It's Time For Thailand To End State Homophobia

webfact

EDITORIAL

It's time for Thailand to end state homophobia

By The Nation

The country's refusal to support UN resolution on non-discrimination regardless of sexual orientation leaves us rooted in the dark ages

Today is the International Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day set for recalling the loss of transgender lives due to prejudice and hatred.

Although physical violence against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders (LGBTs) in Thailand is rare, the Thai state has not exactly been kind to them either.

In 1997, Rajabhat Institute announced a plan to reject students with "sexual deviancy". In 1999, the Department of Public Relations sent a memo to television channels instructing a ban on "sexual deviants". In 2004, a top official at the Ministry of Culture proposed getting rid of homosexuals from the media and government posts. In 2006, the Ministry of Defence branded transgender draftees as suffering from "permanent psychosis" in their military exemption documents known as Sor Dor 43.

Deputy Prime Minister Trairong Suwankhiri, therefore, followed a long tradition of state homophobia when he said approvingly in an interview about Thai-Chinese cultural cooperation that the Chinese government takes "special precautions" on its state-controlled media with the presence of homosexuals and transgenders, lest they be taken as examples by Chinese citizens. It would surprise no one if that particular meeting had actually endorsed a ban against gays and katoeys to satisfy the superpower.

It is understandable why Thailand wants to tap into China's financial reserves and its huge market. However, collaboration must not come at the expense of values we hold high as a sovereign democratic country. Lowering Thailand's human rights standard to suit a foreign nation's palate smacks of a lack of integrity at best and cultural wholesale at worst.

Banning homosexuals and transgenders is against Article 45 of the Constitution of Thailand, which guarantees freedom of expression including media freedom. More importantly, it runs counter to Article 30's prohibition against discrimination on the basis of sex, which includes differences in sexual identity or gender or sexual diversity, as explained in the Intentions of the Constitution.

State homophobia, as expressed by high-ranking politicians like Mr Trairong, creates an atmosphere in which local governments and non-state actors feel that oppression against LGBTs is acceptable. In 2008, when protesters shut down the Chiang Mai Gay Pride parade and threatened marchers with violence, the government failed to take action against government offices whose opposition to the event was used by protesters to justify violence. Now Chiang Mai's local authority feels so brazen as to arbitrarily ban transgenders from the processions during important government-sponsored festivities.

Internationally, Thailand has fared miserably in respect of LGBT rights. Hinting at appeasement of the Muslim world, Thailand in 2008 chose not to endorse a statement affirming the human rights principle of universality and non-discrimination regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity at the United Nations General Assembly, the UN's most important body. This week, when 79 countries voted to remove a reference to sexual orientation as a ground of protection in a UN resolution condemning extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Thailand again chose to sit on its hands rather than joining the 70 countries that opposed such a homophobic initiative. This is the only UN resolution with an explicit reference to sexual orientation.

Apart from clarifying its human rights position in the context of collaboration with China - cultural or otherwise - the Thai government must immediately end state homophobia and transphobia. As the LGBT community will be commemorating Human Rights Day for Sexual Diversity next week, the government should take this opportunity to make known its commitment on equal rights for Thai LGBTs, along the lines that PM Abhisit Vejjajiva promised during his campaign before the general election.

Thailand must adopt the Yogyakarta Principles on the application of international human rights standards in relation to sexual orientation and gender identity, as a guideline on how to implement human rights for Thai LGBTs. It should also take an example from Brazil's outgoing president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who in 2008 convened a national LGBT conference with attendance by representatives from all levels and branches of government, as well as the legislature.

If Thailand is ever to outgrow its prejudice against gays and transgenders, the government must start by ending the homophobia and transphobia it perpetrates itself.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-20

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't much care whether people like or dislike gays or other groups. I do mind when the gov't decides it's perfectly OK to treat any group of citizens with 2nd class citizenship.

In Thailand I have always found the tolerance of GLT's as being superficial. They are often considered a joke; they exist because it allows other groups to be higher upper in the hierarchy.

There is an inability in the country to actually look at a situation or a problem and acknowledge it exists. That is sad, but we are now seeing the true colors of Thailand.

I guess this gov't is singing the Mantra: "The UN isn't my father" as well.

A quote from the report " ...Deputy Prime Minister Trairong Suwankhiri, therefore, followed a long tradition of state homophobia when he said approvingly in an interview about Thai-Chinese cultural cooperation that the Chinese government takes "special precautions" on its state-controlled media with the presence of homosexuals and transgenders, lest they be taken as examples by Chinese citizens. It would surprise no one if that particular meeting had actually endorsed a ban against gays and katoeys to satisfy the superpower."

Obviously he has not been to Tiffany and Alcazar shows...there are literally BUSLOADS of Chinese tourists queuing to see the "sexual deviants". Please don't blame China for your own ills.

Everyone is equal in the eye's of the religious one, Buddha, Jesus, the good allah etc etc, so whats the problem , who freakin cares what people do ,there is to much interference by governments, thought police world wide, this is but one of many issues where they should butt out.

Many a time I have pointed out that the views held by key political decision makers have an impact upon the delivery of health services, only to be dismissed as being clueless or uninformed. Well, now some people have a sterling example of how personal views can make a difference when decisions are made. It not need even be at cabinet level, but can be a lone individual in his capacity as assistant deputy minister that decides whether or not a woman's health clinic is funded, or mental health care services are provided or if funding for services for at risk populations in rural areas will be granted. I often have the feeling that there is a mindset that if a situation is not acknowledged, that it can be avoided.

It's wonderful that foreign gays feel accepted in Pattaya, or Chiang Mai or other large urban centers. However, the views of Deputy Prime Minister Trairong Suwankhiri do matter and they are a reflection of many people, albeit a minority that permeates the decision making process. All it takes is one guy, and it is usually a middle aged guy, that can torpedo a well thought out plan by a Chief Medical Officer in a region. Thailand isn't alone in that issue as it also occurs in western countries. However, the Thai bureaucracy is such that without political influence, such positions are difficult to reverse. One need only look at the current abortion fiasco to understand what happens when political or personal views interfere with decisions that should be focused on health. Oh well, at least someone has spoken out. I have a dream that one day, adolescents in the poorest regions of Thailand will be able to access public health facilities where they will be treated by professionals that understand their needs and it will be in an environemt where they will not be discriminated against. When that occurs, we will see a real reversal of STIs, psychological crises and unsafe abortions.

welcome to chiland, do not have a nice gay - er sorry gay.

why do all of the school functions i go to have some of the boys being encouraged to co-ordinate the cheer leading, the "sexy" dances and all that. being praised by the teachers and students alike for expressing themselves with complete freedom, why do the schools let the boys roll over each other, with not even a by or leave from the teachers......... only to get out into the bigger society groups and have to hear crap like this form the government.

when will these old C**** just pass away and make way for the newer generation to take control. or will the young ones become so brainwashed by the time the old duffers die that they will hold the same antiquainted rules as are present now.

angry.gif

The old generation will continue to rule with their antiquated ways for a while. Just look at the movie censorship, it is positively Victorian & Barbara castle would be proud. In my early years in this country I watched the occasional beauty contest on TV & was astonished to see beautiful women made to wear their hair all in the same style, the one which many middle aged & elderly women have, done up in a bun on the top. When the camera panned over the judges one could see why.

Once women achieve better rights then the GLTs might stand a chance but even today women have far fewer rights than men.

Whereas some may think that Thailand has a broadminded approach to some froms of gender problems, the truth is there is nothing in law to protect these sort of minorities and as pointed out above if one civil serant decides to discriminate, there is little anyone can do to prevent it.

I have found that throughout Thailand there is great ignorance and prejudice about Gays especially - but transsexuals too have scant respect from many people too. The fact they are given "roles" in society does not mean they arre treated equitably

Edited by Deeral

why do all of the school functions i go to have some of the boys being encouraged to co-ordinate the cheer leading, the "sexy" dances and all that. being praised by the teachers and students alike for expressing themselves with complete freedom, why do the schools let the boys roll over each other, with not even a by or leave from the teachers......... only to get out into the bigger society groups and have to hear crap like this form the government.

when will these old C**** just pass away and make way for the newer generation to take control. or will the young ones become so brainwashed by the time the old duffers die that they will hold the same antiquainted rules as are present now.

angry.gif

Schools in some areas tend to "promote" the lady-boys - but only into pre-defined roles.

Just as girls might be encouraged to study domestic science more than boys.

Many parts of Thai culture accept - "the third gender" BUT....this does not mean there is necessarily an acceptance in the school for instance of those who are homosexual (both boys and girls)

in fact it seems to me that many young gay men in Thailand are encouraged to be "lady-boys" rather than normal gay people taking up normal roles in society.

Edited by Deeral

angry.gif

Schools in some areas tend to "promote" the lady-boys - but only into pre-defined roles.

Just as girls might be encouraged to study domestic science more than boys.

Many parts of Thai culture accept - "the third gender" BUT....this does not mean there is necessarily an acceptance in the school for instance of those who are homosexual (both boys and girls)

in fact it seems to me that many young gay men in Thailand are encouraged to be "lady-boys" rather than normal gay people taking up normal roles in society.

agree completely

In Thailand I have always found the tolerance of GLT's as being superficial. They are often considered a joke; they exist because it allows other groups to be higher upper in the hierarchy.

Isn't this - at best - true of almost every country on earth? In many places, there is no kind of tolerance at all.

Equal rights will take time, but isn't Thailand far ahead of most places when it comes to accepting homosexuality? Don't they deserve some credit for that?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Isn't this - at best - true of almost every country on earth? In many places, there is no kind of tolerance at all.

Equal rights will take time, but isn't Thailand far ahead of most places when it comes to accepting homosexuality? Don't they deserve some credit for that?

In short - No!

THe problem in Thailand is the extent of prejudice and probably more to the point the lack of measures, legal or otherwise - to redress the problems.Take for instance marriage or employment laws in EU and the States

All countries have homophobes and some may be worse than Thailand, but that does not obviate the need for reform in Thailand.

Everyone is equal in the eye's of the religious one, Buddha, Jesus, the good allah etc etc, so whats the problem , who freakin cares what people do ,there is to much interference by governments, thought police world wide, this is but one of many issues where they should butt out.

'Butt out'? funny in the context

Not sure about 'credit' as I don't think it's an institutional thing but cultural? Institutionally maybe they are behind (forgive pun) but Ulysses is right in that they are more 'accepted' here - go look at Central where you see schoolgirl Toms and their 'Girl Friends' parading along and kissing and of course ladyboys wherever you go wearing lipstick and wierd things like that - try doing that in 'farang land'!

So in that sense it's much more accepted here.

Homophobia is the fear of same sex relationships.

"Acceptance" of certain KINDS of same sex behaviour or transvestitism/transsexualism is NOT evidence of equitable treatment of these people as a whole.

It is a mistake often made by westerners who see ladyboys working in banks etc and "Toms and Dees" holding hands that it is acceptable in Thailand to be gay and that one is therefore not discriminated against.

Lesbianism (homosexual relationship between women) is usually quite acceptable in most western countries too. In fact it was the PREJUDICE of the Victorians that prevented it from becoming included in anti-homosexual legislation when lit was introduced under Queen Victoria

I notice with dismay that PM Abhisit says here is no need to change the law and that the police have embarked on a knee-jerk clampdown.

I is so saddening to see that this is the "best" sort of response one can expect from Thai authorities - they either haven't got a clue or just don't care.

Not actually. That is a common error in understanding of the meaning of the word, caused of course over confusion about the root word phobia. Of course phobia means fear, and homo means same (as in same sex), but the word HOMOPHOBIA has developed into a broader meaning than only fear. To wit --

ho·mo·pho·bia

noun \ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə\

Definition of HOMOPHOBIA

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Webster dictionary (American English)

"Acceptance" of certain KINDS of same sex behaviour or transvestitism/transsexualism is NOT evidence of equitable treatment of these people as a whole.

It is a mistake often made by westerners who see ladyboys working in banks etc and "Toms and Dees" holding hands that it is acceptable in Thailand to be gay and that one is therefore not discriminated against.

Lesbianism (homosexual relationship between women) is usually quite acceptable in most western countries too. In fact it was the PREJUDICE of the Victorians that prevented it from becoming included in anti-homosexual legislation when lit was introduced under Queen Victoria

Not sure I agree - in Western counteries legal redress is more institutionalised and accepted but not the blatant more 'public' displays you get here. So Thais are much more tolorant of kids walking hand-in-hand at Central - where they would not be tolorated (so much) in Western shopping malls but they dont have the legislative framework here to tackle discrimination - but this is not just the case for same sex lovers but for nearly every aspect of life here. Ageism - for instance or heightism or sex discrimination etc.

As said above - some people are applying their own cultural rules to being an indicator of "acceptance".

certainly in Morocco it is not unusual to see policemen holding hands - ...........

Kissing in public whatever the nature of the relationship is not acceptable in Thailand so as indicators these are unlikely to be reliable.

What the reality involves is how these people get work are treated in the eyes of the law and society - can they buy property together will they be employed regardless of sexuality? Recieve the same salary?

It's also interesting that "male" posters are siting only visual evidence of "female" homosexuality as evidence of acceptance. I suspect that this is the imposition of one's own preconceptions about homosexuality.

In these areas real life - Thailand lags behind.

Please don't make facile comment about how worse it it is in other countries - the question under discussion is Thai homophobia.

I might also add that the apparent tolerance of open male homosexuality in places like Bangkok and Pattaya does not generally extent to most other parts of the Kingdom.

Edited by Deeral

It ought to be pointed out that men (or women) holding hands is not an indication that they're necessarily gay. There are many countries where holding hands is an indication of friendship between two straight people.

yes of course but they dont kiss each other on the lips or hug each other and one has short cropped hair and looks at all other people as 'threats' to her/his gf!

It ought to be pointed out that men (or women) holding hands is not an indication that they're necessarily gay. There are many countries where holding hands is an indication of friendship between two straight people.

yes of course but they dont kiss each other on the lips or hug each other and one has short cropped hair and looks at all other people as 'threats' to her/his gf!

Is that how you behave when out and about with your partner?

Is that how you behave when out and about with your partner?

certainley not - sorry I miss your point?

Not actually. That is a common error in understanding of the meaning of the word, caused of course over confusion about the root word phobia. Of course phobia means fear, and homo means same (as in same sex), but the word HOMOPHOBIA has developed into a broader meaning than only fear. To wit --

ho·mo·pho·bia

noun \ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə\

Definition of HOMOPHOBIA

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Webster dictionary (American English)

searching for definitions points to someone who isn't sure and someone who sure doesn't have much of a life!

Fancy yourself a psychologist too?

We all know what a homophobe is.

I see gays and ladyboys here with excellent jobs and the LEAST homophobia ANYWHERE. Just look at their job placement, and look at cabarets and the entertainment industry.

Back in my home and your home, one like that really struggles and in no way gets respect other than maybe San Fran.

Why do you think they should turn this place into another civil rights struggle like they did in the US? In order to achieve what that they don't have already?