Farang And Issan

chrispetchabun

I saw this on a post today, I was interested in the average Thai salary.

"I think that's why foreigners almost always have poor Isaan girlfriends and never educated Bangkokians. To a poor country girl you are well off, but to an educated urbanite you're nothing. That's why wealthy Thais stick together, and poor Thais leech off the stupid farang."

My view on this is sometimes farang prefers poor Issan girlfriend because he's fed up with educated urbanite leeches. Plenty of them in London.

Personally I'm not interested in educated urbanites from Bangkok. I'm a total amateur when it comes to this posting thing, but I have considerable experience of Thailand.

Country girl ( I don't particularly like the collective word Issan) can decide. Up to her. Up to you.

I've been in Bangkok many times and when faced with the question: "Why you with her?" I brazen it out. Doesn't even require great bravery.

We all fall in love, we all get hurt, we all get ripped off. Same for country girl.

Keep the faith.

My guess is if anybody replies to this it will be about 95 negative, 5 positive.

We all know there are plenty of farang losers in Thailand.

Give me a country girl on a motor bike rather than a euro girl in a Mercedes Benz any day.

I'm happy to pick up the tab.

No offense to anybody.

Regards.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full marks bangkokboro. We can post ourselves to death about Issan and Bangkok girls.

Does she love me or does she just want my money?

Farang problem, not Thai.

Trick is to find a Thai girl who understands farang.

Last post.

Regards.

Nice one bangkokboro. I told you I was an amateur at this posting thing.

Didn't realise being single in Thailand was a negative!

Well you just never know where or what your Quan Tah might be.

We am the quintessential odd couple.

Me: 2 Masters Degrees, a millionaire several times, broke a bunch of times, 4 previous wives, and a world traveler/adventure.

Her: 3 years of school in a small Issan village left home at 15, worked as maid/nanny, then started sewing business.

We met in a restaurant in BKK when the waitress could not understand my Thai. She was 29 me 58. Now married 15 years, and I could not have a better pardner in life. She has accumulated a stack of Chanotes about an inch thick, from lending money, and is attending a college to learn more now that she is in her 40's. We live very comfortably in a very large home, and she take good care of me.

So I am here to testify that sometimes these things do work out.

Occasionally I will have some condescending remarks about her because of her English. I just say, "If you are having a herd time understanding her, maybe you should talk to her in one of the other 3 languages she speaks".

When I lived in Oklahoma, I would often go out with my parents to cafeteria style dining which was then popular with the older crowd... My Father would on occasion say something like: "See that elderly couple there? They have oil & gas properties worth about 100 million dollars ..." just sitting there unobtrusively with everyone else.

I have rarely met people with a lot of money who talk about having a lot of money; in fact they like to hang out with persons who show no particular interest in having money which is why my Father in Oklahoma and Florida could always have a golf game with persons of staggering wealth.

Such persons would hardly be likely to say 'I'm up 90% this year on widgets .. how about you?''

When I lived in Oklahoma, I would often go out with my parents to cafeteria style dining which was then popular with the older crowd... My Father would on occasion say something like: "See that elderly couple there? They have oil & gas properties worth about 100 million dollars ..." just sitting there unobtrusively with everyone else.

I have rarely met people with a lot of money who talk about having a lot of money; in fact they like to hang out with persons who show no particular interest in having money which is why my Father in Oklahoma and Florida could always have a golf game with persons of staggering wealth.

Such persons would hardly be likely to say 'I'm up 90% this year on widgets .. how about you?''

OK Guys, especially GM1955.

Money, style and love.

If farang loves the Thai woman, and her family, and is able and happy to provide, he can't do more than that.

I don't see too many Thai blokes delivering on any of those.

Nor does the country girl from the North.

Farang does it with style or he doesn't do it all.

Good luck Gentlemen.

Regards.

Well you just never know where or what your Quan Tah might be.

We am the quintessential odd couple.

Me: 2 Masters Degrees, a millionaire several times, broke a bunch of times, 4 previous wives, and a world traveler/adventure.

Her: 3 years of school in a small Issan village left home at 15, worked as maid/nanny, then started sewing business.

We met in a restaurant in BKK when the waitress could not understand my Thai. She was 29 me 58. Now married 15 years, and I could not have a better pardner in life. She has accumulated a stack of Chanotes about an inch thick, from lending money, and is attending a college to learn more now that she is in her 40's. We live very comfortably in a very large home, and she take good care of me.

So I am here to testify that sometimes these things do work out.

Occasionally I will have some condescending remarks about her because of her English. I just say, "If you are having a herd time understanding her, maybe you should talk to her in one of the other 3 languages she speaks".

Same same for me except never gone bust, met in coffee bar not restaurant, 2 years (+3 before marriage) not 15. Ages similar too and she is starting up micro finance (nice name for loan sharking your friends and neighbours). I could be your younger clone!

I just let all this stereotypical TV sh$t about Issaan girls wash in one ear and quickly out of the other.

You will always get negative responses to this type of post because Issan forum is a bit like a gentlemans club. There are hardly any ladies present, so you will never get a balanced view.

Its not masculine to express emotions. In male company it is seen as a weakness.

My friend in Pattaya has had more live -in "housekeepers" than buckingham palace in the five years he's been here. I've lost count. Then ,when they leave (escape)

he indignantly rants on about how ungrateful they are after getting 9k per month to clean,cook,wash,shop and look after him when he feels randy. Then,the rest of the time, he is usually shouting at them or degrading them in some way.

If you don't put more than cash into a relationship then it is business and caveat emptor

Edited by grimleybob

You will always get negative responses to this type of post because Issan forum is a bit like a gentlemans club. There are hardly any ladies present, so you will never get a balanced view.

Its not masculine to express emotions. In male company it is seen as a weakness.

My friend in Pattaya has had more live -in "housekeepers" than buckingham palace in the five years he's been here. I've lost count. Then ,when they leave (escape)

he indignantly rants on about how ungrateful they are after getting 9k per month to clean,cook,wash,shop and look after him when he feels randy. Then,the rest of the time, he is usually shouting at them or degrading them in some way.

If you don't put more than cash into a relationship then it is business and caveat emptor

I'm surprised how few negative posts there actually are grimleybob. Maybe we frightened them off.

GM 1955, bangkokboro, old wanderer, SantiSuk, Totster, jazzbo. I get the impression they are class acts.

Not sure about Totsters drinking habits (only messin') but I'd be happy to have a Singha Light with him and all of them.

West Ham are beating Man U 4-0. Carling Cup quarter final. Bloody cold in London.

All the best.

Chris

Regarding BKK urbanites and Isan country girls, either you like the one or the other, never both.

I'm an absolute admirer of as I call Isan village girls/women. To define: girls living in remote (rural) Isan villages, not small towns and cities as there starts the "urbanites" presence.

I live in such a small village in Isan, 75 km ESE of Udon thani, my own village has 300 inhabitants, the whole Tambon (9 villages) has about 6000 people.

The Tambon village is where the main school is and all important social gatherings take place.

It is there that you find these wonderful creatures, poor girls living in circumstances that you and I would not accept if you had a choice. They don't have a choice. I regularly pass those wooden houses on poles, large places with nearly no comfort other than a tv and a washing machine. Cold showers and charcoal cooking are standard, main food is tam mak hun. It is in these places that you can find the most wonderful and beautiful girls, if school girls they are immaticulately dressed in their uniform, everything clean, nobody would expect them to be poor. But they are poor. They get 10 baht per day to go to school and buy food for lunch (6 baht). Family has one motorbike to share and some members have a mobile phone. Farmers they are mostly, having money from time to time, after harvesting sugar or cassava, rice is harvested for own use.

Those girls want to get out of that poor life, just make the wrong choice: they find a local boyfriend, marry, get one or two babies and live from less than 10K baht per month, so again poor. After a year or five husband finds another girl and there she sits, 22 year old, no husband, two kids, no money so making tam mak hun every day. Not interesting anymore for a Thai man because of the kids they have no future...

Unless, unless they find a farang interested in them to support them, marry them, live with them or on distance. Can you imagine now how happy they are if they find such a farang?

He can be old, bald, pot bellied, if he has a good heart and the means to support her she will adore him and take good care of him. He gives her a better life, the most important issue for a poor Isan girl....

I adore them, they are not spoiled, not money-hungry, they are natural in their beauty and behaviour. Yes there are disadvantages (language, education, managing finances) but these are easily nullified by the values of life they still possess. Oh, I forgot: they always smile, whether they are in a bad position or not, a wonderful result of Buddhist teaching: be happy with what you have!

A long post from an admirer of Isan village girls/women. Those who are in the same experience know what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Joe

Regarding BKK urbanites and Isan country girls, either you like the one or the other, never both.

I'm an absolute admirer of as I call Isan village girls/women. To define: girls living in remote (rural) Isan villages, not small towns and cities as there starts the "urbanites" presence.

I live in such a small village in Isan, 75 km ESE of Udon thani, my own village has 300 inhabitants, the whole Tambon (9 villages) has about 6000 people.

The Tambon village is where the main school is and all important social gatherings take place.

It is there that you find these wonderful creatures, poor girls living in circumstances that you and I would not accept if you had a choice. They don't have a choice. I regularly pass those wooden houses on poles, large places with nearly no comfort other than a tv and a washing machine. Cold showers and charcoal cooking are standard, main food is tam mak hun. It is in these places that you can find the most wonderful and beautiful girls, if school girls they are immaticulately dressed in their uniform, everything clean, nobody would expect them to be poor. But they are poor. They get 10 baht per day to go to school and buy food for lunch (6 baht). Family has one motorbike to share and some members have a mobile phone. Farmers they are mostly, having money from time to time, after harvesting sugar or cassava, rice is harvested for own use.

Those girls want to get out of that poor life, just make the wrong choice: they find a local boyfriend, marry, get one or two babies and live from less than 10K baht per month, so again poor. After a year or five husband finds another girl and there she sits, 22 year old, no husband, two kids, no money so making tam mak hun every day. Not interesting anymore for a Thai man because of the kids they have no future...

Unless, unless they find a farang interested in them to support them, marry them, live with them or on distance. Can you imagine now how happy they are if they find such a farang?

He can be old, bald, pot bellied, if he has a good heart and the means to support her she will adore him and take good care of him. He gives her a better life, the most important issue for a poor Isan girl....

I adore them, they are not spoiled, not money-hungry, they are natural in their beauty and behaviour. Yes there are disadvantages (language, education, managing finances) but these are easily nullified by the values of life they still possess. Oh, I forgot: they always smile, whether they are in a bad position or not, a wonderful result of Buddhist teaching: be happy with what you have!

A long post from an admirer of Isan village girls/women. Those who are in the same experience know what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Joe

That's a nice post. Perhaps a little rose-tinted methinks, but I still agree with your main sentiments. If there were more posters like you on TV, instead of the regular "Thais hate us, we are only ATMs" brigade, it would be a better forum.

Stay happy mate.

Elwood

thats a great post on Issan women.

How does one meet these women BEFORE they have pumped out a couple of kids? :)

Great stuff joe and elwood. I know what you mean.

Does it matter if she has kids? I've got six of my own and country girl in Phetchabun has two.

I love her two boys just the same as my own.

And when they get off the school bus that brings them home to the village, they greet their family, tidy in their school uniforms and I think good on you.

Not even rose-tinted guys. Brutally real and uplifting. I'm grateful.

Regards.

Kids are great, but unfortunately I have bad health and I will be running down my savings as it is to support me. I think my 800GBP will barely cover my costs, perhaps a partner...and a big possibly, possibly not 1 child. If I will have 1 child I think I would prefer it to be my own.

That's a nice post. Perhaps a little rose-tinted methinks, but I still agree with your main sentiments. If there were more posters like you on TV, instead of the regular "Thais hate us, we are only ATMs" brigade, it would be a better forum.

Stay happy mate.

Elwood

Thanks Elwood, I tried to paint the life I live, in rural Isan. It's not rose tinted as it is my daily experience, I'm not romantic in that way.

Mostly I feel a bit (or very) sad when encountering very poor circumstances, but in a small way I help from time to time.

I'm very well accepted by the villagers and everyone knows Joe is ok, nobody asks for money as I refuse. I give money frequently, but small amounts to people who need it.

I take part in school activities like training volleyball teams etc., so I have a lot of contact with the local population.

It always strikes me how they hide their poor lives (specially girls) in a way of smiling, being happy. That makes them so beautiful.

To answer the question about how to meet girls before they have kids: I can only advice farang who are looking for an Isan gf to come to Isan instead of visiting Pattaya/Patong as holiday fcuckers, fly to Udon, rent a motorbike, drive into the rural parts of Isan and stay there a while, a week. You will experience the beauty of Isan village life and possible girlfriends will present themselves in a shy way, a good way to find them is to talk to old women (yai), they know everyone and put great emphasis to "better life" for young women.

Thaddeus: Junior school is a low life AH answer, stay where you are, don't come to Isan villages please.

Joe

Thaddeus: Junior school is a low life AH answer, stay where you are, don't come to Isan villages please.

Joe

Little late for that advice, I've lived in an Isaan village for six years, and I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone could even think that that was a serious comment, from me especially. Lighten up fgs.

Joe

Little late for that advice, I've lived in an Isaan village for six years, and I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone could even think that that was a serious comment, from me especially. Lighten up fgs.

I wasn't too sure about the Junior school post either Thaddeus.

All the best in Isaan. Regards.

Joe

At least you had the common decency to give me the benefit of the doubt and made no comment about it.

Joe

At least you had the common decency to give me the benefit of the doubt and made no comment about it.

Actually Thad, that comment made me chuckle, we say similar when referring to virgin wimmin in Gloucester... (I would imagine it's a native British humour thing which is being misunderstood) :)

totster :D