Accommodation In Det Udom

dantilley

Can anyone recommend a hotel or guest-house in Det Udom, Ubon province? Doesn't have to be particularly posh, but not an absolute dive either. Probably somewhere around 1,000 Baht per room / night. All the usual hotel online booking sites have drawn a blank...

Thanks.

I doubt you will find anything for 1,000 baht a night in Det Udom...... that's because they are all more in the 500 baht and under price range!

I can describe where a few are if you are interested but I don't know the names of them I am sorry.

Hi Dan

Would gather you have never been to Det Udom. not what you would call a holiday resort. There are a couple of new hotals as you leave on the road to Buntharik and a nice enough place on the river near the dam. Will you have a car, if so Tronds resort is not to far of a drive. I am in Buntharik, if you get bored come on down for a beer. Jim

Hi Dan

Would gather you have never been to Det Udom. not what you would call a holiday resort. There are a couple of new hotals as you leave on the road to Buntharik and a nice enough place on the river near the dam. Will you have a car, if so Tronds resort is not to far of a drive. I am in Buntharik, if you get bored come on down for a beer. Jim

I have been briefly, yes, but not stuck around for any length of time. Reason for going next year is we're visiting my wife's family, only the difference is that this time my parents will be coming also so we can't all crash at the in-laws' house. Last time they came we found a small gueshouse very near the village - to say it was grim would be an understatement. To avoid a repeat situation again, we thought it would be better to head for the nearest sizable town, hence Det Udom.

Thanks for these recommendations - I'll make a note and may go on a brief recce next month...

Hi Dan

I have been briefly, yes, but not stuck around for any length of time. Reason for going next year is we're visiting my wife's family, only the difference is that this time my parents will be coming also so we can't all crash at the in-laws' house. Last time they came we found a small gueshouse very near the village - to say it was grim would be an understatement. To avoid a repeat situation again, we thought it would be better to head for the nearest sizable town, hence Det Udom.

Thanks for these recommendations - I'll make a note and may go on a brief recce next month...

If the village is south of Det then Tronds resort is your best bet, has a pool and very good food, Trond is on this forum under the name bergen, have a look at his profile and I am sure he has photos of the place. Jim

your dilemma sounds similar to the one i'll have next year. my wife and i just had our first child, 3 months old now, and next year we'll be visiting her village near Daetudom with my folks and im concerned about the little one staying in the village. i have to say ive never seen anything resembling a decent hotel in daetudom, they all looked like run down guesthouses with extortionate rates

Like the others, I have never seen anything like a half reasonable place to stay in Det Udom in the 20 odd years driving down there from CNX several times a year. Fortunately we have a place in Ban Nong Yao otherwise I think I would stay in Ubon. It doesnt take long to drive since they upgraded the road. It was a horror before that. My old GPS map showed a 'resort' just south of the river and east of the 2182 to Buntharik. The new map does not show that resort any more but does show one to the west of the 2182 just a few meters south of the river. That must be where or just behind where they used to sell young rubber trees. It must be fairly new, I might be down there next month, it woud be interesting to see if it is anything more than a 'short time' place. Anyone else clocked this place yet?

otherwise I think I would stay in Ubon.

Considering this as an option also, certainly plenty more choice there...

dantilley

The other benefit is it does put a few kilometers between you and the family, sometimes that is a benefit. CNX is just toooo far for them, they could not imagine driving 1000km and 18 hours on a bus is daunting to all but a few of the kids that like to come here.

I stayed one week in Det Udom in 2007. I don´t remember the name of the "resort", but it is only a few roads north of Pracha road (the main road where the Amphur is located) and had a large Pepsi sign outside, why I used to call it "Pepsi resort". It was very near the local fresh market. Around 8 rooms (bungalow style). No luxury but clean and definitely less than THB 1000. Breakfast with tea or coffe served. No swimming Pool and right next to a chicken farm, so the roosters will wake you up around 3:30 am.

I stayed one week in Det Udom in 2007. I don´t remember the name of the "resort", but it is only a few roads north of Pracha road (the main road where the Amphur is located) and had a large Pepsi sign outside, why I used to call it "Pepsi resort". It was very near the local fresh market. Around 8 rooms (bungalow style). No luxury but clean and definitely less than THB 1000. Breakfast with tea or coffe served. No swimming Pool and right next to a chicken farm, so the roosters will wake you up around 3:30 am.

I just stayed at this place last weekend. It's now known as Puksa Resort located about 4-5 blocks north of the east side of the market hall. The resort sign is well-lit (Thai only) on the RHS. Rooms were clean and comfortable with a/c, fridge and Sat TV for 400 Bt/ night. No breakfast served however. Drinks available from reception. It is a 'short-time' type of operation although perfectly adequate as an overnight stop or base from which to head out to the village.

Hi Dan ,

If you go back onto route 24 heading south for about a mile from the hospital there is a place called MontilaResort . It is about a 100m off the road . You would turn right onto the drive way if you were travelling south .I believe the bungalows are about 600 bhat . It has a pool and isn't far from the tesco or market once you have worked out the short cut . They have a good menu . I take my son swimming regularly and the owners are pleasant enough .

Luke

:D Oh and the small restaurant in town called "little duck " does a nice tequila margarita at 90bhat a jug ....

I just stayed at this place last weekend. It's now known as Puksa Resort located about 4-5 blocks north of the east side of the market hall. The resort sign is well-lit (Thai only) on the RHS. Rooms were clean and comfortable with a/c, fridge and Sat TV for 400 Bt/ night. No breakfast served however. Drinks available from reception. It is a 'short-time' type of operation although perfectly adequate as an overnight stop or base from which to head out to the village.

Yes - take mum and dad to a short time hotel - great idea!?

Looks like it's Trond's or Ubon.

Where is 'little duck' located?

Little Duck is on a side street off the main drag with the BK bank , police station , 7/11. If you were travelling in a westerly direction it would be the first left after the BK bank , there is a collectors shop on the corner with motor bikes and model planes and stuff . It is open at lunch time . So you turn left and it is on your left just after the first lane .

I enjoy the food and the smashed ice coctails make a change from the old leo .

see ye in there some time

Luke

Hi Dan ,

If you go back onto route 24 heading south for about a mile from the hospital there is a place called MontilaResort . It is about a 100m off the road . You would turn right onto the drive way if you were travelling south .I believe the bungalows are about 600 bhat . It has a pool and isn't far from the tesco or market once you have worked out the short cut . They have a good menu . I take my son swimming regularly and the owners are pleasant enough .

Luke

:D Oh and the small restaurant in town called "little duck " does a nice tequila margarita at 90bhat a jug ....

I would 2nd the vote fo Mobtira. I also often take the family there for there Sunday swim, and it is also a nice place for a meal.

Small chalet type rooms, the food is OK and definitely not a short time hotel atmosphere, but more of a small resort.

I must admit I never stayed there but did check out the rooms for potential visitors before and they seemed OK

• 3 months later...

Hi Luke, does little duck do decent food?

Dantilly - where did you end up staying?

Memock , the food is your usual fare , tom pla , ka na moo and so on , a wee bit salty sometimes. The last time I was there they didn't have margarittas . Not to worry though . Have you tried the bar with all the old bycles hanging on the wall at the end of the main drag , the lass who owns it speaks english .

I will be up country end of march if you fancy a beer and some idle banter of an afternoon ?

Luke

Hi Onionluke, thanks again for your prompt response.

End of March will be cutting it fine with my departure date (not booked yet but planning for end of the month). If we put it off a little (every chance) then a catch up would be great. How long will you be around for?

Tell me more about that place with the pool just past the hospital. Is the pool clean and good for kids? Will my missus like the food? :lol:

Hi Luke, does little duck do decent food?

Dantilly - where did you end up staying?

Memock , the food is your usual fare , tom pla , ka na moo and so on , a wee bit salty sometimes. The last time I was there they didn't have margarittas . Not to worry though . Have you tried the bar with all the old bycles hanging on the wall at the end of the main drag , the lass who owns it speaks english .

I will be up country end of march if you fancy a beer and some idle banter of an afternoon ?

Luke

Hi Luke, I'm up for a beer. The wife has to go worship at Tescos about once a week and I have a on going dental appointment every Saturday for 5 more weeks. So when you get here PM me with your phone number and I will give you a call when we head to town. Jim

I dropped by the resort on the 24 on Sunday 6th this month.

At around 11 in the morning it was quiet, no guests but I saw a guy throwing clorin powder into the pool, so I guess that was working?

Just wanted to find the location so didn't eat, or check out the rooms....... :)

Memock - the montilla pool is fairly clean (clorinated ) . The food is more expensive than a restaurant outside but they have an english menu . You can order a western breakfast , pork steak and chips , deep fried battered chicken if they have it as a treat or change for the nippers . We usually order a mullet on a fish kettle with the tomato sauce thing , the salads are fine and they do all sorts of squid dishes . There are small bamboo huts to sit in or you can take a table inside . I recomend the place as a family day out if you live in the vicinity . Let me know when you are going next .(the only thing is the not very cold beer at 80 bhat a bottle) .

Jim-I will PM you when up country , Looking forward to a coldy and the idle banter .

Bergen - maybe try to organise a Det Udom get together ?

Luke

Memock - the montilla pool is fairly clean (clorinated ) . The food is more expensive than a restaurant outside but they have an english menu . You can order a western breakfast , pork steak and chips , deep fried battered chicken if they have it as a treat or change for the nippers . We usually order a mullet on a fish kettle with the tomato sauce thing , the salads are fine and they do all sorts of squid dishes . There are small bamboo huts to sit in or you can take a table inside . I recomend the place as a family day out if you live in the vicinity . Let me know when you are going next .(the only thing is the not very cold beer at 80 bhat a bottle) .

Jim-I will PM you when up country , Looking forward to a coldy and the idle banter .

Bergen - maybe try to organise a Det Udom get together ?

Luke

Luke I think I'll pass trying to organize a D U event. ;)

But you can include me in the cold beer PM whenever, either there or here........ :D

• 3 months later...

At around 11 in the morning it was quiet, no guests but I saw a guy throwing clorin powder into the pool, so I guess that was working?

I should have paid more attention to this bit of information at the time! The chlorine levels were unbelievable!

So yes we did finally make it so did up a bit of a report as well as some photos and directions here: http://memock.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/monteera-resort-and-swimming-pool-det-udom-มนธีรา-รีสอร์ท-เดชอ/