Help! Dental Emergency

fallguyy

My fiancee called to say she has been to Grace Dental and had exrays and consultation and told she needs 2 teeth removed. They recomend 2 Porcelain implants that will cost 130,000 bht. Or have 4 teeth removed to have a bridge that is cheaper, (not recomended) I read your Dentist links. Just want to know does 130,000 sound reasonable? And has anyone had serious dental work like implants done there or anywhere else? Dont mind spending a bit more for quality. Is this price reasonable, not sure what it would cost in the states. Do they take credit cards over the phone, or in person.

I will try to fly there in the next 2 days if I can. She returns monday for the decision. Any quick insight would be appreciated. Thanks

in any situation like this where expensive treatment is suggested , the first and prudent action should be to get a second and maybe a third opinion from different dentists.

take the x rays from the grace with you. they should give you them.

why do two teeth need removing ?

why cant the teeth be saved ?

if she is not in any acute pain then why the need for a quick decision ?

if she is in acute pain then ask the dentist to relieve the pain , and then you have got time to think before making your decisions.

the prices seem about right , maybe a little on the high side , but you dont know exactly what is involved or which teeth they are.

My fiancee called to say she has been to Grace Dental and had exrays and consultation and told she needs 2 teeth removed. They recomend 2 Porcelain implants that will cost 130,000 bht. Or have 4 teeth removed to have a bridge that is cheaper, (not recomended)  I read your Dentist links. Just want to know does 130,000 sound reasonable? And has anyone had serious dental work like implants done there or anywhere else? Dont mind spending a bit more for quality. Is this price reasonable, not sure what it would cost in the states. Do they take credit cards over the phone, or in person.

I will try to fly there in the next 2 days if I can. She returns monday for the decision. Any quick insight would be appreciated.  Thanks

Even an emergency surgery in stomch will not cost 130,000 baht in total ?. Better check. :o

There is Hospital by name Mission, most doctors speak English and charge resonable price.

Mission Hospital-Bangkok

Christian Medical Foundation of Seventh-day adventists

430 Pitsanuloke Road,

Dusit,

Bangkok

Bangkok - 10300

Phone : 02282100

It is near Express way entry when you go from Kaosanroad to Pechaburi road. For taxi tell "Ban MMichan Krap" .

Implants are definitely the most expensive way to do, but Grace is the place if your going to do that.

If your going to be in Thailand in the forseeable futrure, I would tell your girlfriend to get pain relieve or temporary work done and await your arrival.

Get involved in the pricing and decision making, as Dr. Korakot (daughters name is Grace) speaks superb English and will explain all options, including money saving ones as well.

Many Thais are so compliant when dealing with "high class professionals" that they usually don't ask the right questions. Your girl friend may be intimidated by the process and your help would be needed and appreciated. After all, you are paying for it, so satisfy yourself that the money is well spent (and only at the dentist).

It seems to me that the advertised price at Bangkok dental clinics that I have seen recently have been in the 39-49,000 baht range. But don't know the advertisers are not using the Air Asia model and when you buy get hit with other charges; but suspect the market is more competitive in the big city.

Strongly echo others suggestion to get another opinion or two. This is very serious money here (more than a years pay for many people).

Mate of mine got a quote of 550000 Baht for 11 implants and new teeth at a dentist surgery in Udon. He neerly colapsed. We thought the dentist was taking the p### so we went to the police' who took him around 4 other hospitals and dentist shops. The quotes were all about the same.

Thanks for alll the replies. I got a little more info, now on the situation. She actually has temp. "plastic" for 2 teeth she lost in an accident a while back, she went to that clinic to check before she relocates to the states when our visa comes through. That is when theyt said 2 porcelain implants would be 130,000 bht. I misunderstood her at first,...sooo...I am telling her to go ahead and consult with them again but that we should look at other places

From what I saw the other main place that does that kind extensive work is the University dental clinic, is that correct? anybody know of any other good clinics that do that work? Thanks,,,

which two teeth did she lose ? and how many months ago ?

were they uppers or lowers?

incisors , premolars or molars ?

were they physically knocked out as a result of the accident or were they damaged beyond repair and subsuquently extracted ?

I'm a Grace fan as well, but if you want to compare costs, you could check out the Fortune Dental Clinics as well (although their price list quotes implants with crown @ 60,000 baht):

http://www.fortunedentalclinic-thailand.com/index.htm

Beyond that, if I were you, I'd put together a list from the various dental treatment threads that there have been on this sub-forum.

I have been to 3 dentists in Chiang Mai. The 1st two were disasters. Chiang Mai Ram hospital dental clinic broke a toll off inside a root canal. Left it there and said nothing. I went to another on suthep road, whoasked me if ram had said anything to me after the root canal. I said no, so he also said nothing. After finally having Grace dental open I went there. They immediately told me about the tool inside the tooth. It was very apparent on the x-rays. That said, Grace has the most up to date procedures and techniques I have seen in Chiang Mai. They have some of the best of the best Doctors. They use a team approach to dental care and often have a few dentists in the room together discussing a plan or procedure. I have not found their prices higher then other dental clinics in town and their service I find way above any I have heard of or used.

I have been to 3 dentists in Chiang Mai. The 1st two were disasters. Chiang Mai Ram hospital dental clinic broke a toll off inside a root canal. Left it there and said nothing. I went to another on suthep road, whoasked me if ram had said anything to me after  the root canal. I said no, so he also said nothing. After finally having Grace dental open I went there. They immediately told me about the tool inside the tooth. It was very apparent on the x-rays. That said, Grace has the most up to date procedures and techniques I have seen in Chiang Mai. They have some of the best of the best Doctors. They use a team approach to dental care and often have a few dentists in the room together discussing a plan or procedure. I have not found their prices higher then other dental clinics in town and their service I find way above any I have heard of or used.

what address grace dental please

At Kitcha Clinic on Chang Loh Rd, my wife had a similar procedure done on three teeth, with very good results, for about half what Grace is quoting. I've had work done at both Grace and at Kitcha. For me, Kitcha is better value. In my opinion the main reason Grace is so popular with farangs is because everyone speaks English there, secondly it is arrayed very impressively. Both of the dentists at Kitcha graduated abroad and now teach dentistry and oral surgery at CMU, so they're as up to date as anyone in Chiang Mai. There clinic is small but clean and well run. The doctors speak English though dental assistants and desk staff aren't as well-versed in English.

My fiancee called to say she has been to Grace Dental and had exrays and consultation and told she needs 2 teeth removed. They recomend 2 Porcelain implants that will cost 130,000 bht. Or have 4 teeth removed to have a bridge that is cheaper, (not recomended)  I read your Dentist links. Just want to know does 130,000 sound reasonable? And has anyone had serious dental work like implants done there or anywhere else? Dont mind spending a bit more for quality. Is this price reasonable, not sure what it would cost in the states. Do they take credit cards over the phone, or in person.

I will try to fly there in the next 2 days if I can. She returns monday for the decision. Any quick insight would be appreciated.  Thanks

"At Kitcha Clinic on Chang Loh Rd"

I second the other poster on this thread. Have used them for the last 2 years. Ask for Dr Suprachai. Good guy, speaks passable english, and really tries to help.

Tooth replacement by implant consists of three parts -- the implant screw that goes in the bone, the abutment that fits on the screw and the porcelain-on-metal crown that fits on the abutment; 65,000 baht per tooth is a common all-in price for implants in Thailand. So far as I can gather, fees range from about 60,000 to 75,000 baht depending on the clinic and type of implant used. Quotes that are much less are probably for just the implant screw, not the complete replacement.

Note that several months can be required to complete the process.

In any event, implants are not simple and should be done by a dentist with good experience in the procedure.

Make sure you talk with the dentist about the long-term prognosis of the implant, including the likelihood of having to replace the crown after ten years or so.

There have been some great replies so far and some good questions.

Just a few additional points. A dental implant is one possible final cosmetic part of dealing with a missing tooth. There is nothing "emergency" about this. In many cases it can be done months or even years after a tooth is removed. So no need to panic about getting this part done.

As pointed out earlier first determine if there is not an alternative to removing the tooth. Many years ago I needlessly had a tooth removed because I had an unfounded fear of root canal. Big mistake. The tooth removal process was quite a nightmare. Since then I have had several successful and even pleasant root canal procedures.

In your girlfriend's case it sounds like the teeth are already gone, so no choice there. In my case my missing tooth is an upper just behind the canine and so is visable only with a big smile. For me as a guy this is no big deal. I have no intention of grinding down 2 good teeth for a bridge and also am not keen on having a hole drilled in my jawbone for an implant screw to go in. I also could not be bothered with a removable tooth that kind of hooks in there, though I knew a young Thai lady who had this and she was quite comfortable with it. This is probably the least expensive and least invasive answer short of ignoring it like I do (and maybe what your girlfriend has thus far been using).

Dentists tend to warn that if you do nothing that your other teeth may start to adjust to fill in the gap or that you may tend to chew differently in a way that will affect your allignment. Maybe in some cases this is true. I am no expert. I will say however that for me this has not yet happened and this tooth came out 16 years ago.

You and your girlfriend need to carefully consider over a period of perhaps some weeks what final cosmetic choice is most comfortable. Don't rush it unless this part really is an emergency and I can not imagine how it could be.

A note on the cost. Implants are an expensive option anywhere in the world and much more so in western countries. When it is done in Thailand the majority of the cost is going to pay the foriegn lab that is providing the implant components. I believe the most expensive part is the titanium screw. After that it is what you choose as the "tooth" material.

If you decide to go this route look very carefully at anything that is significantly less cost than what Grace is quoting. With all respect and deference to Sabaijai I can not see how actual quality implant work can be done for half of what Grace is quoting as most of the cost is in the materials. Though he did say "similar procedure" (though not sure what that could be). Or maybe he thought you meant 130,000 per tooth instead of the cost for both. Or maybe Kitcha has found some good lab from China or somewhere. Don't know.

Anyway for me I usually try to avoid any sort of invasive procedure in any kind of health care. Think about it. Maybe there is a better quality version of what your girlfriend has thus far been using. As already stated get a few competant opinions.