University Attendance Questions

BKKstan

I have a stepdaughter that is in M-6 and is trying to get into a University.

I have several questions regarding attendence and the system,if anyone can help!

Does a Thai student have to enter the University system the first semester after completing M-6?

Does she have to attend University full time or can she take extra years to complete and graduate?

Can she complete a year and take a year off,then return for the second school year?

If she doesn't pass the entrance exam this year,can she reapply the next year?

If she passes and is accepted,can she delay entry until the next year without taking the exams over again?

I'll take a shot at it.

Does a Thai student have to enter the University system the first semester after completing M-6?

No, they don't.

Does she have to attend University full time or can she take extra years to complete and graduate?

While there may be some exceptions, it's a full time gig.

Can she complete a year and take a year off,then return for the second school year?

She might be able to, but would probably have to get permission from the university, and maybe the faculty as well.

Yes, she can.

Because of low scores, a lot of students take a position in a faculty or university they don't really want, with plans to re-take all the exams the following year to try to get their first choice.

If they sat out a year, I think they'd have even a more difficult time passing the exams high enough to get what faculty they want.

She should be able to find info online about the last years tests. She can learn how many openings universities had in each faculty, how many people applied for those spots, and what scores actually got people into the spots. With that info she can get an idea of what she'll need before having to declare her choices of faculty/ies.

If she passes and is accepted,can she delay entry until the next year without taking the exams over again?

No, she'd have to retake the tests.

If she is flexible about faculties and or universities, she should be okay.

Hope that helps a little.

I'll take a shot at it.

No, they don't.

While there may be some exceptions, it's a full time gig.

She might be able to, but would probably have to get permission from the university, and maybe the faculty as well.

Yes, she can.

Because of low scores, a lot of students take a position in a faculty or university they don't really want, with plans to re-take all the exams the following year to try to get their first choice.

If they sat out a year, I think they'd have even a more difficult time passing the exams high enough to get what faculty they want.

She should be able to find info online about the last years tests. She can learn how many openings universities had in each faculty, how many people applied for those spots, and what scores actually got people into the spots. With that info she can get an idea of what she'll need before having to declare her choices of faculty/ies.

No, she'd have to retake the tests.

If she is flexible about faculties and or universities, she should be okay.

Hope that helps a little.

She wants to major in English,which has been her strong suit in school,especially since she has spent 10 years with a falang stepfather.I don't think she has gotten much from the Thai school system,her English has not improved,especially grammar,but she has learned to study fairly well the last two years unlike her classmates that cheat on exams and copy her homework!

I think her main goal is to live in falangland,but I would like to see her get a degree in English Ed so she could teach, in or out of a school system in Thailand, in case her goal of of getting to falangland is delayed or not acheivable!

I would like to see her ''live in the English language''more as all of her non-academic time,now, is spent with Thai friends that only speak Thai.We have talked about ways that she might do that including volunteering with ''Travel to Teach'' type of organizations before or after University and maybe the family moving to where she would be going to Uni,renting a large enough home to provide assisted living accomodation for native English speaking students that she could ''hangout with''!We have no idea if the latter is a good possibility or not!

I would appreciate any ideas ,advice or info that you can share.Thank you!

I appreciate your response,Terry!!!So,if she wanted to do some work or volunteering for a year or two,she would still be elgible to apply for University?

100 years ago when I attended college,I was able to schedule classes and take as many credits as was convenient for my study and work considerations.From what you have stated,I can assume that is not an option here?

post-2026-0-39294800-1290384561_thumb.jp

"So,if she wanted to do some work or volunteering for a year or two,she would still be elgible to apply for University?"

One year is okay. I don't know about two years.

She should be able to find out easily enough. Have her talk to her guidance counselor at school. There are also sites set up where the students talk about the tests and other 'entrance' issues.

"100 years ago when I attended college,I was able to schedule classes and take as many credits as was convenient for my study and work considerations.From what you have stated,I can assume that is not an option here?"

With some exceptions, as Otherstuff 1957 pointed out, they do things differently than many of us experienced in our school days. It normally works pretty much like it did for her in high school, with the students in a class staying together.

You might have her check out some of the private universities. They might have some flexible plans like Ram.

You might have her look into international programs. They are programs that use the English language for instruction.

Check out this site: http://studyinthailand.org/

An example;

The International Pharmacy program at KKU is about 50k baht per term.

One term in the science faculty, in Thai, is 10k.

I keep mentioning that 'she' should find out this info because it will be much easier for her to get it thru peers and Thai forums.

Good luck.

Edited by TerryLH

I am working in the admissions office at Payap University in Chiang Mai. I just asked your questions to the admissions officer.

She can apply any time after she graduates from M6.

She can take up to 8 years to get a 4 year bachelors degree.

She can complete a year, take a year off, then continue her studies. However, she probably needs a letter of absence from the university to show she is still enrolled.

She can take the national entrance exam the following year if she wants. Many Thai students do this to raise their scores to help get them into the university they want.

Once she passes the exam are good for 2 years.

Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to live in study. If she is in Chiang Mai and wants a tour of the university, please let me know and I can set this up.

We have an English Communication degree at Payap University International College. All our classes are taught in English. We also have international dorms for her to stay in.

I cannot tell you too much about our programs on ThaiVisa without violating their advertising policy which I am trying to be mindful of. Send me a private message for more details.

Richard, thanks for your consideration in posting. I would have hated to either delete or edit your post. And, because of your information, we all now know a little more about University study in Thailand.

I really wasn't sure myself.

You guys are really fantastic!Ram really sounds interesting with the exception that it is in bangkok,which requires higher living costs.

Ram fees are great!I would like to see her get into an English International program,but I don't really believe her English understanding is good enough for her to be taught in English,But they do have an English Intensive class during the summer that sounds interesting.

Richard,I will definitely be sending you a PM,thanks for your reply!

By the way,I ordered an English lesson course called Flow English,learning through listening.I should have asked prior to ordering it,but I wonder if anyone is familiar or has experience with this product?

It has been over a week and I still have not received a download link and since i didn't have a charge on my AMEX card after 3 days,I ordered on my bank debit card and wound up with two $97 charges,but still no download link!!!

So if anyone has experience with it that sounds negative,I will challenge both charges ,instead of only one!Thanks

You guys are really fantastic!Ram really sounds interesting with the exception that it is in bangkok,which requires higher living costs.

Ram fees are great!I would like to see her get into an English International program,but I don't really believe her English understanding is good enough for her to be taught in English,But they do have an English Intensive class during the summer that sounds interesting.. . . .

Ram has virtuallythe same program(s) in the Thai side of the uni (taught in Thai of course) and it is extremely cheap. Something round about 25baht a credit if i recall correctly? She will nedd around 144 credits for a Bachelor degree. Same 8 years to complete etc applies.

ST.

Ram fees are great!I would like to see her get into an English International program,but I don't really believe her English understanding is good enough for her to be taught in English,But they do have an English Intensive class during the summer that sounds interesting.. . . .

Ram has virtuallythe same program(s) in the Thai side of the uni (taught in Thai of course) and it is extremely cheap. Something round about 25baht a credit if i recall correctly? She will nedd around 144 credits for a Bachelor degree. Same 8 years to complete etc applies.

ST.

If you can, visit both schools and see which one you want to spend the next 4 years at. But be warned...the city of Chiang Mai kind of adds to the charm of Payap University. It's a great place to study.