Pattaya Guys In Chiang Rai...

Michaelaway

Well, without wishing to jump to any conclusions at all about the good folks of Pattaya, whatever their reasons for being there (last time I checked it was a reasonably free world where people can do what ever they want)

I will assume that the kind of fun that is readily available in Pattaya (and everywhere else btw!), is not what you and your friends would be looking for in CR?

Being in a more rural setting, there's mountains, rivers, temples (Wat Long Khun being one of the obvious 'must see' places along with Black Village) Trips to the golden triangle, hilltribe villages, Mae Sai on the border with Myanmar, the night market in Muang Chiang Rai.

Motorcycle rides in the North are a great way to explore the countryside.

It all depends what you mean by 'fun'.

Check out the google map on the CR forum.

Hope you have a good time. :)

Cheers,

Biff

I think it will be easier to answer your query if you elaborate on what your friends idea of fun is. By highlighting 'ways to have fun in Chiang Rai?' you haven't really given us much of a clue.

Biff has covered most things though and you have a personal invite to the potluck from Kandahar so that's a good start.

And don't forget an elephant ride and a visit to Doi Tung or Doi Mae Salong would be very nice at this time of year and if your friends are early risers then seeing the sunrise at Phu Chi Fah should be on their list. I think Jubby may have recently started knitting which would be a fun way to spend a few hours too, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you guys wanted to join in one afternoon, the choices are endless!

Fist, let me thank the 3 responders for their kind opinions and comments. I have been to Chiang Rai twice before, and found both the Thai's & farangs there to be quite friendly & welcoming (for my 2 friends, this will be their first time). Second, I ask that you please resist the obvious temptation to feel that you know us. Coming from Pattaya (actually, we live in much-calmer Jomtien) means only one thing for sure: that's where we live. It says nothing about who we are.

I hope your replies will continue; it's been extremely interesting to hear about the many options for fun in the Chiang Rai area. Now, it's off to the airport; see you later on today!

-Michael (going) Away

B)

Jontiem ! . You'll be looking for the Boy Bars then ;-)

No, Seriously. If you have the time, Hire a small motorbike, 125. and do some small tours, its definately the best time of year for it.

I'm trying to get a Knitting class started , Its just me and my flaky neighbour at the moment, its gonna take some time .. maybe next time ...

Jontiem ! . You'll be looking for the Boy Bars then ;-)

No, Seriously. If you have the time, Hire a small motorbike, 125. and do some small tours, its definately the best time of year for it.

I'm trying to get a Knitting class started , Its just me and my flaky neighbour at the moment, its gonna take some time .. maybe next time ...

If you have a finished knitted scarf ready for the next potlluck, bring it along. I'm sure it will prove to be a sure-fire conversation starter, and if it's cool, you may well find someone willing to part with money for it. Or if it's in green wool you could save it's first public appearance for a hash - would look very good with the wellies.

I went to Pattaya 12 years ago, and have never been back. I wasn't real impressed with Cha'am, this time around. Chiang Rai is one of my favorite cities in the World. Just when you are getting bored with temples, you will see some new ones, that are super intense. IMO, best noodles in Thailand. Overall, there is better value in Chiang Mai, but it is certainly a lot easier to get across the street in Chiang Rai. Cooler in the hot season, too.

As another poster has said, it is a great place for hiring some "grunty" motorbikes and exploring the hills and mountains around Chiang Rai.

Up in the hills there are some lovely villages which are worth exploring, along with tea plantations and stalls selling all different kinds of tea, if you are into that sort of thing.

There are few bars in Jetyod (I think that's how it spelled, or something similar) road and one in particular call Cat Bar which has a few instruments in and the owner plays guitar and anyone else is welcome to join in with a song or playing an instrument, and it all makes for a very entertaining evening.

The bars are nothing like that in Pattaya and I believe there are only a handful of bars where there are girls dancing around, ready to entertain.

The white wat is well worth a visit and is absolutely stunning.

I like the place, lovely people, laid-back pace and cleaner than many similar "cities" in Thailand. Don't forget it does get cold/cool night-times between now and the next few months, so jeans and long sleeve shirts may well be on the cards.

If you have a finished knitted scarf ready for the next potlluck, bring it along. I'm sure it will prove to be a sure-fire conversation starter, and if it's cool, you may well find someone willing to part with money for it. Or if it's in green wool you could save it's first public appearance for a hash - would look very good with the wellies.

Wellies Harsu, WELLIES !? ...... My trusty Berghaus Yeti Gaiters are Sulking now. :D ..... I'm sure that 'Square Router' Character who visited one of our hashes from Chiang Mai and made such a huge impression on me , would approve of em B)

Oh, me and my flaky friend are Knitting with Silk, we first extract the silk from said worm but its not easy for us, it needs steady hands .

Wellies Harsu, WELLIES !? ...... My trusty Berghaus Yeti Gaiters are Sulking now. :D ..... I'm sure that 'Square Router' Character who visited one of our hashes from Chiang Mai and made such a huge impression on me , would approve of em B)

Oh, me and my flaky friend are Knitting with Silk, we first extract the silk from said worm but its not easy for us, it needs steady hands .

Try boiling the silk worms first, they wriggle a lot less and it makes the thread a lot easier to unravel onto the knitting pins.

Well, it looks like the options for fun in Chiang Rai are limited.

If you want to have some fun, when you meet somebody who tells you that Chiang Rai is the best place in the world to live, you could ask them,

''Oh, do you knit with silk from silk worms also ??''

The replies, and subsequent conversation could be the stuff of novels.

You could try a few other lines like,

''I was thinking of adding the silkworm to a bottle of Sangsom, the way the Mexicans add the worm to the Tequila''.

And continue on ad infinitum.

Re the tea plantations. They do grow other aromatic stuff in the mountains.

Re Cat's Bar, check out the main counter. It is an awesome piece of timber. About 3 metres long, 0,6 metres wide, and 150mm thick, all in one piece.

To conclude, fun is what you make it to be !!!!!!

Ah, CR is not the most somnolent and quiescent backwater that the locals try to make it out to be.

I think they perhaps just want to keep their little bit of heaven just that way.

OP, you do know that it is common wisdom in Thailand, among Thais, that Chiang Rai has the most beautiful women in all the Kingdom, bar none?

And who am I to disagree with that.:jap:

I understand that CR has one remaining hooker from the exciting days of yore. She is 86 years old and is proud of her title of 'Only Hooker in CR". I believe her regular clientele consists of two older gentlemen, one 87 years old and the other 92. The 87 year old generally falls asleep before the business is finished and the 92 year old generally forgets where he was going and never shows up when he heads her way. Recently, she announced to the 87 year old that, today, he was going to have super sex. He thought long and hard before finally answering, "I guess I'll have the soup".

Younger out-of-town guys are steered in her direction when they arrive and ask "those" kinds of questions. Not much gets done in those deals either, because she always insists on knitting a scarf for them when they show up in tank tops and shorts.

Recently, one young man demanded that she perform a sex act. She said "okay" and poked him in the eye with a knitting needle and then asked him "What am I?". When he answered that he didn't know, she told him, "I'm acting like a dick".

She is currently training a few younger women to take over after she has left this world. The training is slow. So far, they are still in the stage of spinning the yarn. They are required to know the basics before they can move up to the next level, which is selecting the right guy to extend his hands so they can wrap the yarn around his hands in preparation for the next step. Tough learning. Especially for him.

Edited by kandahar

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're back from Chiang Rai about 5 days now. Just needed a few days to think it all over, re-read your great comments... and now, reply:

I will assume that the kind of fun that is readily available in Pattaya (and everywhere else btw!), is not what you and your friends would be looking for in CR? Sorry, but wrong- at least in the case of my two friends. They are both here on vacation, while I live here with my Thai girlfriend of five years. <b><br style=""> <br style=""> </b>

Being in a more rural setting, there's mountains, rivers, temples... the golden triangle, hilltribe villages, Mae Sai... the night market in Muang Chiang Rai. Yes, we went to the day and the nights markets in Chiang Rai, looking around and shopping for gifts. Also, my friends took a daytrip (with 2 ladies from an un-named Jedyod bar...) and they visited the hilltribe village of the long-neck ladies; the White Temple & the famous hot springs.

Note: I think their daytrip was a virtual metaphor for the whole trip to Chiang Rai for these two happy, fun-loving Aussie's... who, as a result of many previous trips to Pattaya/Jomtien, were starting to think they were pretty good at getting along in Thailand... in the evenings... with the ladies...

I think it was our second night in Chiang Rai, and you could see the Aussie's were getting ready for a big evening (ladies would definitely be involved). So, at about 19:30 we all made our way down to the previously-mentioned un-named Jedyod bar, where two young lovelies soon approached our table and sat beside the guys, who were quick to order drinks all around. Well, you know how it is...and this kind of laughing- drinking, drinking-laughing session began and ended 4 or 5 hours later with the announcement that the 4 would all be going sight-seeing by car in the morning... so wait for us tomorrow... and we're gonna show you a really good time... for sure... not tonight... tomorrow's the big day... ok?

We now all refer to that bar as The House of Disappointment... krap.

The story goes that the girls were, in the final analysis, full of suggestions &, promises, which led to beer, money, food, a hilltribe village, the white temple, more food, more beer; and finally: the famous & relaxing hot springs... where the ladies, ever-dedicated to taking care... bathed together in one private area after explaining to the limp-jawed Aussie's that they should go on and do the same... see you in an hour! And, after that, things continued in a similar vein... until the disappointing ending.

Biff got that right. If the guys are here on the 28th, there is a family style potluck scheduled. It is just out of town, next to a lake. Nice setting, good company and conversation. Biff, dude... Kandy, man. First, we are all sorry we had to leave Chiang Rai before the potluck on the 28th... bummer. And, you guys sound like nearly all the farangs we met whilst visiting beautiful Chiang Rai. The guys at Kangaroo Bar (superb Sunday afternoon there, with free snacks & good folks), and Rico's Chiang Rai Corner (Rico's a great guy, always smiling, like most of his expat customers. And, his food is great and actually under-priced for the size of the portions served)... we had a great time meeting all kinds of guys from all over the place. And, the stories...? Don't get me started!

I think Jubby may have recently started knitting which would be a fun way to spend a few hours too, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you guys wanted to join in one afternoon, the choices are endless! Meeting Jubby, and exploring his endless choices is another Chiang Rai attraction we sadly missed. Would like to hear more details, though... prior to next trip.

Jontiem ! . You'll be looking for the Boy Bars then ;-) Jubby weighing in- Hey Bud, great! Now, whatchu talkin' 'bout, Jubby...?

I'm trying to get a Knitting class started , Its just me and my flaky neighbour at the moment, its gonna take some time .. maybe next time ... Ohhhh, knitting, ok. And I'm the one who's looking for the gay bars, eh? Anyway, despite the fact that I really didn't see that one coming originally, I will only say that you've piqued my interest to the extent that I soon plan to Google: knitting in Jomtien... and see what happens... I'll let you know.

Messing around in Chiang Rai is not as good as Pattaya. You can look forward to some great western food at Don's Cafe in Doi Hang. Thanks for the suggestion, Don. Guess you oughta know. Sadly, we never made it to your establishment; I really wish we had. Also noticed your 199 baht price for Thanksgiving Dinner with all the trimmings... good on you, mate! Nobody offering a great holiday deal like that 'round Pattaya town... no way.

I went to Pattaya 12 years ago, and have never been back. Up to you, krap. I wasn't real impressed with Cha'am, this time around. Ok, but, this is the Chiang Rai forum...

Chiang Rai is one of my favorite cities in the World. Just when you are getting bored with temples, you will see some new ones, that are super intense. IMO, best noodles in Thailand. Overall, there is better value in Chiang Mai, but it is certainly a lot easier to get across the street in Chiang Rai. Cooler in the hot season, too. Lots o' wats; tasty noodles and strolling across the street on a cool day... ahhh, paradise. Yes, I see your point...

There are few bars in Jetyod (I think that's how it spelled, or something similar) road and one in particular call Cat Bar which has a few instruments in and the owner plays guitar and anyone else is welcome to join in with a song or playing an instrument, and it all makes for a very entertaining evening. Yes, Phil! And we did spend some extra time (and a few baht) opposite Cat Bar, at Dog Bar, too. Met very nice folks down there at Cocoanuts and the superb Peace Bar...

I know this is gonna sound bad, especially after we named that one bar The House of Disappointment. But, somebody came up with the translation of the word, Jedyod... it seems to mean: Pain & Drain Lane or something to that effect...

The bars are nothing like that in Pattaya and I believe there are only a handful of bars where there are girls dancing around, ready to entertain. Agreed, 1,000%. And actually, one night I saw my friend get shot down 4 times in about 2 hours of really polite (and expensive!) sweet talk, drinking, laughing... etc. Four times! At bars! Yup... not at all like Pattaya/Jomtien. (Dancing girls...? Whaaaa dancing girls...?)

The white wat is well worth a visit and is absolutely stunning. Sorry, by I can't talk about the white wat directly after after the dancing girls... sorry.

I like the place, lovely people, laid-back pace and cleaner than many similar "cities" in Thailand. Don't forget it does get cold/cool night-times between now and the next few months, so jeans and long sleeve shirts may well be on the cards. On the nose. In our time there, we met a bunch of really great people, both farang & Thai. It was quite clean, and jeans & a light jacket in the evenings were just right... thanks.

Well, it looks like the options for fun in Chiang Rai are limited. To conclude, fun is what you make it to be!!!!!!

''I was thinking of adding the silkworm to a bottle of Sangsom, the way the Mexicans add the worm to the Tequila''. Ok, Jommie, who actually goes first with this brilliant idea? You then, hmmmm...?

Re the tea plantations. They do grow other aromatic stuff in the mountains. Geez, why didn't I think of that...?

Re Cat's Bar, check out the main counter. It is an awesome piece of timber. About 3 metres long, 0,6 metres wide, and 150mm thick, all in one piece. Yes, saw it (with my eyes!)! And, maybe you'll find this one funny- one night we were actually in Cat Bar and, at one point, we heard a man's voice yelling, "Wood! I have wood!!" It turned out just to be the owner on the telephone, with a bad connection, who'd been asked, "Do you have a cement & tile, or a wood bar...?" Nice bar, anyway...

Ah, CR is not the most somnolent and quiescent backwater that the locals try to make it out to be. Hang on, I didn't hear one person use the words somnolent and quiescent while in Chiang Rai. Are you sure about that...? (Anyways, wuzzat mean, krap...?)

OP, you do know that it is common wisdom in Thailand, among Thais, that Chiang Rai has the most beautiful women in all the Kingdom, bar none? My Aussie friends have read your comment and think you're off your rocker... but probably a real nice guy.

And who am I to disagree with that. I dunno... Stevie Wonder? (Aussie humour, sorry!)

I understand that CR has one remaining hooker from the exciting days of yore. She is 86 years old and is proud of her title of 'Only Hooker in CR". I believe her regular clientele consists of two older gentlemen, one 87 years old and the other 92. The 87 year old generally falls asleep before the business is finished and the 92 year old generally forgets where he was going and never shows up when he heads her way. Recently, she announced to the 87 year old that, today, he was going to have super sex. He thought long and hard before finally answering, "I guess I'll have the soup".

Younger out-of-town guys are steered in her direction when they arrive and ask "those" kinds of questions. Not much gets done in those deals either, because she always insists on knitting a scarf for them when they show up in tank tops and shorts.

Recently, one young man demanded that she perform a sex act. She said "okay" and poked him in the eye with a knitting needle and then asked him "What am I?". When he answered that he didn't know, she told him, "I'm acting like a dick".

She is currently training a few younger women to take over after she has left this world. The training is slow. So far, they are still in the stage of spinning the yarn. They are required to know the basics before they can move up to the next level, which is selecting the right guy to extend his hands so they can wrap the yarn around his hands in preparation for the next step. Tough learning. Especially for him. Actually, we met her, but believe it or not, she didn't feel either of the Aussies's were her type! Speaks very highly of you, though, Kandy... says you're cute... and a big dipper tipper... But, Kandy man, wow! You been up in the mountains again...?

Seriously, folks: we three Pattaya guys had a really good time in Chiang Rai. We are now good examples of travelers who ought to read about where they are going before they go, so that they can enjoy the individual pleasures, whatever they are, that are particular to that area. Every place is different, and we can all have fun talking, comparing & joking about those differences... before we decide which place we wanna live in... and which places we wanna visit.

Thank you, Chiang Rai!!!!

:wai:

Quote: "Speaks very highly of you, though, Kandy... says you're cute."

I think you misunderstood her. She has NEVER said I was cute but always insisted that I was handsome.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Just don't tell anyone else that it is good up here. It is a secret.

Edited by kandahar

Seriously, folks: we three Pattaya guys had a really good time in Chiang Rai. We are now good examples of travelers who ought to read about where they are going before they go, so that they can enjoy the individual pleasures, whatever they are, that are particular to that area. Every place is different, and we can all have fun talking, comparing & joking about those differences... before we decide which place we wanna live in... and which places we wanna visit.

Thank you, Chiang Rai!!!!

:wai:

Well written and informative post.:jap:

Well written and informative post.:jap:

Thanks a lot, Khun Scorp; it was fun for me. If you know Jedyod, can you guess which bar we informally re-named, The House of Disappointment...?

Sorry, I don't drink (no morale objection, it just doesn't agree with me) so I usually only pass through there on my MC on the way to the Night Bazaar,etc. I would be curious, if you would care to PM me. Again, good read.B) Edited by scorpio1945

Glad you enjoyed your trip mate. I think I've had the misfortune to have had a few drinks (too many) at the unnamed Bar.

Yes, they are good at plying one for drinks. I dont mind every couple of months or so. And having a couple of lesbians plying me for drinks keeps me out of trouble too :D

Oh, I don't really knit mate, thats just a front I use . It fools no one unfortunately :(

Eh, fella. Don't be a stranger ;)

Great post, Michaelaway!

Well, thanks a lot McG! But, now that you all have gotten us 3 guys to appreciate your Northern paradise/neck of the woods...

when are all you cool Chiang Rai dudes...

gonna come down East to the Pattaya/Jomtien area...

so we can show you...

how we have fun...?

PS- Sorry, not so many temples; potlucks; knitting groups or 80-year old free-lancers here... so be prepared for alternative pursuits (again, don't get me started...)!

All are (Hello,) Welcome!

-Michael(no longer)away

B)

Great post, Michaelaway!

Well, thanks a lot McG! But, now that you all have gotten us 3 guys to appreciate your Northern paradise/neck of the woods...

so we can show you...

how we have fun...?

PS- Sorry, not so many temples; potlucks; knitting groups or 80-year old free-lancers here... so be prepared for alternative pursuits (again, don't get me started...)!

-Michael(no longer)away

B)

Hey mike...it's friday night which means the Peace Bar will be rocking....we'll have a cool one and a hot one in your honor....then kangaroo bar on sunday.....no rest for the weary...

Great post, Michaelaway!

so we can show you...

how we have fun...?

-Michael(no longer)away

B)

In April, I have a stag night/weekend (mine) in the offing. I'll be in Bangkok from the 23rd (ish) and there'll be a good few folks flying in from different parts of the world, one of whom insists that Pattaya just has to be the place for it. I'm umming and ahhing about it at the moment :)

Hey mike...it's friday night which means the Peace Bar will be rocking....we'll have a cool one and a hot one in your honor....then kangaroo bar on sunday.....no rest for the weary...

Hey, Pomchop! That's: .....no rest for the weary bleary... isn't it?

Anyway: dude, where's my car...? If I leave now... (all I really can say is that I know that hanging out with everybody on a Friday night, with a live Reggae band, would be... well... memorable, for lack of a better word).

My pal Herb (ironic is definitely the appropriate word in this case, chai mai?) told me about The Peace Bar and... whoa, hey & yippee ka yay! (ok, make that: geez, whoa & i don't know!) Yeah, I went on down Jedyod; down the road that far for the first time. Yeah, I ambled in... and yeah, ok- I had no trouble at all (based on past experience, I guess) communicating with the 2 dreadlocked staff who I encountered right away. So, I just said hello, ordered my usual, Sangsom & Sprite with nam kang yeu yeu (if James Bond was Thai, I feel 90% certain that's what he'd drink...) and upon receipt, continued my (pre-planned) amble back, deeper into the bar... towards the garden.

"...The garden at The Peace Bar is a Chiang Rai evening experience everyone who ever went to college, or backpacking, or worked for their government would understand and appreciate... it's very high on my list of fun things to do in Chiang Rai." Arthur Froamer (or maybe Frank Zappa... I can't remember...)

From my one and only evening spent there, I can only say that the drinks all tasted great and the garden was rustic, artistic and warmly-lit at night, with comfortable seating around long, low coffee tables. The night I was there, the group of people I sat with were all pleasant & welcoming when I arrived. (Come to think of it... they were really happy by the time I left...) It turned out the men were from Thailand, Japan, Australia & America. The ladies present hailed from Thailand, America, England, Holland & one particularly interesting lady was 1/2 Thai & 1/2 Aussie teacher from Chiang Rai... perhaps you know her... Anyway, everyone sat around and spoke English together and a warm, happy & fascinating conversation ensued. The music was really good, too, but I did hear that Friday night's there are something special... ranging upwards to somewhat off the hook!

B)

She is currently training a few younger women to take over after she has left this world. The training is slow. So far, they are still in the stage of spinning the yarn. They are required to know the basics before they can move up to the next level, which is selecting the right guy to extend his hands so they can wrap the yarn around his hands in preparation for the next step. Tough learning. Especially for him.

LOL :jap: