Size 41 Shoes

gregb

Hi girls,

My mother is in town for a few weeks, and has been severely disappointed at the range of footwear that is available. I have to admit the shoes she brought with her are in very sad shape. She was low on luggage space after bringing over all my gifts, and thought she could simply purchase shoes over here. That was a big mistake.

I am looking for a shop for her that sells shoes larger than a size 40. She's between a 41 and 42. I sent her down to Paragon today, but she couldn't find anything there. They had some, but in her words they were clearly "gawdy and made for women who enjoy walking in 6" heels."

Do any of you have advice for her? She's 67, so looking for something fairly conservative and flat.

awww Im a Thai that wear size 40 and very slim flat feet lol. i completely understand ur problem . not sure if ur mum planing to go to Phuket or not but i find that the mall there, Jangcylon has things in western size more than malls in bkk. Buying shoes my size (not the super high heel one) in bkk is like finding a needle in the in sea ..

good luck

There is a shop in JJ Mall(next to Chatuchak markets) that not only sells clothing for the larger sizes but also sells shoes up to about size 50.It is located at the bottom of the escalator area going up to the 2nd floor from the promotion and it is open every day.Styles and shapes vary but I was there today and saw they had quite a few low heeled shoes available.

I'm size 41 and live in BK. Finding shoes is an absolute nightmare.

The best bets are:

- Next  in Central World (don't know if they've reopened but I've even found size 42 shoes in there in the past). Other Western clothes retailers, e.g. Zara also sometimes stock larger sizes

- There are several shops in and around Pratunam that cater to ladyboys and have large sizes. Some of the shoes are very garish but they also have normal ones too.

I'm definitely going to check out JJ mall that the poster above mentioned - exciting that I may have a 3rd option and not have to do my shoe shopping on an annual basis when I'm in the EU!!

Well, I'm a 41/42 but have to buy a 44 in Thai shoes weirdly enough.

There is a shop in the basement level at Century Plaza (Victory Monument BTS - sorry forgot the name of the shop but will try and dig out there card) that I stumbled across that had sizes up to 46 (eek!!!). They cost about 400฿ per pair and have pretty conservative styles.

There is also 2 shops in the Union Mall (Phahon Yothin MRT). I think it's on the level if you take the walkway from the MRT to the mall. Both shops are called "Maximum by Jayne". They have a smaller selection than the shop at Century Plaza and more expensive (600฿ per pair). There is also another shop on the floor above, near the Bank of Ayudhya, that have a really nice /small/ selection of larger size shoes. However, these have always been to narrow for me.

Also, New Look in the UK are now posting internationally and they go up to a size 42.

I'm size 41 and live in BK. Finding shoes is an absolute nightmare.

The best bets are:

- Next in Central World (don't know if they've reopened but I've even found size 42 shoes in there in the past). Other Western clothes retailers, e.g. Zara also sometimes stock larger sizes

- There are several shops in and around Pratunam that cater to ladyboys and have large sizes. Some of the shoes are very garish but they also have normal ones too.

I'm definitely going to check out JJ mall that the poster above mentioned - exciting that I may have a 3rd option and not have to do my shoe shopping on an annual basis when I'm in the EU!!

I can't really figure sizes out here, mostly I wear a size 40 but at home in the US I am a size 8 --yes the humidity does make the feet swell a bit, but I wonder if a size 40 is really a size 8 1/2 since an online converter tells me that a size 8 US is a size 38 1/2 in Europe!

I can't really figure sizes out here, mostly I wear a size 40 but at home in the US I am a size 8 --yes the humidity does make the feet swell a bit, but I wonder if a size 40 is really a size 8 1/2 since an online converter tells me that a size 8 US is a size 38 1/2 in Europe!

Yup, I'm an 8.5 size and wear size 40 or 41 here. My fav shoes in the world are red aerosoft that I've now bought 4 times in Thailand for 200 baht each time. They have great arch support and are available in almost all the 'real' shoe shops (ie.not the 199 baht shoe shops that stop at size 39 or 40). Wearing every single day they last about a year each! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm a 41/42 but have to buy a 44 in Thai shoes weirdly enough.

There is a shop in the basement level at Century Plaza (Victory Monument BTS - sorry forgot the name of the shop but will try and dig out there card) that I stumbled across that had sizes up to 46 (eek!!!). They cost about 400฿ per pair and have pretty conservative styles.

There is also 2 shops in the Union Mall (Phahon Yothin MRT). I think it's on the level if you take the walkway from the MRT to the mall. Both shops are called "Maximum by Jayne". They have a smaller selection than the shop at Century Plaza and more expensive (600฿ per pair). There is also another shop on the floor above, near the Bank of Ayudhya, that have a really nice /small/ selection of larger size shoes. However, these have always been to narrow for me.

Also, New Look in the UK are now posting internationally and they go up to a size 42.

There's also a shop called 'Maximum by Jayne' in the One Mall (the single story mall right outside Central Mall Lad Prao, over the foot bridge from the MRT) which has larger sizes that's been there for years (it's still there, I happened to cut through there on my way to the MRT this evening) with large size clothes and shoes but the selection is (and always has been) a bit drab. I couldn't find the same shop(s) in the Union Mall when I looked last week on either level but it is a bit of a maze in there so if you have any more specific directions please let me know. I couldn't find the Ayudhya bank (or shop near it) either but I might have been looking on the wrong level(s)

Wow guys, this is all really useful info. I've been looking for a pair of shoes for months! I'm gonna try out all the places listed above.

And sawatdeeyesitsme thank you so much for telling me that New Look delivers internationally, that's like my favorite shop in the world and I had no idea!!! :)

• 1 month later...

I'm so happy I found this topic.

The last couple of weeks I'm trying to find shoes with size 40 or above but it is soo difficult. It gets me frustrated.

Normally I wear size 40, but in Thailand I need size 41 I think.

This evening I actually tried on size 40 of men shoes and I must say, the fit perfectly. However, they looked horrible.

I'm also looking for conservative and flat shoes (although not too conservative) and also with a reasonale price (around 500 -1000 bath).

I'm gonna take a look at the shops mentioned above. If you guys have more information about this topic, please write in down :)

I was thinking about this, I wear a 40 and generally don't have too much trouble finding shoes but anything over that is not so easy. There is a store in Platinum, can't recall the floor, not the top shoe floor but maybe 2nd or 3rd floor, right next to a set of escalators (I think the first set but again not sure) that advertises bigger sized shoes. I am sure they had over 41.

Alternatively, ask the ladyboys where they buy their shoes, some of them are quite fashionable.

I was thinking about this, I wear a 40 and generally don't have too much trouble finding shoes but anything over that is not so easy. There is a store in Platinum, can't recall the floor, not the top shoe floor but maybe 2nd or 3rd floor, right next to a set of escalators (I think the first set but again not sure) that advertises bigger sized shoes. I am sure they had over 41.

Alternatively, ask the ladyboys where they buy their shoes, some of them are quite fashionable.

This is correct, there is a shop in Platinum that specializes in larger sized shoes. My wife loves shoes but she wears a size 41 and has a hard time getting them. Also you can occasionaly find nice ones at Footworks in MBK but Footworks tends to be a bit on the pricey side and the selection is aimed more at women from say 20's to 40's. Good luck I hope she finds some.

• 3 weeks later...

There's also a shop called 'Maximum by Jayne' in the One Mall (the single story mall right outside Central Mall Lad Prao, over the foot bridge from the MRT) which has larger sizes that's been there for years (it's still there, I happened to cut through there on my way to the MRT this evening) with large size clothes and shoes but the selection is (and always has been) a bit drab. I couldn't find the same shop(s) in the Union Mall when I looked last week on either level but it is a bit of a maze in there so if you have any more specific directions please let me know. I couldn't find the Ayudhya bank (or shop near it) either but I might have been looking on the wrong level(s)

Yes, Maximum by Jayne has a shop in the One Mall and then 2 shops in Union Mall. I find Union Mall a bit of a maze as well with no real points of reference, so not sure if my directions will be any good! To get to one of the concessions in Union Mall, if you are entering from the walkway from the MRT and you enter the actual mall where the ice cream stall is: turn right and head towards the back of the mall (think there is a bookshop at the back). The Maximum by Jayne shop is one of the end units near the bookshop.

The other shoe shop is located on the floor above the Maximum by Jayne shop. You need to find the set of escalators located at the opposite end of the row that the Maximum by Jayne shop is located on. If you take that escalator head towards the units on the right. The shop is one of the end units nearest to the escalators (maybe 2nd or 3rd end unit from the left). Last time I was in Bangkok (December), they had a great range of shoes. Ayudhya bank is at the opposite end of that row at the back.

Good luck!

Yes, Maximum by Jayne has a shop in the One Mall and then 2 shops in Union Mall. I find Union Mall a bit of a maze as well with no real points of reference, so not sure if my directions will be any good! To get to one of the concessions in Union Mall, if you are entering from the walkway from the MRT and you enter the actual mall where the ice cream stall is: turn right and head towards the back of the mall (think there is a bookshop at the back). The Maximum by Jayne shop is one of the end units near the bookshop.

The other shoe shop is located on the floor above the Maximum by Jayne shop. You need to find the set of escalators located at the opposite end of the row that the Maximum by Jayne shop is located on. If you take that escalator head towards the units on the right. The shop is one of the end units nearest to the escalators (maybe 2nd or 3rd end unit from the left). Last time I was in Bangkok (December), they had a great range of shoes. Ayudhya bank is at the opposite end of that row at the back.

Good luck!

Thanks! I had a look today and your directions were spot on. The shoe place on the upper level has lots of shoes in sizes 40-45 (!) and has a good selection of flat shoes, ballerina pumps and low heeled 'proper' shoes (i.e the sort you'd wear for work). I'm still searching for somewhere that sells nice high heeled strappy sandals though...

I have found a few more places:

On the walkway on the way into Union Mall from the MRT there is a place (~5th shop on the left as you enter) that has some similar low heeled/flat shoes in size 41 and 42.

Charles and Keith (lovely, lovely shoes) occasionally have 41s in their shops but you have to ask for them - persist if you're told 'no' and speak to the manager: they do have them but in limited styles, usually only flat shoes. They had an outlet shop in Central Ladprao which had lots of 41s and being an outlet shop was great - shoes were generally 50-75% off so around 1000B a pair - expensive but they're good quality stylish leather shoes and they last. And Ladprao used to have lots of nice high heels/strappy sandals. Unfortunately this has now closed for refurbishment but they said they'd be reopening when the Mall reopens in October. I work near there so will update this thread when it reopens.

In Silom Village there is a place called Nine Silk Lines (google it) who do exquisite silk/beaded/embroidered shoes made to order at about 800B a pair and they also still have a stall at JJ (where they started)

I still need to check out the place near Victory Monument and one of my Thai colleagues has a ladyboy that works in her hairdressers so she's going to ask them where they get shoes from when she's next there (she's a big size 40 and equally frustrated by the lack of shoe choice available - it's not only a farang problem!)

Thanks! I had a look today and your directions were spot on.

I still need to check out the place near Victory Monument and one of my Thai colleagues has a ladyboy that works in her hairdressers so she's going to ask them where they get shoes from when she's next there (she's a big size 40 and equally frustrated by the lack of shoe choice available - it's not only a farang problem!)

Yay! Sorry it took me so long to reply with the directions but glad you managed to find it :) Definitely check out the shop at the mall near Victory Monument. If I recall correctly I'm sure that they had strappy sandals.

I'm heading to BKK next month on a shoe shopping expedition, so thanks for the tips about the other places.

• 1 month later...