A Few Brief Questions Around Teaching In Thailand

BobbyL

Hi

Im a 23 year old male from England, I've got a bachelors degree in Sports Science & Coaching, and I have just completed a 140 hour TEFL course which consisted of a 20 hour pratical weekend with the rest being done online. Through my degree I have reasonable experience of P.E teaching and sports coaching at primary school level (7-11), however no classroom based teaching experience. I'm planning on flying out to Bangkok in Jan/Feb time to find a job as an English teacher, I know someone who lives in Bangkok but he works in TV so has no knowledge of teaching English etc, so a few questions I have got are:

1. Is the fact that I have no classroom based teaching experience a big problem?

2. Is it better to find a job from England?, Or is it relatively easy to find some sort of teaching work once I'm out their within a few weeks or so? Also any issues regarding term times etc

3. And finally dress code, I read somewhere on the internet an English teacher is expected to wear shirt, trousers and shoes, Im assuming thats the case?

Any help, answers or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You will likely encounter some time lag in finding full-time employment. January/February is not a good time for regular school work. March and April are the big recruitment months for schools and May is the start of the regular school term.

So bring enough money to survive for a couple of months.

Language schools hire throughout the year, but this is usually hourly work.

Long-sleeved dress shirt and tie are what is usually required.

Best of luck.

Why not look for a PE teaching job at one of the International schools, they sometimes advertise those kind of positions.

*direct link not allowed*

Get a full time position as a PE teacher, then a part time or weekend job using your TEFL in a language centre.

Edited by Scott
Unallowed link edited out

You will likely encounter some time lag in finding full-time employment. January/February is not a good time for regular school work. March and April are the big recruitment months for schools and May is the start of the regular school term.

So bring enough money to survive for a couple of months.

Language schools hire throughout the year, but this is usually hourly work.

Long-sleeved dress shirt and tie are what is usually required.

Best of luck.

Thanks alot for the info, I might try and slightly delay when I go out to fit in with the March/April recruitment time. Is the fact that I haven't had any previous classroom teaching experience a problem finding jobs? Obviously I'm not expecting to find work at a top international school when I first arrive out there, but I've seen alot of jobs advertised online that ask for minimum 1 year experience, or will I be ok finding work at one of the more smaller public schools?

Thanks again.

Why not look for a PE teaching job at one of the International schools, they sometimes advertise those kind of positions.

Get a full time position as a PE teacher, then a part time or weekend job using your TEFL in a language centre.

Thanks for the info mate, to be honest I never thought about P.E teaching jobs out in Thailand until you mentioned it, I would love to do it in England but the demand for places on the P.E training courses at the moment is ridiculous. I'll definetely look into any P.E teaching possibilities in Thailand, although I'd imagine it will be bloody hot!!

Thanks again

Please don't post direct links to commercial websites. It is against the forum rules and can earn posters a suspension of posting privileges. Most posters can use a search engine to find the site.

I would certainly list the time you spent teaching PE as teaching experience. It's still teaching. Also, what many schools want and what they get are two different things. Some experience is better than no experience and few places will throw you out the door because you don't meet some magical number.

The salaries in Thailand are not so high with most schools that they afford to be too choosy. The better paying ones are, but by and large, the run of the mill school will take your credentials. Most people with a TEFL have the kind of classroom experience that is helpful.

Please don't post direct links to commercial websites. It is against the forum rules and can earn posters a suspension of posting privileges. Most posters can use a search engine to find the site.

I would certainly list the time you spent teaching PE as teaching experience. It's still teaching. Also, what many schools want and what they get are two different things. Some experience is better than no experience and few places will throw you out the door because you don't meet some magical number.

The salaries in Thailand are not so high with most schools that they afford to be too choosy. The better paying ones are, but by and large, the run of the mill school will take your credentials. Most people with a TEFL have the kind of classroom experience that is helpful.

Ok thanks alot, you're info is very much appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 months later...