and isn't all that warm anyway. But try telling them to spend an extra 200 baht for something decent and it falls on deaf ears.

I wish I was there now so I could wander around shirtless and in shorts and jandals to the amazement of the locals. Nothing wrong with 15 degrees.

Nothing wrong with it ... if you're used to it.

How would you deal with it if the temperature there was 10-15 degrees colder than usual, and you didn't have the clothes or heating to deal with it?

Indeed. I'm in Phuket, it's 82ºF (29ºC) and it feels quite chilly.

@hayden

I wish I was there now so I could wander around shirtless and in shorts and jandals to the amazement of the locals. Nothing wrong with 15 degrees.""

I remember my ex's first winter in France : her body just couldn't adjust . Not fun . Plus she had no idea about how to use a scarf, a hat, woolen socks...She knew nothing about cold . After years she stands cold better than I do but hates it .

Just you spend two or three winters out of the cold then your body won't ajust . 15 ° I wear a coat .

They would be 'amazed' all right but not because of your cold tolerance. It would be due to your cultural ignorance.

Still really hot in Nakhon Sawan. I would really enjoy some of that cold weather. If you look at the picture, it seems a little education would go a long way to help people stay warm. Like wear a hat. Wear long sleeve shirts and pants. Wear socks. Wear layers of clothes. Botton up your shirt. Just a few little things can go a long way.

:jap:

Up in Chiang Saen it's still quite warm in the day time, it's at night when the temperature drops considerably. The wooden houses just don't have controllable temperatures. Whatever temp. it is outside, it is inside too. Must be quite a shock to the system if you're not used to it.

Whatever happened to the "weather" thread? Or was it the "rain" thread?

Anyway, it's 30ºC (about 83ºF) in Phuket, I'm drinking a nice hot cup of tea, and starting to feel warm again.

Hope the people up north get some warm weather soon.

I may be missing something but year after year there is a cold spell and year after year there are stories of the handing out of warm clothes and blankets.

Can someone please tell me where all the warm weather apparel handed out in previous years has gone?

I may be missing something but year after year there is a cold spell and year after year there are stories of the handing out of warm clothes and blankets.

Can someone please tell me where all the warm weather apparel handed out in previous years has gone?

simple, the cold weather ended, they sold the warm clothes... I mean, what the hey, why worry about next year when today its 90 degrees..

The same happens in Australia. Every year the charities are handing out blankets to homeless people.