We Wil Help Red-Shirt Detainees To Get Bail: PM Abhisit

webfact

[

Abhisit is not doing this for altruistic reasons.

Maybe yes, maybe no. So what? If he does nothing I'm sure you can give another fine description for his reasons.

Next.

Well, Thaksin is not doing it for any reasons, and he is the major reason they are in there in the first place. They were just tools to be used by him. Wonder what they think about him now...Would be an interesting interview.

The big picture is that the government had a plan and implemented it successfully. The plan was to seize and freeze financial assets. It worked. The lack of money has crippled the Redshirt movement, This cannot be denied. The government achieved its victory in this specific battle through non violent methods. One can argue over the legalities and morality of the freeze and seize strategy, but the strategy was an acceptable one.

Obsessing over bail money, is precisely what the government expects the simpleminded to do. It was a move that has been lifted from the pages of the EU and USA strategies on combating organized crime and terrorism. Give credit where credit is due by recognizing that. The question now, is who mapped out the strategy? Identify the person who oversaw the plan and you will identify the seat of power in Thailand. I don't think it was Korn or Abhisit, but one very sharp and brilliant strategist somewhere in the government that assembled a team with a thorough knowledge of Thailand's financial system. The strategy shut off every tap. Even, the drips from the leaky faucets were not enough to soothe the parched lips of the Redshirts. Without money, the Redshirts cannot be effective. The next move then will be from the Redshirts and how they will raise funds in Thailand. Will some rogue members turn to crime much as other groups have done, or will there be more violent civil unrest? The government has bought itself some time. The question then is what will be done during this quiet time? Tick tock, the clock is running.

The big picture is that the government had a plan and implemented it successfully. The plan was to seize and freeze financial assets. It worked. The lack of money has crippled the Redshirt movement, This cannot be denied. The government achieved its victory in this specific battle through non violent methods. One can argue over the legalities and morality of the freeze and seize strategy, but the strategy was an acceptable one.

Obsessing over bail money, is precisely what the government expects the simpleminded to do. It was a move that has been lifted from the pages of the EU and USA strategies on combating organized crime and terrorism. Give credit where credit is due by recognizing that. The question now, is who mapped out the strategy? Identify the person who oversaw the plan and you will identify the seat of power in Thailand. I don't think it was Korn or Abhisit, but one very sharp and brilliant strategist somewhere in the government that assembled a team with a thorough knowledge of Thailand's financial system. The strategy shut off every tap. Even, the drips from the leaky faucets were not enough to soothe the parched lips of the Redshirts. Without money, the Redshirts cannot be effective. The next move then will be from the Redshirts and how they will raise funds in Thailand. Will some rogue members turn to crime much as other groups have done, or will there be more violent civil unrest? The government has bought itself some time. The question then is what will be done during this quiet time? Tick tock, the clock is running.

First let me say this post absolves the old kid from the 'mishap' in #6, what's true is true :) Doesn't mean I totally agree though.

I'm not convinced that 'Obsessing over bail money' is what the government expects, nor what people do. It's just one aspect of money and need of money in/at the UDD / red-shirt cause. Also 'seat of power' at the person who oversaw the plan ? In most countries the PM is the first amongst equals, but hardly the smartest of them all. Not really necessary either, he needs to know how to use the resources he can command.

The red-shirt movement already has indicated members could become violent. Not a reason to give in I'd say. The real activists, NGO's, etc. do without a well-funded structure and don't have a billionair backer, and still manage to fulfill the hornet's function, stinging the government without needing violent activities.

The OP said 'We will help red-shirt detainees to get bail, PM Abhisit'. As others remarked millions have been offered to bail out UDD leaders incarcerated. Assuming those millions haven't disappeared, maybe they can be used for those poor red-shirts without connections or without knowing important people ? Why give the government another chance to show clemency and compassion ?

(ADD: and why use my tax money again?)

Edited by rubl

I think the strategy has Korn written all over it. Very clever and well implemented.

The big picture is that the government had a plan and implemented it successfully. The plan was to seize and freeze financial assets. It worked. The lack of money has crippled the Redshirt movement, This cannot be denied.

Sure it can, because it didn't cripple the Red Shirts. No money was seized, only frozen. Those assets were only tied up from June 2010 to the first week in August when they released to their owners. Those monies have been available to them for over 3 months.

The next move then will be from the Redshirts and how they will raise funds in Thailand.

I imagine they'll have no difficulty obtaining funds from some of the millionaire Reds.

I think the strategy has Korn written all over it. Very clever and well implemented.

While Korn is clever, the whole "strategy" never occurred as the notion collapses on itself from misinformation.

Isn't it too late. 6 months in jail already. If those people were to be convicted, they will probable be jail for 30 to 60 days. But they have already serves more than 180 days already even though they have not be convicted. No wonder Thai people always say the Dem are very slow and indecisive. Especially Chuan himself.

The thought that i pay TAX to thailand to provide bail for red shirt terrorists is abhorent - leave the criminals to jolly well rot!! and their issan families too!!