Cheddar Cheese At Tops

sunholidaysun1

Bega Cheese , 250gr Pkt is available again at Tops Supermarket in town. Very Nice cheese for 179 bht , Enjoy

679 baht for 2 kg at Makro, if you have friends that like Cheddar Cheese willing to share or you eat a lot that works out @ 85 baht per 250 gr

Bega Cheese , 250gr Pkt is available again at Tops Supermarket in town. Very Nice cheese for 179 bht , Enjoy

679 baht for 2 kg at Makro, if you have friends that like Cheddar Cheese willing to share or you eat a lot that works out @ 85 baht per 250 gr

That is the one I buy and have been buying for a long time. Perfect for omelets, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and pretty darned good on burgers as well. One block lasts us quite a while. Good idea to grate some ahead of time and keep small portions grated, ready to throw into anything that needs it. I even cut up some small chinks to melt into a good bowl of chili now and then. Super.

I wonder is it so good at that price??

It's your basic mass produced cheddar, consumed by millions of average cheese eaters world wide.

Suitable for sandwiches, grilling, sauces etc.

If you want the more exotic cheese platter type varieties then be prepared to pay more and travel further a field to find them.

And it tastes like cardboard.

Go up to 790 Baht for NZ Cheddar and you have something just about palatable.

I dunno about that. I think I am a more discerning eater, as I have never tasted cardboard. I guess some of you are real bargain hunters.

OK - a more comprehensive answer would have been "it tastes like how I imagine cardboard must taste".

Clearer now ?

And it tastes like cardboard.

Go up to 790 Baht for NZ Cheddar and you have something just about palatable.

Yes normally go for the NZ Cheddar, but a couple of weeks ago it had gone up to 900 something baht, bit expensive to use on/in cooking food

I dunno about that. I think I am a more discerning eater, as I have never tasted cardboard. I guess some of you are real bargain hunters.

OK - a more comprehensive answer would have been "it tastes like how I imagine cardboard must taste".

Clearer now ?

I was content with your first answer. The second one is more disturbing. You have too much spare time for imagining things.

Edited by kandahar

Clearer now ?

I was content with your first answer. The second one is more disturbing. You have too much spare time for imagining things.

:cheesy: Oh Dear ! I spend much of my time imagining things !

Well, a little clarification.

Northern Farms in Chiang Mai sells Anchor brand New Zealand cheddar for 480 B/kilo.

I would imagine the price is about the same in Chiang Rai at the Northern Farms outlet there.

The Anchor is not quite as tasty, or aged as long as the Mainland Vintage NZ cheddar, but still quite palatable.

Bega is in the same category as the Anchor.

Save some money OP; go to Northern Farms for a small piece or big piece at 480 B/kilo.

Or go to Makro and buy a 2 kilo block for 679, as Kandahar mentioned.

I can't eat cheese anymore, I just discovered I have a serious lactose intolerance.

Bummer, because I really like a good aged cheddar, or Camembert, or bufalo mozzarella. :licklips::ermm:

Well, a little clarification.

Northern Farms in Chiang Mai sells Anchor brand New Zealand cheddar for 480 B/kilo.

I would imagine the price is about the same in Chiang Rai at the Northern Farms outlet there.

The Anchor is not quite as tasty, or aged as long as the Mainland Vintage NZ cheddar, but still quite palatable.

Bega is in the same category as the Anchor.

Save some money OP; go to Northern Farms for a small piece or big piece at 480 B/kilo.

Or go to Makro and buy a 2 kilo block for 679, as Kandahar mentioned.

I can't eat cheese anymore, I just discovered I have a serious lactose intolerance.

Bummer, because I really like a good aged cheddar, or Camembert, or bufalo mozzarella. :licklips::ermm:

The Anchor 2kg block is 790 at Makro. 480 a kilo is more than a Pound (Sterling) for 100 g - <deleted>, for a fairly 'ordinary' cheddar.

Your lactose tolerance my be a blessing in disguise for a mature cheese lover.

Agree completely.

The OP is posting he is paying a little more that 1.5 GBP for 100 g at Tops; I was trying to steer him in the direction of paying about 33% less at Northern Farms, or way less at Makro if he wishes a 2 kg block.

To my taste, the Mainland Vintage cheddar from NZ is the bee's knees here in LOS.

Usually around 180 B or so for 250 g.

OK SKINFLINTS, keep shopping at Makro or Northern Farms for your CHEAP NZ(what the hell is that )Cheese. Sweaty plastic wrapped 1kg of non-tasty block of lard. :D

Obviously some of you have no <deleted> taste buds :D

Sunnys been out on the pickled onions and probably a glass or two of beaverholt. B)

maybe this thread belongs in the food section of thaivisa . Seems cheese is far too important a thing these days. I can make my own if I don't wash often. I'll offer sunny disp some at the next Potluck :(

Heres a special request from brian for Sunnyholiday B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92luoiRJBVU

OK SKINFLINTS, keep shopping at Makro or Northern Farms for your CHEAP NZ(what the hell is that )Cheese. Sweaty plastic wrapped 1kg of non-tasty block of lard. :D

Obviously some of you have no <deleted> taste buds :D

Sunnys been out on the pickled onions and probably a glass or two of beaverholt. B)

maybe this thread belongs in the food section of thaivisa . Seems cheese is far too important a thing these days. I can make my own if I don't wash often. I'll offer sunny disp some at the next Potluck :(

Heres a special request from brian for Sunnyholiday B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92luoiRJBVU

Another classic cheers MARRA.:rolleyes:

It's called plumber's crack in the Ewe Ess of Eh.

Back on thread, cheddar cheese at Tops, or Northern Farm, or Makro...all good....:rolleyes:

Well seeing as you are so good at throwing names about can you enlighten an unenlightened one where to find Tops & Northern Farm in Chiang Rai??

I know Big C & Makro so no need to be too generous.

Also big thx to SunHol for sharing knowledge rather than being negative about things that can benefit some of us poor ignorant forum readers

Edited by raylo

Back on thread, cheddar cheese at Tops, or Northern Farm, or Makro...all good....:rolleyes:

Well seeing as you are so good at throwing names about can you enlighten an unenlightened one where to find Tops & Northern Farm in Chiang Rai??

Also big thx to SunHol for sharing knowledge rather than being negative about things that can benefit some of us poor ignorant forum readers

What ever you're on, can I have some :rolleyes:

Quote: "What ever you're on, can I have some :rolleyes: "

Hi Will. I would guess it is the same thing SD is on and you probably don't want to go down that road. I know I don't. I prefer reality.

Edited by kandahar

Go to the Google Map in the pinned section. You can find both Northern Farm and the two Top-shops there!

:);):D