Maesai Immigration Office

Limbo

Many pensioners annually need to show to their pension-fund that they are still alive. Attesta de vita, prove of life, or however this document is called.

I recently met a pensioner who yearly visits his embassy in Bangkok to get this document signed. And who has to pay a exorbitant high fee to get this done.

At the Immigration Office of Maesai it is done for free.

I really wouldn't mind to pay legal dues for it. I think it is unique that the Office offers this service for free, where some embassies are shameless enough to ask 1500 Baht for a signature and a stamp.

Bravo for the Royal Thai Immigration Police of Maesai and their fantastic officers!

If your pension-fund accepts it, you also can get this service at the Tourist Police Office in town. But check first if they are authorized to do so by your fund.

At your service,

Limbo

I have also had many trips to MaiSai Immigration and had nothing but

demands for money, refusal to help and outright lies from the officiers.

Have you forgotten.....MaiSai is in the north....immigration down south is much more honest and inexpensive.....better to do visa runs in the south, east, or west...definitely not the north......

Edited by chownah

Please Mr. Thetyim,

These are quite heavy accusations directed towards officers who don't have the possibility to reply.

In the office of the Immigration Police of Maesai hangs a sign with the address where you can send your complaints. I think that if you have the feeling not having been treated according to the rules that you should send your complain to that address.

But if you put your remarks on a forum like this you are not correct.

We don't have the possibility to judge if you are right. We are not judges at all and we don't want to be. Your remarks become rumours in this way, which I strongly want to dismantle.

The last eightteen years I never had a demand for money, help was never refused and none of the officers has ever lied to me. Actually they were so helpful that I feel a little bit insulted on their behalf by your remarks.

And I share this experience with all foreigners I ever spoke about this office.

I admire the patience of the officers of the immigration office of Maesai.

Many times I felt vicariously ashamed about the behaviour of foreigners at this office. Rude, demanding, unpolite and not showing the slightest respect.

And the officers remained correct!

As recently as yesterday an acquaintance told me about how he was explained the procedure to get a year visa. Only praise!

Please don't offend the officers we highly respect!

Limbo.

Please Mr. Thetyim,

These are quite heavy accusations directed towards officers who don't have the possibility to reply.

In the office of the Immigration Police of Maesai hangs a sign with the address where you can send your complaints. I think that if you have the feeling not having been treated according to the rules that you should send your complain to that address.

But if you put your remarks on a forum like this you are not correct.

We don't have the possibility to judge if you are right. We are not judges at all and we don't want to be. Your remarks become rumours in this way, which I strongly want to dismantle.

The last eightteen years I never had a demand for money, help was never refused and none of the officers has ever lied to me. Actually they were so helpful that I feel a little bit insulted on their behalf by your remarks.

And I share this experience with all foreigners I ever spoke about this office.

I admire the patience of the officers of the immigration office of Maesai.

Many times I felt vicariously ashamed about the behaviour of foreigners at this office. Rude, demanding, unpolite and not showing the slightest respect.

And the officers remained correct!

As recently as yesterday an acquaintance told me about how he was explained the procedure to get a year visa. Only praise!

Please don't offend the officers we highly respect!

Limbo.

It is interesting to me that you feel insulted on behalf of the officials. How is it that a slight on them could make you feel insulted. I believe that you are Thai and perhaps if you can answer this I will have a better understanding of Thai culture or at least of you, Mr. Limbo.

Also, I think that the foreigners that you insult in your post are not here to defend themselves against your remarks just as the officials are not here to defend against Thetyim's remarks. If you can explain how you can suggest that Thetyim develop a sensistivity that you find no need to implement then again perhaps I will have a better understanding of Thai culture or at least of you Mr. Limbo. And just one more comment, I do not feel in the least insulted on behalf of the foreigners you described.

Chownah

Since my previous post was more a conversation with Mr. Limbo and a bit off topic I thought it would be good if I actually contributed to furthering the topic here since I have alot of experience with the MaiSai immigration officials.

When I go to MaiSai I have never had a major problem and I have been almost always treated with courtesy and promptness. Back when the immigration office was at the old location about 1km from the border it was a different scenerio. The one officer who seemed to be in charge of the counter where passports were processed was rude and officious. This officer acted as if they were the only thing that mattered and that she was a bit put off that a foreigner would interupt her to have their passports processed. If this officer found you in some way offensive this officer would stall on getting the approval for your passport or ask you some stupid question (the answer being clearly obvious) to harrass you. That is the bad part of this story...now on to the good part.....since they moved to the new location at the border this person no longer has the prerogative to hassle you and this little discomfort has been removed from my regular journeys to Burma and back.

One other sort of amusing thing is that when Burma required US dollars awhile back the officers were exchanging money for tourists who didn't have US dollars with them and they were probably making several thousand baht per day doing this....they weren't being too blatant about it and only making about 20 baht off each transaction...I went to the bank and exchanged money to get the dollars and took the exchange rate slip with me and showed the people in line how much cheaper it was at the bank and as you would expect the more basic looking back packer types left to head for the bank but the older more middle class looking people just smiled and went ahead and exchanged with the immigration officials....the officials really gave me dirty looks but they processed me politely and quickly inspite of their displeasure...a sign of their professionalism I think.

And just one more comment, I do not feel in the least insulted on behalf of the foreigners you described.

Chownah

Thanks for that Khun Chownah!

There are hundreds of foreigners passing through that office. And an overwhelming majority behaves correctly. I am sure you belong to them, so you don't have to identify yourself with the less well behaving minority.

But there is only a small group of officers concerned.

So I am not really sure if your comparison is right in this case.

And of course I am a foreigner, otherwise I wouldn't have visited this office for so many years.

But maybe we should think a little bit less in terms of foreigners and Thai. And certainly less in terms of foreigners versus Thai.

We are all living in this country and we are all humans.

I admire and love Thai culture. By learning about it I enriched my thinking, yes my being. In Europe (and I am sure in America as well) we expect immigrants to respect our culture and to integrate. We all know that this process is not going the way we would like to see.

Don't we, as immigrants in Thailand, have the duty as well to study Thai culture and let this be our guide for our behaviour?

Disrespect for Thai officials doesn't seem to be a good start to me.

Limbo.

Thanks Mr. Thethyim and Mr. Chownah for your sportive reactions.

The general accusation against the officers of the Immigration Police in Maesai is off the table and back to human proportions.

What remains are exceptions of the rule.

As everywhere these exist.

Limbo.

The general accusation against the officers of the Immigration Police in Maesai is off the table and back to human proportions.

I am sorry Limbo I do not understand that sentence.

Are you saying that we cannot discuss it further ?

I my self have had very good service at the Mae Sai border crossing. This is including getting documents like local driving licenses. Mae Sai immigration got my respect. They do their job, just as well as anybody else do their jobs. I have seen and heard stories about rude behaving forreigners. A story is a forreigner with an over stay, declining to pay the fine.

Anyways, if You seem like you are in a hurry, which might be the case with out you knowing it. There should not be a single immigration officer that would not start to ask you quistions. This is exactly what they are looking for!

I am sorry Limbo I do not understand that sentence.

Are you saying that we cannot discuss it further ?

Of course Thetyim, I didn't mean to say that.

It was the wording of your first comment I protested against.

You talked very generally about 'Maesai Immigration'.

So you were including all these fantastic officers I highly respect.

Later you specified it to some lower ranking officers who are working at the bridge.

And you mentioned one in special. I don't know if we are talking about the same person, but as far as I know she is gone.

Aside from the foreigners there also might have been some colleagues who were not really happy with the way she was handling things.

Good luck next time in Maesai!

Limbo

In this instance I have to agree completely with Limbo about Maisai immigration,they have been very courtous and always deal with you in a very

professional way.When you read and hear of all the corruption and graft in Thailand it makes me happy that I have never had a single problem with immigration and it is always a joy to cross the border at Maisai.

Limbo,

I do not want to name the officier here on a public forum and maybe cause trouble for everyone.

How about I PM you his name and then you can tell me if you know him

If he is unknown to you then we can assume he was a rotten apple and has moved on. If he is known to you then we can compare our experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
In this instance I have to agree completely with Limbo about Maisai immigration,they have been very courtous and always deal with you in a very

professional way.When you read and hear of all the corruption and graft in Thailand it makes me happy that I have never had a single problem with immigration and it is always a joy to cross the border at Maisai.

:o Shame Shame,

The Maisai Immigration officers are very helpful and very polite. I met one at my friends house who did a home visit and he was very nice. He did his best to answer my questions in english and was very good to my friend aplying for his visa extention. Maybe you were having bad day or just had some hate on for the Thai that day? You are a guest in this country and things here are not like back home! One bad experience with an immigration offical doesn't warrant dissing the whole office.

Living here can be difficult at times however have you ever tried paying an RCMP officer money to look the other way for a traffic violation?

Soooooo remember take the good days with the bad ones as this is Pardise compared to home!

Sorry you had a bad experience :D

Limbo has not replied so I guess he does not want to discuss this further.

And Thomas I did not have a bad day there,  I had three bad days .

Yesterday I drove an old friend to Maesai for his three montly walk over the bridge (non-immigrant O multiple). He is 77 years old and since his last visit of the Intensive Care Unit of the Overbrook Hosptal in Chiang Rai, he isn't a champion anymore in filling in forms.

The officer on duty was very friendly and did it, painstaking exactly, for him.

Very nice for my old friend.

Dear Mr. Thetyim, did you happen to stand in the impatient row behind him? :o

Limbo.

Yesterday I drove an old friend to Maesai for his three montly walk over the bridge (non-immigrant O multiple). He is 77 years old and since his last visit of the Intensive Care Unit of the Overbrook Hosptal in Chiang Rai, he isn't a champion anymore in filling in forms.

The officer on duty was very friendly and did it, painstaking exactly, for him.

Very nice for my old friend.

Dear Mr. Thetyim, did you happen to stand in the impatient row behind him? :o

Limbo.

Mr. Limbo, You seem to have a need to promote the goodness of the immigration officers at Mae Sai. Are you one of them? If not then what's up? Chownah

Edited by chownah

I can back Limbo on this. I've always found the people at Mae Sai to be friendly and professional. To be honest, I've never had a bad time with Thai immigration at all, which is more than I can say for when I return home. :o

cv

I can back Limbo on this. I've always found the people at Mae Sai to be friendly and professional. To be honest, I've never had a bad time with Thai immigration at all, which is more than I can say for when I return home.  :o

cv

I haven't had a problem there for a long time either....I'm just wondering if Mr. Limbo is a Thai immigration official and that's why he's so intent on promoting their good qualities. There is no sinister intent here....just wondering....maybe he just likes immigration people....the uniforms?...

Edited by chownah

I haven't had a problem there for a long time either....I'm just wondering if Mr. Limbo is a Thai immigration official and that's why he's so intent on promoting their good qualities. There is no sinister intent here....just wondering....maybe he just likes immigration people....the uniforms?...

No Mr. Chownah,

I am talking about the people who are wearing the uniforms. And as a foreigner living in Chiang Rai I am very happy that the officers of the Immigration Office of Maesai give such a good professional service.

And reading the postings of Cdnvic, Thomas and Tayto I think I am not the only one.

I hope this thread contributes to a more positive attitude towards the officers.

They deserve it!

Limbo.

PS. To feed your suspicion: The new Super Intendent of Chiang Rai Police deserves all honor as well. He was the host of the big bikers meeting yesterday in Chiang Rai Town.

The 'Rotors' from Chiang Mai were here, the 'Rangers' of Chiang Rai, a lot of individual bikers from all over the province, the vintage Vespa-club, the younger kids with their 40/50 years old Honda's 50 and 70cc and many other bike-lovers.

I guess about 250 participants. It was a great show.

During the parade and in his speech the Super Intendent made an appeal to all youngsters to take an example from the big bikers: Wear your helmet always!

I think it is a very sympatic approach.

It is police and hospital staff who know best what misery is caused by not wearing helmets. They see the victims everyday.

If I would be a parent in Chiang Rai to-day and have kids driving motorbikes, I would send him a bunch of flowers.

To answer your question: No, I am not a police official either!

No Mr. Chownah,

I am talking about the people who are wearing the uniforms. And as a foreigner living in Chiang Rai I am very happy that the officers of the Immigration Office of Maesai give such a good professional service.

And reading the postings of Cdnvic, Thomas and Tayto I think I am not the only one.

I hope this thread contributes to a more positive attitude towards the officers.

They deserve it!

Limbo.

PS. To feed your suspicion: The new Super Intendent of Chiang Rai Police deserves all honor as well. He was the host of the big bikers meeting yesterday in Chiang Rai Town.

The 'Rotors' from Chiang Mai were here, the 'Rangers' of Chiang Rai, a lot of individual bikers from all over the province, the vintage Vespa-club, the younger kids with their 40/50 years old Honda's 50 and 70cc and many other bike-lovers.

I guess about 250 participants. It was a great show.

During the parade and in his speech the Super Intendent made an appeal to all youngsters to take an example from the big bikers: Wear your helmet always!

I think it is a very sympatic approach.

It is police and hospital staff who know best what misery is caused by not wearing helmets. They see the victims everyday.

If I would be a parent in Chiang Rai to-day and have kids driving motorbikes, I would send him a bunch of flowers.

To answer your question: No, I am not a police official either!

Oops! How do I reply to these posts. A newbee. Sorry

Edited by chiangrai57020

:D I'm sorry to here it went so bad for you there. Hopefully your next visit won't be so bad. food for though I was standing in a bank lineup a while back and there was a western gentleman aged about 70 in front of me. I said to him oh my god the Thai are slow these bank lineups are horrible. He smiled and said relax tomorrow you will completely forget about even being here! I paused for a moment to take in his comment and then realized he was right.

We all wish things here could be somewhat more western but once agian the truth is there not!

Try to remember Thai education is 1/4 of ours and 99.9% of most Thai have never been to another country! So how are they suppose to know what the real world is really like!

I'm sure that after your being here for sometime you are aware of the massive lack of formal education in this country. It's sad to see a country that wants to keep their citizens uneducated. Oh my gosh if they all had an western educations and could travel to other countries freely, how could all the wealthy and upper class thai keep robbing the system?

This Country has exploded since the fall in 1997 and they have done a fairly good job concidering there above mentioned situation.

I have had the opportunity to be in many countries on this planet and having to put up with some <deleted> official for a day or two just doesn't seem to matter to me anymore as I think to myself thing could be worse I could be freezing my butt off in Canada and being taxed to death!

So once again I say sorry you had a bad experience, try to think of the good things that Thailand offers :o There isn't many scooters with cute young girls on them in unifroms riding around in my country, How about yours?

Always look on the bright side of life :D

Try to remember Thai education is 1/4 of ours and 99.9% of most Thai have never been to another country! So how are they suppose to know what the real world is really like!

Try to remember that Thai education concerning inner culture is 4 times more than ours. So how are we supposed to know what real inner culture is really like !

• 2 months later...

Reading elsewhere in thaivisa.com about the limited authority concerning retirement and/or marriage visa of the Immigration Offices in Hua Hin and Nongkai I think we can praise ourselves lucky with the Immigration Office of Maesai. Full service and great staff!

Don't forget your threemonthly visit!

You might not have to cross the border, but even being too late to Notify Your Staying Longer Than Ninety Days is considered over-stay.

If it only concerns a day or two the officers might show an accommodating attitude, but if longer you have to pay 200 Baht a day.

It just happened to a friend of me. 10 Days, 2000 Baht (an equivalent of a good meal in the Wiang Inn Hotel and a digestive massage on the same premises - make your choice!).

Limbo :o

So the world in Thailand is not 'real'? :D

And what does the everage yank or aussie know about Thailand, or Asia, or anywhere else? :o

But, I concede, I am frequrntly amazed by the lack of knowledge when I ask visiting Thais to find their homecountry on the world map (bought from a Thai street stall) which hangs on my wall! :D