S.Korea Orders Residents In Yeonpyeong Island Evacuated To Shelters - Reuters Witness

george

Firing heard near S.Korea island, people ordered to shelter

Agence France-Presse

First Posted 10:41:00 11/28/2010

Filed Under: Conflicts (general), Military

YEONPYEONG ISLAND—(UPDATE) Artillery fire was heard near a South Korean border island on Sunday soon after people there were ordered to take shelter in bunkers, YTN television reported.

The reason for the military's loudspeaker order was not immediately clear. Dozens of reporters were on Yeonpyeong, along with a number of residents.

Hundreds more residents fled to the mainland after the North bombarded the island last Tuesday, killing two civilians and two marines and setting homes ablaze.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-11-28

N.Korea however said that the joint exercise is a provocation and allegedly could be violating their territorial waters (however, since the nations are still at war I would say that neither 'nation' has set territorial waters, only a matter of will to fight...) and that in itself was a good enough reason to resort to aggression.

S.Korea fire one shell in training = N.Korea can fire one shell into a S.Korea village, killing people.

I wonder how much food-deficiency a brain has to suffer through to make this logic work out...

N.Korea however said that the joint exercise is a provocation and allegedly could be violating their territorial waters (however, since the nations are still at war I would say that neither 'nation' has set territorial waters, only a matter of will to fight...) and that in itself was a good enough reason to resort to aggression.

S.Korea fire one shell in training = N.Korea can fire one shell into a S.Korea village, killing people.

I wonder how much food-deficiency a brain has to suffer through to make this logic work out...

Iraq do not attack USA, USA lie about WMD and atack iraq killing thousands,

I wonder how much overeating a brain has to suffer to make this logic work out.

random:: Your boring mis-direction is off-topic. And as much as I disagree with the decision to enter Iraq, Saddam had a history of starting wars (2 of them) and actively (monetarily) supported suicide-attacks in the Gaza strip and Israel (by pledging donations to families of those that chose to become martyrs).

And the US has not been proven to have lied about WMD, they have however been proven to been taking sold information at face value from former Iraqi officials - information that in many cases turned out to be exaggerated or incorrect.

North Korea must have had some reason for shelling South Korea.

Those of us who have spent time in south east Asia know that the thinking

is completely different.

Multiply that by 10 for an isolated Stalinist regime and

you have total misunderstanding.

After trawling the Internet I find reference to the Asia Foundation.

They are yet another front for covert US activities.

I wonder what they may have done this time

however well intentioned they may have been.

Sorry cannot be more specific.

It really is a mystery.

If anyone knows more or better please let us know.

Iraq do not attack USA, USA lie about WMD and atack iraq killing thousands,

Iraq repeatedly refused weapons inspectors and had developed and used WMDs on the Kurds. Saddam brought the war on himself and his regime. :whistling:

Sigh. North Korea is merely rattling their sabre for the umpteenth time purely to make won fall from the heavily-laden KRX sky.

They've been on the 'brink of war' since 1953. Kim Jong Il has - quite successfully - made the Korea Exchange his personal yo-yo, for decades. I don't know why everyone pretends otherwise, tripping over themselves in a rush to play along with Nth Korea's sabre-rattling money-train - desperately hypothesising on various abstract / insane 'theories' to explain away the obvious.

It must frustrate the hell out of South Korean nationalists. Or...maybe not? Being in a state of perpetual war (charade or not) hasn't really been unkind to the Sth Korean economy - even if they have to pay a northern piper.

But of course, I could be wrong. lol. Kim Jong Il might be the only person in the world with the ability to KNOW the immediate future performance of the world's 15th largest stock exchange...and somehow fail to realise he could capitalise on that.

Taking the nation to the 'brink' of nuclear war to earn his son some "battle stripes" is what the analysts are saying. lol.

Yeah. Because that's WAY more plausible / sensible than simple market manipulation. What a world....

Edited by TheyCallmeScooter

FOX Business: Korean Conflict Sparks Early Selloff

Guardian: Shares fall on fears over North Korean Attack

Bloomberg: U.K. Stocks Fall as North Korea Shells Neighbor

Wall Street Journal: Markets Broadly Rattled By Korea Tensions

Financial Times: S Korean stocks tumble

South Korean stocks fell as reports of the artillery bombardment of Yeonpyeong island reached trading desks in Seoul just prior to the close.

The benchmark Kospi index fell 0.8% to 1,928.94 while Kospi index futures tumbled as much as 2.4% after the dramatic escalaltion of military tensions in the wake of North Korea's attack.

South Korean defence shares rose with military equipment producer Victek jumping 4.7%.

Hong Kong's Hang Seng index tumbled to its biggest drop in six months, down 2.7% to 22,896.14, while the Shanghai Composite lost 1.9% to 2,828.28, a six-week low.

1. Rattle sabre.

2. Ca-ching.

3. Still the sabre, so that it jingles no longer.

4. Ca-ching.

5. Laugh for a bit. Few months or a few years, whatever.

6. Rinse.

7. Repeat.

------------

It probably looks more complex than it really is. And it doesn't look complex. True genius never does.

Some nuke-creating joker once said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Some nuke-loving genius read that and improved it via Inverse. The definition of sanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same results.

Easy game.

North Korea must have had some reason for shelling South Korea.

Those of us who have spent time in south east Asia know that the thinking

is completely different.

Multiply that by 10 for an isolated Stalinist regime and

you have total misunderstanding.

After trawling the Internet I find reference to the Asia Foundation.

They are yet another front for covert US activities.

I wonder what they may have done this time

however well intentioned they may have been.

Sorry cannot be more specific.

It really is a mystery.

If anyone knows more or better please let us know.

The particular island we're talking about: Yeonpyeong which was attacked by N Korean fire belongs to a group of 5 tiny islands* who are closer to North Korea than South Korea and are in fact just south of the so called NLL line -Northern Limit Line- (see article) which line was determined by S Korea and the USA but disputed by N Korea who follow (in their optic) still the more logical and fair DMZ -Demilitarised Zone- line (on land).

Of course, S Korea/USA follow the NLL Line which follows the coast line of N Korea far up North; much to the frustration of N Korea.

* "These islands are now something of a strategic albatross round South Korea's neck, for the ships and ferries which supply them are literally in the gun sights of North Korean coastal artillery, anti-shipping missiles and patrol boats.

But though they may be defensively ill-sited, they do provide South Korea with a useful balcony from which to spy on the North Korean coast, and during the war, offshore islands were frequently used as staging areas for partisan operations and raids"

This article may clarify the complex situation a little further:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-11839284

LaoPo

China calls for emergency talks amid Korea crisis

_50183651_010726548-1.jpg The US is carrying out military exercises with the South

China has called for an emergency meeting of key nations amid tension in Korea over the North's deadly shelling of a Southern island.

It proposed that members of the six nations that have been taking part in talks on North Korean nuclear disarmament should meet in December.

The two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia are involved in the talks.

Correspondents say South Korea's response has been non-committal and that it will consult other countries.

Continues here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-11856454

LaoPo

you only forget to mention the most important thing. This is not a continuation of the nuclear issue in NK, but only for the most recent issue of aggressive attack from NK. on SK.

Mom likes to buy time for it's son kinda stuff.

Edited by elcent