Elephant Trekking

STEALTH K3

Going to Chang Mai fancy having a day out with the elephants I want to be sure that my money goes to the welfare and upkeep of the animals is there any good recommendations of companys offering this. I have seen the elephants in Pattaya so I would like my money going to a worthy cause.

Going to Chang Mai fancy having a day out with the elephants I want to be sure that my money goes to the welfare and upkeep of the animals is there any good recommendations of companys offering this.  I have seen the elephants in Pattaya so I would like my money going to a worthy cause.

Contrary to popular belief, elephants are not a particularly comfortable mode of transportation for long periods of time unless you happen to have an enclosed howdah filled with pillows and some willing concubines. But it is worth taking an hour or so ride. There are a number of good elephant camps, including the largest, the Mae Sa Camp, and a few smaller camps further up the Mae Sa Valley and a few up above Mae Teng. Tours to all these places can be easily arranged or you can simply drop in. All the camps do their best to provide for the welfare of the animals, but remember to tip your elephant driver, the mahout, even if the camp manager says it is unnecessary as they care for the elephants far more than they care about the lowly and underpaid mahouts.