Swedish National Arrested For Skimming 10m Baht Off Credit Cards In Thailand

webfact

Swedish national arrested for stealing info off credit cards in Thailand

CHONBURI, 22 November 2010 (NNT) -- Immigration police in Chonburee have arrested a Swedish national wanted for forgeries. The suspect has reportedly stolen over 10 million baht in Thailand, using fake credit cards.

27 years old Mr.Malkeson Charbel was arrested early yesterday morning in a bar in South Pattaya. The Nordic Police have coordinated with their Thai counterparts in tracking down the suspect. Thai police have later identified the man based on the descriptions given by the Nordic Police.

Mr. Charbel was taken to Chonburi’s Immigration Bereau for further investigation before being extradited to Sweden. According to police reports, Mr. Charbel has used a skimming device in stealing information from ATM cards. 260 people in Thailand have complained to the police that someone has taken cash advance from their credit cards without their knowledge

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-11-22 footer_n.gif

Why is he being extradited if the crime was commited in Thailand?

Good point.

I would guess that he has "previous" for this sort of offence back in his home country - and may even have arrived with some cloned cards "ready to go". It was probably the Swedish police who tipped off the Thai police that the guy was up to his old tricks in Thailand.

He used more than one card.

I can not help but wonder why it took so long to arrest him,

Usual limit for credit card advance is 25 000 baht, so to skim 10 000 000 would take some time to achieve

Still time consuming.

and why did it take 260 reports to start acting?!

Nordic police....???

Long term in Sweden means life in prison which usually is 7 to 8 years, max 10 to 12 for serial killers and stuff. Skimming cards he'd be off in couple of years or no jail time at all.

The comment about the Pattaya citizens in general, all being worthy of deportation, is an interesting thought.

Some years back I met socially a complete stranger at an organised event where one might assume [wrongly] that everyone was legit. I got quite a shock when an individual, breifly introduced, joined our group and in next to no time confided in me how he had fleeced a number of credit cards to the hilt before cutting and running to Pattaya. Furthermore, that such a 'con' was the norm and that it left the door open to return to the UK.

Good advice would be to never use an ATM outside of a bank premises. That is, the supermarket located ones can be installed with a skimmer, obviously the externally located ones are much easier to tamper with, and so they should not be used.

Furthermore, other measure shoul be taken to ensure safe monetary transactions; again negating the use of ATMs.

This sort of semi cyber crme is a modern day plague, but lets be honest; it's not catching the most academic mindsets on the streets of Pattaya. In deed, simply a short skirt and a pretty smile seems enough to have most 4 digit codes tapped out and the money handed over when the buffalo, grand ma or motorcy falls down the well.

The comment about the Pattaya citizens in general, all being worthy of deportation, is an interesting thought.

Some years back I met socially a complete stranger at an organised event where one might assume [wrongly] that everyone was legit. I got quite a shock when an individual, breifly introduced, joined our group and in next to no time confided in me how he had fleeced a number of credit cards to the hilt before cutting and running to Pattaya. Furthermore, that such a 'con' was the norm and that it left the door open to return to the UK.

Good advice would be to never use an ATM outside of a bank premises. That is, the supermarket located ones can be installed with a skimmer, obviously the externally located ones are much easier to tamper with, and so they should not be used.

Furthermore, other measure shoul be taken to ensure safe monetary transactions; again negating the use of ATMs.

This sort of semi cyber crme is a modern day plague, but lets be honest; it's not catching the most academic mindsets on the streets of Pattaya. In deed, simply a short skirt and a pretty smile seems enough to have most 4 digit codes tapped out and the money handed over when the buffalo, grand ma or motorcy falls down the well.

Sweden have special polices working in Thailand and also a cooperation to the Thai Police enforcement.

Nordic police....???

Long term in Sweden means life in prison which usually is 7 to 8 years, max 10 to 12 for serial killers and stuff. Skimming cards he'd be off in couple of years or no jail time at all.

Funny that you should bring this up, I have just completed a study of a similar topic and during the research I came across some stats on this which disputes your statement.

Life term in Sweden means you can get paroled after a minimum of 16 years. The stats I have access to shows that there were 162 life term prisoners in Sweden in 2007. During the years 1995-2002 there were 16 life term prisoners who managed to get paroled after 18-25 years. It is also clear that the number of paroles is decreasing; in the early 90's one in 10 appeals for parole was approved, a number that currently sits at one in 20.

The stats I have from 1986-2008 shows that the average time served by the prisoners who was paroled was 22 years. It also shows a distinct increase in the number of life term sentences; 1990 there were 58 life term prisoners, and this increase indicates a change in law enforcement.