114 Yellow Shirts To Be Charged For Bangkok Airports Protests

webfact

114 to Be Charged for Airport Protests

Police have decided to charge a total of 114 yellow shirt members for their involvement in protests at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports.

The case will be forwarded to the national police chief for his final approval.

Assistant national police chief Lieutenant General Somyos Phumphanmuang, head of the investigation team in charge of the airport protest case, said investigators have resolved to file charges against 114 members of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD.

The PAD members will be charged for their involvement in both the protests at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi international airports in November 2008.

The case will then be forwarded to the police chief and public prosecutors.

Until now, 23 suspects in the airport protest case have failed to report to police.

The police are currently trying to locate and bring in the suspects for questioning.

In response to the PAD's threat to file a countersuit against the investigators, Somyos said it is within the PAD's right if they think the investigators have violated the law.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-22

footer_n.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is: What will the charges be?

Terrorism

:) I doubt a terrorism charge will be put against them. In fact I doubt it will be much more than tresspassing. If you have information stating that terrorism is the charge being considered, please share it with the rest of us :)

Terrorism

Does that mean all the UK airport unions will be charged with terrorism the next time they shut down Heathrow?

They should be! I am also wondering when the Phuket faction of the PAD idiots in yellow will be charged for going onto the runway and refusing to allow tourists to leave the airport or enter the airport.

See here

They will probably get a charge of public nuisance, fined 500 Baht and let go. When the English drunk baggage handler on his holiday to Thailand got drunk and tried to open the door mid flight on Thai International, including have to be forcibly subdued and handcuffed, he was arrested, fined 2,000 Baht and sent home sober! T.I.T.

If they can't find 23 of the 114 big deal. And the 'police' have decided to charge them after 4 years. Hang about - won't be long before statute of limitations kicks in and you can all go back to your homes. wink.gif

Well it was slow coming, but it happened.

The yellows did not burn the airport to the ground in revenge,

so no no arson charges, people came and went so no kidnapping.

No doubt what ever they get charged with reds will be here saying it's not enough,

and ignoring their own teams egregious crimes.

Well it was slow coming, but it happened.

The yellows did not burn the airport to the ground in revenge,

so no no arson charges, people came and went so no kidnapping.

No doubt what ever they get charged with reds will be here saying it's not enough,

and ignoring their own teams egregious crimes.

They need to be charged with something. What they did was inexcusable.

But terrorism doesn't fit the bill.

Terrorism

:) I doubt a terrorism charge will be put against them. In fact I doubt it will be much more than tresspassing. If you have information stating that terrorism is the charge being considered, please share it with the rest of us :)

Trespassing! One has got to laugh.

But you're right "terrorism" won't be the charge.My post was made ironically since the charge was made completely inappropriately against the redshirt demonstrators - but then they didn't have the feudal, military and elite support the yellow/PAD mob enjoyed.Personally I would like to see jail time for the PAD ringleaders - though of course (see above) it won't happen.

But you're right "terrorism" won't be the charge.My post was made ironically since the charge was made completely inappropriately against the redshirt demonstrators - but then they didn't have the feudal, military and elite support the yellow/PAD mob enjoyed.Personally I would like to see jail time for the PAD ringleaders - though of course (see above) it won't happen.

There is a big difference between blocking access to an airport compared to killing army personel and civilians and burning buildings.

Terrorism

Does that mean all the UK airport unions will be charged with terrorism the next time they shut down Heathrow?

Oh that old boring chestnut, you are suggesting the authorities chose to shut the airport, while ignoring the fact that yellows were in the control tower, the roads were blocked and the airport could not guarantee the safety of the passengers or the equipment. We are not talking about deciding to close a mom and pop shop here, we are talking about being forced to clse an international airport because it was over run with people that had already shown violence on the capitals streets.

It is about time these charges were brought, hopefully the charge is serious enough to fit the seriousness of the offence. If it was the reds that took over the airport you would be screaming blue murder, your hypocrisy knows no ends.

There is a big difference between blocking access to an airport compared to killing army personel and civilians and burning buildings.

In moral terms, certainly. In economic terms however I believe the damage was probably similar.

In terms of economic damage the occupation of the airports, which also set the pattern for civil disobedience, was far more serious then the arson attsacks.

In terms of killings the vast majority of the dead were red shirt civilians.

You can't get round the hard facts by using terms like "blocking access."

Terrorism

Oh that old boring chestnut, you are suggesting the authorities chose to shut the airport, while ignoring the fact that yellows were in the control tower, the roads were blocked and the airport could not guarantee the safety of the passengers or the equipment. We are not talking about deciding to close a mom and pop shop here, we are talking about being forced to clse an international airport because it was over run with people that had already shown violence on the capitals streets.

It is about time these charges were brought, hopefully the charge is serious enough to fit the seriousness of the offence. If it was the reds that took over the airport you would be screaming blue murder, your hypocrisy knows no ends.

You are trying to compare what the yellow shirts did to what the red shirts did. I didn't say anything about who chose to close the airport. It had to be closed because of the protesters.

If the red shirts had just taken over the Ratchaprasong area and forced the shopping centres to close because people couldn't get there or because they couldn't guarantee customers safety with so many protesters wandering around, then that could be a fair comparison with the yellow shirts.

But the red shirts went a few steps further by shooting army personnel and killing civilians, and then burning down buildings.

Terrorism

the redshirt demonstrators - but then they didn't have the feudal, military and elite support the yellow/PAD mob enjoyed.Personally I would like to see jail time for the PAD ringleaders - though of course (see above) it won't happen.

They must have some sort of support to not face charges thus far for their earlier-than-airport case which injured hundreds in July 2007.

Some sort of support must also be afforded Somchai and Chavalit for their not facing charges on another earlier-than-airport case in October 2008 that injured hundreds.

Some sort of support must also be afforded to Potjaman for her not being confined in jail since her conviction earlier-than-airport case in October 2008.

In terms of economic damage the occupation of the airports, which also set the pattern for civil disobedience, was far more serious then the arson attsacks.

In terms of killings the vast majority of the dead were red shirt civilians.

You can't get round the hard facts by using terms like "blocking access."

The closure of the airports by the yellow shirts was similar to a union going on strike at Heathrow - a big inconvenience to travelers for a short period of time. Definitely an economic impact, because of the cost of dealing with the travelers and, in the short term, cancellation of traveling plans.

With the red shirts taking over a major tourist area, searching people going into the major tourist area, putting tyres on the BTS tracks, shooting grenades at BTS stations and hotels, would give a longer term economic impact with less tourists traveling here, many canceled business events, longer term effect on business investment, increased travel warnings by a number of countries and the cost of repairing all the damaged buildings.

Yes, a vast majority of those killed were red shirt protesters, but not all of them. Some of those killed and injured were just going about their daily business OUTSIDE the protest area.

In moral terms, certainly. In economic terms however I believe the damage was probably similar.

moral terms... LOL.... how about in legal terms?

The economic effects of the prolonged Red siege far surpassed the 9 day airport loss.

Terrorism

There was a vast difference between the actions and rhetoric of the PAD and the RedShirts. The PAD stood firm even in the face of frequent grenade attacks against them. The Reds actually did terrorize people and actively called for terrost actions even before they came to BKK. (Do we need to show the youtube of Arisaman callng for people to bring bottles to burn BKK down and then look at the aftermath?)

You are trying to compare what the yellow shirts did to what the red shirts did. I didn't say anything about who chose to close the airport. It had to be closed because of the protesters.

If the red shirts had just taken over the Ratchaprasong area and forced the shopping centres to close because people couldn't get there or because they couldn't guarantee customers safety with so many protesters wandering around, then that could be a fair comparison with the yellow shirts.

But the red shirts went a few steps further by shooting army personnel and killing civilians, and then burning down buildings.

Your comment about unions causing the closure of an airport shows you are saying the yellows didn't close it, it the authorities chose to close it for safety, same as if a union caused it to be closed for safety reasons, you are claiming the yellows should shoulder no responsibility for the closure. we both know that si what your comment is aimed at because really there is no comparison between the actions of the yellows and a UK union.

Where do i try to compare what the reds and the yellows did? please highlight this for me as I see it nowhere in this thread.

And for your last pointless comment I will counter with people being murdered by the yellows, police being run over, police stabbed at parliament, explosives found, person murdered at airport, people murdered around their stronghold. As for the fires you are blaming the reds for, has that been resolved, I must have missed the evidence and the convictions, if you know something we don't then let the authorities have it.

Just give it a rest, its tedious in the extreme. the yellows caused the closure, pure and simple, what the reds have done has no place in this thread and is off topic, or are you saying two wrongs make a right, is tit for tat ok?

Anyway feel free to keep making a fool of yourself, because that is what you are doing with the relentless anti red drivel that you spout at every opportunity.

Now lets get back on topic, this is about the yellows and the airport, not about the reds this year, that is being dealt with, people are in custody, they have been labelled terrorists by the very people that were put in power by the actions of the PAD, so I doubt the dems will level that at their own buddies, especially when one is foreign minister.

Your comment about unions causing the closure of an airport shows you are saying the yellows didn't close it, it the authorities chose to close it for safety, same as if a union caused it to be closed for safety reasons, you are claiming the yellows should shoulder no responsibility for the closure. we both know that si what your comment is aimed at because really there is no comparison between the actions of the yellows and a UK union.

As far as I'm concerned, it's irrelevant who actually closed the airport - the yellow shirts caused it to be closed. If the authorities, IF they were the ones that decided to close it, had no real choice.

Where do i try to compare what the reds and the yellows did? please highlight this for me as I see it nowhere in this thread.

Apologies, it was jayboy trying to compare them.

And for your last pointless comment I will counter with people being murdered by the yellows, police being run over, police stabbed at parliament, explosives found, person murdered at airport, people murdered around their stronghold. As for the fires you are blaming the reds for, has that been resolved, I must have missed the evidence and the convictions, if you know something we don't then let the authorities have it.

People being murdered by the yellows? Police being run over - one crazy individual that even more crazily got off with a suspended sentence. Police being injured during riot control. A person murdered at the airport - internal problems?? Related??

Are you saying the reds didn't start any of the fires? And why are we discussing the yellows if there has been no evidence presented or any convictions?

Now lets get back on topic, this is about the yellows and the airport, not about the reds this year, that is being dealt with, people are in custody, they have been labelled terrorists by the very people that were put in power by the actions of the PAD, so I doubt the dems will level that at their own buddies, especially when one is foreign minister.

Yes... Back on topic ... The yellows have been charged. With what? IMO, it shouldn't be terrorism.

Edited by whybother

The yellows won't be charged with terrorism - in particular Chamlong Srimuang (who looks like Skeletor!) was very careful "not to break the law". Their story was that they moved into the airport, but did not close it down. That was the airport's decision.

Of course the reality is that they effectively did close down the airport. But not technically. Trespassing seems the likely charge.

Oh, and on an off-topic sidenote, the reds were far far far far worse. On a completely different level. And random, the PAD and Kasit don't get along any more - and the PAD and Abhisit never did in the first place.

Of course the reality is that they effectively did close down the airport. But not technically. Trespassing seems the likely charge.

I've been saying this ever since it happened. I've thought about it from several different angles, but legally trespassing is probably the only thing you can hit them with.

If you want serious jail time, it would make more sense to go after them for the seizure of Government House. There, you have a much more clear cut crime. B&E and such. In my opinion, the yellows were just alot smarter than the reds. They got the results they wanted while keeping their crimes to a minimum. Everyone ignores Government House, where they truly did go way over the line.

That was the real crime, and I hardly hear anyone even mention it. The yellows have been very smart indeed.

Just give it a rest, its tedious in the extreme. the yellows caused the closure, pure and simple, what the reds have done has no place in this thread and is off topic, or are you saying two wrongs make a right, is tit for tat ok?

Anyway feel free to keep making a fool of yourself, because that is what you are doing with the relentless anti red drivel that you spout at every opportunity.

Excellent post.

Well said for sure they will not be charged with terrorism.

They may get jail but somehow I doubt it.

Case can be dragged on for years..............

I've been saying this ever since it happened. I've thought about it from several different angles, but legally trespassing is probably the only thing you can hit them with.

If you want serious jail time, it would make more sense to go after them for the seizure of Government House. There, you have a much more clear cut crime. B&E and such. In my opinion, the yellows were just alot smarter than the reds. They got the results they wanted while keeping their crimes to a minimum. Everyone ignores Government House, where they truly did go way over the line.

That was the real crime, and I hardly hear anyone even mention it. The yellows have been very smart indeed.

Agreed. They did large amounts of damage to government house, and also injured police during riots.

But because it didn't make the international press in the same way as the airport, it gets forgotten about. Because of that, it didn't affect tourism or businesses (except very locally) either.