Seven Northern Provinces Warned Of Flash Floods

george

Seven Northern provinces warned of flash floods; Chiang Mai soon to get reprieve

CHIANG MAI: -- Even as the Meteorological Department announced a flash flood warning alert for seven northern provinces, Chiang Mai received good news regarding lessened future flood prospects.

Flash floods from nearby Doi Suthep will no longer inundate this former northern capital beginning this rainy season as a new underground storm sewer system will be completed by the end of this month, said a senior officer.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department in the North announced that more rains would hit the seven northern provinces, including Chiang Mai, today. It warned people living in lowlying areas to be on alert for possible flash floods.

But for Chiang Mai in the future: Not to worry. Air Vice Marshal Thirachat Palakul, who oversees solving flooding problems in western and southern parts of Chiang Mai airport, said both areas were formerly heavily flooded during the monsoon season due to flash floods flowed from the mountain, but such dangers would soon be in the past.

A new underground storm sewer--large pipes for emergency rainwater runoff--running for 10 kilometres was built after Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra allocated Bt 258 million to divert water flowing from the mountain into a canal and to the Ping River, he said.

By the end of this month, a water pumping station will be completed and will be handed over to the Irrigation Department which will be responsible for opening and closing water gates as well as operating the water pumps, he said, adding that he was optimistic that no more severe flooding will be seen in

the inner districts of the city.

--TNA 2005-08-13

A new underground storm sewer--large pipes for emergency rainwater runoff--running for 10 kilometres was built after Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra allocated Bt 258 million to divert water flowing from the mountain into a canal and  to the Ping River, he said.

Presumably adding more potential floodwaters to the river(?).

The road I live on is next to the Ping River -- it was torn up for a year while they installed 4x4 meter drainage pipes under the two-lane road. What an ordeal -- it's the only road in and out and it was often completely closed off. They installed a narrow steel plate that spanned the huge trench so we could access the compound, but in the slick rain and no guardrails, it was interesting in a car -- the trench could swallow half the car. Some days we were completely cut off and just had to stay home.

The system feeds into a site for a treatment plant, but I'm not sure if it was built.

At any rate the company seemed professional (River Engineering from BKK) -- we got to know them well as they were a overwhelming part of our comminity down here for a year. Our neighbor lady even had an obgoing affair with the head engineer. He would pop over at lunchtime and spend the day.

When that project was finally done they moved on to upgrade that stench-filled canal that runs behind the Night Bazaar. It ends up somewhere south of the airport superhighway. Work on that has stopped while they await further funding.

Anyway after all that sturm-und-drang hope the ######*d thing works.

Saraphi lowlands along the Ping are flooded but the Saraphi Road is still accessable. In Chiang Mai, the Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road in front of the TOT office and Rimping Market area is knee deep in water. The areas near Floral condominum are flooded. In the six years that I've lived here this is the worst. I would guess that if the Ping River rises another 30cm the Warorot Market will start taking water.

Saraphi lowlands along the Ping are flooded but the Saraphi Road is still accessable. In Chiang Mai, the Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road in front of the TOT office and Rimping Market area is knee deep in water. The areas near Floral condominum are flooded. In the six years that I've lived here this is the worst. I would guess that if the Ping River rises another 30cm the Warorot Market will start taking water.

I just tried to go to town. The road (Chang Klan Road south of the highway underpass -- "the River Road") is flooded and closed both to the North and South of me. Big fancy houses along the river are flooded. Wat Kun Kaam (the very orginal temple in all of Chiang Mai) across the river from us looks under threat and dump trucks are bringing in rock and sand to try to shore up that area. There are big bunches of bamboo, smaller trees, chunks of debris washing by. Just near us the river actually has developed strong rapids.

Small sois around here are now fast-flowing creeks and large tracts of land away from the riverbank are flooded at about the height of a pickup truck tire (I saw one stuck).

No where to go, people finding scooters or bicycles the best mode of meandering around -- a bit of a party atmosphere is developing (of course not for the homeowners). Luckily our compound is a bit higher so no threat yet. But with the ground that saturated water will have no where to go but up if it rains again (skies are clearing, but still dark in areas).

Sorry I'm stuck at home so I will bother readers with another update: Nong Hoi Market area is flooded. The police barracks along the Ping are flooded and all their cars are parked on the highway making for traffic problems. Hang-Dong Road and Airport Plaza area are not flooded, so maybe the new drainage system worked.

What are the flood areas in Chiang Mai ?

As I will be looking for a place to rent in a couple of months and see regular warnings about not renting in a flood area, now seems to be the time to check this out.

But unfortunately retirement will start first in a couple of months and I will arrive in November and previously have been in Chiang Mai mostly in the dry season so that does not help much. :o

I will be looking mostly south-east and close to town, e.g. Nong Hoi, Padaet, Moobaan Siriwattana or perhaps Nathong View at the intersection Kaew Nawarat – first ringroad.

Is there a map of flood areas somewhere or could someone fill me in on the situation in these parts of town ?

Thanks, Joop

Flooded areas include the usual Nong Hoi and Saraphee. This flood is worse than any other because it has now crept up to Sanpakoy, Warorot market, Tesabahn, Night Bazaar. Some areas of Chang Moi now flooded. It has advanced to Wat Loykroh on Loykroh Rd.

Really bad along Charoenprathet and areas off Om Muang Rd., Pa Daet etc

Watch out tonight when they are releasing water from Mae Ngad Dam; about 2am is the crucial time.

For Thai speakers tune into 92.5 FM on the radio, keeps you up to date by the minute.

My phone lines have been out from 11 a.m. until now, 10:30 p.m. Probably due to flooding in the area. Our auto mechanic, who has one of our cars now, whose shop is at Chiang Mai Land, says water is knee-to-waist-deep. That area is more than one kilometer from the river. He has put our car up on a hoist and hopes the water won't rise. Our neighbor, whos is a farang, said his friend's internet shop at Chiang Mai Land was flooded in the middle of the night last night and all computers damaged; cars in the area have been flooded, their interiors damaged and abandoned for right now.

A friend who has a convenience store up the road (which is flooded and closed) said her mother's house nearby is chest-deep in water. An associate of mine who lives in central Chiang Mai city on the river says his first floor is flooded.

We are talking by cellphone right now to people we know...

The rumor in the area is that the authorities have to open dam floodgates upriver to relieve the pressure - - we have heard between 2 to 5 a.m.

We just went out again and looked at the river. To my eye it seems to be dissapating a bit, but I could be wrong.

We're going to sleep downstairs tonight so at least we'll know if the water has entered.

This is the fifth flood I've seen, but this one could be different. It happened literally overnight and seems to have spread further than the others I've seen.

This is the fifth flood I've seen, but this one could be different. It happened literally overnight and seems to have spread further than the others I've seen.

There must be an awful lot of water coming from upstream as of Saturday because it really hasn't been raining all that much in Chiang Mai city proper. It did rain overnight in town on Friday but it was certainly not a downpour.

There's no doubt this is the BIG ONE after the last big flood in 94 (I think it was.)

But this one is much much bigger! It a real serious flood.

Today, I did the Phrao - Chiang Dao loop today checking out the devastation up country, and I was shocked to see that the Ping river had come right across the road R107 north of the Chiang Dao elephant camp. Unbelievable. I checked out a couple of houses road side at Sop Khap & they said the flood came through at 5.00 am yesterday (Saturday) & the water was at roof top level. You copuld see this clearly.

On R1150 between Ping Khong & Phrao you can see places where the road has been a river, as the streams, were not able to cope with the volume of water.

I also checked out the Mae Ngat dam 4.00 pm this arvo & the water was not up to the spillway on the east side, so I don’t quite understand the report about them releasing water.

The good news was that I did the full 250 kms loop in overcast & dry, sometimes sunny weather, so guess that the rain & flooding has “gone.”

Tomorrow off to Pai to check out the damage.

Good job.....

I remember '94 and it closed most of the businesses in central Chiang Mai. From the reports that seem to be coming in, this may indeed be the big one. In '94 it rained for a week or so and it seemed like we expected it. This one suprizes me

From the OP

But for Chiang Mai in the future: Not to worry. Air Vice Marshal Thirachat Palakul, who oversees solving flooding problems in  western and southern parts of Chiang Mai airport, said both areas were formerly heavily flooded during the monsoon season due to flash floods flowed from the mountain, but such dangers would soon be in the past.

A new underground storm sewer--large pipes for emergency rainwater runoff--running for 10 kilometres was built after Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra allocated Bt 258 million to divert water flowing from the mountain into a canal and  to the Ping River, he said.

By the end of this month, a water pumping station will be completed and will be handed over to the Irrigation Department which will be responsible for opening and closing water gates as well as operating the water pumps, he said, adding that he was optimistic that no more severe flooding will be seen in

the inner districts of the city.

--TNA 2005-08-13

I live almost dead centre in the old city and my soi has always been one of the first to flood if there's heavy rain on the Doi Suthep / Doi Pui massif - no sign of anything this weekend, so I guess his measures are having an effect here.

Every year the Nong Hoi and southern Changklan areas (approx 1.5 km south of the night bazaar) flood, as does the Wieng Kum Kam area (anyone heard anything from there?), but this is the first time I've heard of the Night Bazaar going under.

Note from History - where Thapae Road crosses the Mae Kha canal is the original; site of the Thapae Gate - the area between that original gate and the current gate was totally destroyed in the mid-1500's by a flood, archival archaeology has yielded tentative evidence that, that flood was the same one that destroyed the city of Wieng Kum Kam. The dating is awfully close to the earthquake that knocked the top off the chedi at Wat Chedi Luang - Thai medieval chrionicles are noted for chronological and dating inaccuracies and the three events may have happened on the same day - just a possibility.

If you understand Thai, or if you have somebody around who can translate for you, 92.5 FM is supposed to have up to date reports on the flooding situation.

Otherwise I suggest you have a look at the News Clippings section here in Thaivisa Forum, it should be as fast as they come for the meantime.