Farang And Issan

chrispetchabun

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we say similar when referring to virgin wimmin in Gloucester... (

Aye, and that's why Jesus wasn't born there...... mind you he wasn't born in Liverpool as they couldn't find a virgin and three wise men.

Not sure about these posts either guys but I'm dead sure about joe's and elwood's.

I don't go to Thailand to hear farang jokes and I don't suppose the Isaan people find them funny either.

They definitely don't like farang jokers in Phetchabun.

Regards.

Aye, and that's why Jesus wasn't born there...... mind you he wasn't born in Liverpool as they couldn't find a virgin and three wise men.

Not sure about these posts either guys but I'm dead sure about joe's and elwood's.

I don't go to Thailand to hear farang jokes and I don't suppose the Isaan people find them funny either.

Regards.

Chris,

we have a very particular brand of humour.

It's not sinister, and nor is it probably what you europeans may think it is.

The point is, we make these kind of jokes in our homeland, and whatever you MAY think it is, it isn't !

And I forgive you on behalf on me, and Thanddy for thinking different, it's not your fault.. and I understand that.

BUT don't ever cast whatever you think about what we say in jest aa anything but that, research it first, go have a chat with an Englishman, then post !

And finally .. <deleted>

Cheers !

totster :D

Regards.

Chris,

The point is, we make these kind of jokes in our homeland, and whatever you MAY think it is, it isn't !

And I forgive you on behalf on me, and Thanddy for thinking different, it's not your fault.. and I understand that.

BUT don't ever cast whatever you think about what we say in jest aa anything but that, research it first, go have a chat with an Englishman, then post !

And finally .. <deleted>

Cheers !

Thai don't understand word spoken in jest.

Chris

"Thai don't understand word spoken in jest. "

You must have met my Wife. Her favourite saying is "thats not funny" but will roll around laughing if someone falls down and breaks a leg'

But I will add this, a life without humour is no life at all.

Maybe you will find out someday

Edited by grimleybob

Chris

You must have met my Wife. Her favourite saying is "thats not funny" but will roll around laughing if someone falls down and breaks a leg'

Chris

Point well made and well taken grimleybob.

Something tells me your wife is a class act. Not sure about you (!) but i guess she does the judging.

Only messin'

Chris

Point well made and well taken grimleybob.

Something tells me your wife is a class act. Not sure about you (!) but i guess she does the judging.

Only messin'

New post. Happy Happy Happy.

Chris,

What are you talking about, British humour is very much appreciated in Europe.

Anyway I can understand in Isaan they may have a different kind of humour. Does anybody know a typical Isaan joke ?

Chris,

What are you talking about, British humour is very much appreciated in Europe.

Anyway I can understand in Isaan they may have a different kind of humour. Does anybody know a typical Isaan joke ?

Chai Chidchob.

Nah......

Isaan humour, as far as I am concerned, tends to be more situational than verbal gymnastics, hence a great fondness for Mr Bean, but I remember one day sitting with a bunch of young lads just chewing the fat when the 'village bike' walked past, one of them made a remark about her 'friendliness' and I asked if when you got to say hello to her lady bits did you get an echo.

That got a laugh.... actually, that was a long long time ago and it got me accepted as being an Ok sanook guy.

And just a side note for people reading this who don't have a sense of humour, get one, you will be happier and live longer.

A while ago I went to complain to our neighbour that his cows were regularly invading our garden and destroying our flowers. I was telling him it was always the same scenario, they were quietly grazing on his side of the fence when one (it seems always the same) decides to jump the fence and then the other followed. I remember him joking that he could organize a line-up and if I could recognize the offender, he would get rid of her. We really had a good laugh at the idea of the cows line-up, the next day he sent someone to reinforce the fence and the problem was over.

I got a good laugh when i came back from fishing yesterday,and there was a bunch outside our gate including my wife sitting on a mat sharing a bottle of lau kau, i just said you lot same sandy(my dog)my wife translated to them and they all had a good chuckle.

Isaan humour is based on ignorance. For instance they laugh if you injure yourself. Example, to walk into one of those umbrellas that they have shading their stalls at a market. They never put them at a height that's acceptable to all. Even Thais walk into them. Isaan people also find it funny to make a child scared. I have 3 children and they're forever getting the skin on their arms pinched and then twisted. They find that completely hilarious when the child screams. Consequently the child learns to see it coming and takes action to avoid it. They even find that funny and they try even harder to touch the child. Bunch of idiots, if you ask me

Thai don't understand word spoken in jest.

I disagree, most of the time (language permitting) they totally get my kidding and jesting. It must be the way you tell em Chris.. :whistling:

Bunch of idiots, if you ask me

Well, we're not

If you were offended by the silly and harmless humour of Thaddeus and Totster, I have three quotations for you (which will hopefully be allowed by the political correctness police).

1) What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist. (Salman Rushdie)

2) Good taste and humour.....are a contradiction in terms, like a chaste whore. (Malcolm Muggeridge)

3) My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world. (George Bernard Shaw)

Make any sense?

Isaan humour is based on ignorance. For instance they laugh if you injure yourself. Example, to walk into one of those umbrellas that they have shading their stalls at a market. They never put them at a height that's acceptable to all. Even Thais walk into them. Isaan people also find it funny to make a child scared. I have 3 children and they're forever getting the skin on their arms pinched and then twisted. They find that completely hilarious when the child screams. Consequently the child learns to see it coming and takes action to avoid it. They even find that funny and they try even harder to touch the child. Bunch of idiots, if you ask me

Of course you've never seen sophisticated westerners laugh when someone walks into an umbrella or has a similar mishap? If only these silly Isaan people could have our intelligence, and only laugh when someone gives a loud fart - oh, how we all collapse with laughter as the smell hangs all around us! Now, that's class!

Elwood

To a poor country girl you are well off, but to an educated urbanite you're nothing. That's why wealthy Thais stick together, and poor Thais leech off the stupid farang

Well, I know quite a few educated Thai girls, and a few over-educated ones, from the best universities in Thailand.

They're from Bangkok and the rest of the country.

Their problem? They want to marry, and nobody wants to marry them. Too old for most Thai men (>25 years old), too smart, too..., whatever

And marrying a farang is sure something they would consider.

And do very often these days.

But I'm also sure the 0.1% of really rich Thais stick together.

And so they do in most countries.

Good for them.

Edited by eurasianthai

"Anyway I can understand in Isaan they may have a different kind of humour. Does anybody know a typical Isaan joke ? "

Issan joke

You seen the Falang in the village keeps trying to grow Potatoes

That's me,. Tried every which way, in ground ,above ground ,in rubbish bins, in shade, under shade cloth you name it I have tried it. Had a wonderful collection of perishable marbles.Played some good games with them.

Isaan humour is based on ignorance. For instance they laugh if you injure yourself.

Is there a problem with humour based on ignorance?

It wasn't that long ago that Charlie Chaplin was considered funny in the western world..... which he wasn't.

Laurel and Hardy however.

Isaan humour is based on ignorance. For instance they laugh if you injure yourself.

Is there a problem with humour based on ignorance?

It wasn't that long ago that Charlie Chaplin was considered funny in the western world..... which he wasn't.

There is when Thais make fun of disabled people, as seen regularly on television. Dwarfs being the main source of ridicule. As for Charlie Chaplin, that's your opinion. As for Thailand's view of Charlie Chaplin, well you'll never hear one, believe it or not, but his films are banned here. Edited by sinbin

Regarding BKK urbanites and Isan country girls, either you like the one or the other, never both.

I'm an absolute admirer of as I call Isan village girls/women. To define: girls living in remote (rural) Isan villages, not small towns and cities as there starts the "urbanites" presence.

I live in such a small village in Isan, 75 km ESE of Udon thani, my own village has 300 inhabitants, the whole Tambon (9 villages) has about 6000 people.

The Tambon village is where the main school is and all important social gatherings take place.

It is there that you find these wonderful creatures, poor girls living in circumstances that you and I would not accept if you had a choice. They don't have a choice. I regularly pass those wooden houses on poles, large places with nearly no comfort other than a tv and a washing machine. Cold showers and charcoal cooking are standard, main food is tam mak hun. It is in these places that you can find the most wonderful and beautiful girls, if school girls they are immaticulately dressed in their uniform, everything clean, nobody would expect them to be poor. But they are poor. They get 10 baht per day to go to school and buy food for lunch (6 baht). Family has one motorbike to share and some members have a mobile phone. Farmers they are mostly, having money from time to time, after harvesting sugar or cassava, rice is harvested for own use.

Those girls want to get out of that poor life, just make the wrong choice: they find a local boyfriend, marry, get one or two babies and live from less than 10K baht per month, so again poor. After a year or five husband finds another girl and there she sits, 22 year old, no husband, two kids, no money so making tam mak hun every day. Not interesting anymore for a Thai man because of the kids they have no future...

Unless, unless they find a farang interested in them to support them, marry them, live with them or on distance. Can you imagine now how happy they are if they find such a farang?

He can be old, bald, pot bellied, if he has a good heart and the means to support her she will adore him and take good care of him. He gives her a better life, the most important issue for a poor Isan girl....

I adore them, they are not spoiled, not money-hungry, they are natural in their beauty and behaviour. Yes there are disadvantages (language, education, managing finances) but these are easily nullified by the values of life they still possess. Oh, I forgot: they always smile, whether they are in a bad position or not, a wonderful result of Buddhist teaching: be happy with what you have!

A long post from an admirer of Isan village girls/women. Those who are in the same experience know what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Joe

Great post! You have got it absolutely right. I live a a very similar environment and your observations are spot on. I met my wife (in whose village I now live) in a bar 22 years ago, yes in Pattaya. Came to the village for the first time and loved it, couldn't wait to come and live here permanently when I retired . You can keep those stuck up urban types that look down on Issan people. Give me the locals any time.

Economic necessity condemned me to live in Bkk. for about 10 years. Happiest day of my life ,was when I smacked the pick-up ,carting my gear, on its bum and sent it on its way to the village.I am so sad that so many posters have never been or will go to Isarn ,and yet they they feel they are "experts" on village life ,and denigrate the girls. I will say ,there is absolutely no stigma attached ,if they have worked in Pattaya or else where, Those "experts" may be surprised at the number of Thai husbands who are wife beaters /bashers , alcoholice, gamblers , wouldn'work in an iron lung. So, when a girl gets a Farang, in fact her status in society rises enormously..Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of these relationships, work out.

Those "experts" may be surprised at the number of Thai husbands who are wife beaters /bashers , alcoholice, gamblers , wouldn'work in an iron lung. So, when a girl gets a Farang, in fact her status in society rises enormously..Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of these relationships, work out.

And who do the victims of these "Thai husbands" turn to when the farang is away ? They go back to what they're used. Please don't tell me I'm wrong as I too live in a village. And yes the ex bargirls status does rise when she "gets" a farang. Not because shes a better person, but because she now has access to money. A great reason to get friendly and bite the bullet.

Yes these relationship may "work out" in the eyes of a farang, but in truth it's not a love "relationship" It's a job. She being 30ish year old and him being 50+ really speaks for itself. All she has to do it carry on being the actress, that she was before, and her future is guaranteed. Wake up and smell the coffee.

PS. I'm married to a Thai (non ex-bargirl) with 3 children just in case someone decides to question my personal life, as I know I'll get some criticism.

PS. I'm married to a Thai (non ex-bargirl) with 3 children just in case someone decides to question my personal life, as I know I'll get some criticism.

Yes, I'm afraid you are, as you are sounding just like another 'limited experience, but all the knowledge' poster.

And who do the victims of these "Thai husbands" turn to when the farang is away ? They go back to what they're used. Please don't tell me I'm wrong as I too live in a village.

afarang is not talking about the girls who have husbands who are away for part if not most of the year, we both know a handful of those, but they are very much in the minority, please don't taint all the rural girls with the same brush, as that is just patently wrong.

Yes these relationship may "work out" in the eyes of a farang, but in truth it's not a love "relationship"

All relationships the world over are 'a job' if both parties don't work at it, it will fail, unless you come from one of those cultures where the female of the species is considered a lower form of life and treated as a slave, then the male doesn't have to work at it at all. But, we aren't in one of those cultures are we.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Do that every morning, Birdy 3in1

I have never been to Isaan, but I have met several girls from there. I tend to agree with this post. IMO any girl that has ever been exposed to working in the sex trade, which is what working in a bar in Pattaya or Patong is, will be most likely be damaged goods like those who use their services. I am quite sure that there are beautiful, nice girls in Isaan. I just haven't met one yet!

Those "experts" may be surprised at the number of Thai husbands who are wife beaters /bashers , alcoholice, gamblers , wouldn'work in an iron lung. So, when a girl gets a Farang, in fact her status in society rises enormously..Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of these relationships, work out.

And who do the victims of these "Thai husbands" turn to when the farang is away ? They go back to what they're used. Please don't tell me I'm wrong as I too live in a village. And yes the ex bargirls status does rise when she "gets" a farang. Not because shes a better person, but because she now has access to money. A great reason to get friendly and bite the bullet.

Yes these relationship may "work out" in the eyes of a farang, but in truth it's not a love "relationship" It's a job. She being 30ish year old and him being 50+ really speaks for itself. All she has to do it carry on being the actress, that she was before, and her future is guaranteed. Wake up and smell the coffee.

I have never been to Isaan, but I have met several girls from there. I tend to agree with this post. IMO any girl that has ever been exposed to working in the sex trade, which is what working in a bar in Pattaya or Patong is, will be most likely be damaged goods like those who use their services. I am quite sure that there are beautiful, nice girls in Isaan. I just haven't met one yet!

WHICH WORLD DO YOU LIVE IN.

You think that Thai bar girls are damaged goods? So it's OK for UK girls one night standing for free. I drive a cab and see whats really going on. I'm not like you walking about with my head up my harris.

At least the thai girls have the good sense to benefit from the encounter.

By the way, me and my damaged goods have been together for 7years. I don't regret one minute.

IMO any girl that has ever been exposed to working in the sex trade, which is what working in a bar in Pattaya or Patong is, will be most likely be damaged goods

I have a healthy dislike for most accountants and solicitors, however I have a good friend here who used to be an accountant, he stopped doing that job years ago, and he's Ok now.

I have never been to Isaan

That is fairly obvious.