Retirement visa  ?

I have read the new $$$ requirements for a retirement visa. Used to be 80000 baht in a bank, now they have added, OR  a monthly pension of 65000 baht ($1500.00 US) a month. I have read in two websites the basic requirements, but one also mentions a letter from YOUR embassy stating that they give you permission to retire in Thailand. The other site does NOT state this. I Emailed the Thai Embassy in Manila asking where I can download the retirement vis application, and the requirements. That was a week ago and still nO response!! Does anyone know the true requirements especially the Embassy letter?? and where to download the form? How long does it take them to answer??

You need 800,000 Baht in the bank - or 65,000 Baht per month coming in - or a combination of these.

1.        Qualifications for the Applicant    

1.1     An alien being 50 years of age and above (on the date of submitting an application).

1.2      Not being a person prohibited from entering the Kingdom.

1.3     Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality,

or the country of  his/her residence.

1.4     Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/her application is submitted.

1.5     Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535).

1.6     Not being allowed to work in Thailand.

2.       Documents for the Application

2.1     A passport valid no less than one year and a half.

2.2    Three copies of a Visa Application Form (with photos).

2.3    A Personal Data Form.

2.4    A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht,

or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht,

or a deposit account    plus a monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

2.5    In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is to be shown

as well.

2.6    Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality

or residence (the verification shall be valid for no more than 3 months).  

2.7    A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive

diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for

no more than 3 months).

2.8    In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse

is not    qualified for the O-A code visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence.

(The spouse will be    considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the 'O' Code).

3.      Recommendations for the Alien While Staying in the Kingdom

3.1     When completing the stay of 90 days in the Kingdom, the alien shall report to the competent

authority and repeat it every 90 days with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area,

or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there.

(In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows:

- The Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo,

personal  details, and the latest arrival visa stamp as well as a self addressed envelop with postage

affixed, shall be forwarded, by 7 days before the due date, by acknowledgement of receipt mail to the

Immigration   Bureau, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. In the case of conducting any

following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.)  

3.2     At the end of the one-year stay, the alien who wishes to extend his/her stay shall submit a request for the

extended period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit

account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, at the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht, or an

income certificate plus a deposit account at the total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

3.3     If the alien's spouse wishes to extend his/her stay as well, the marriage certificate shall be produced.

---

To make some sort of fiscal comparison with the Thai retirement visa request what would the position be if say the UK or US decided on a congruent amount.For example imagine a requirement for a farang meaning Thai person (we would not call them an alien-NO polite) trying for a similar visa.How many (to compare only) would be able to deposit say $800,000.00 / £800,000.00 in a local Citibank or Barclays and/or have an income of $65,000.00/£65,000.00 a month.There would of course be NO restrictions on buying property.houses,land anything you want since we are talking from the lands of the FREE..oximoron.. mai pen ri.Apart from a few emenient Thai Poleticians and lots of Pattaya Lady Nights the applications would dare I suggest be minimum :o

• 1 month later...

<< an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht .... >>

Hey fester

Last year when I got my multiple-entry non-immigrant at Penang the consul came out several times, said he wanted to issue me a retirement visa -- and almost begged me to give him an income certificate. But then, as now, I had/have no idea what one of those is. I had/have only the document from the source of my pension which certifies that I have an annual Dollar income way in excess of the requirement for that visa.

I am about to drive down again and request another visa and would be thrilled if you can fill me in on just what meets the requirement for "an income certificate."

For example, if I have my US bank transfer a monthly 65,000 Baht and Bangkok Bank write a letter to that effect to Immigration; will that do it?

Thanks in anticipation, fester.

Best ones -- Brian :o

The soundest thing is to submit a letter from both banks when applying...... that should more than suffice. In the   Thai system you can never have too many bits of paper.      Ask if you can retain the original letters in case you want      to apply for a longer term stay