Interpol issues 'red notice' for arrest of WikiLeaks' Julian Assange

News_Editor

Update 6 p.m. PT Monday: White House press secretary Robert Gibbs today said: "WikiLeaks and people that disseminate information to people like this are criminals, first and foremost. And I think that needs to be clear."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20023941-38.html#ixzz16uNAIsPG

Julian Assange should be tried as a spy - not a terrorist - and just because one man thinks otherwise does not an official policy make. wink.gif

No, he should not. The actions are protected in several countries, including the US, under whistle-blower laws.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to start learning that we're fooled and lied upon, over and over again.

Most people know that, but they also know that a lot of life is about choosing the lesser of many evils and compared to the other possible contenders, the major Western governments are much more benign. Anarchy is not the answer to the world's problems.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't think I'm the one endangering free speech, do you?

Yes, because of the radical groups and causes that you excuse and justify, I certainly do.

The only ones endangering free speech is the ones trying to limit it.

Most people know that, but they also know that a lot of life is about choosing the lesser of many evils and compared to the other possible contenders, the major Western governments are much more benign. Anarchy is not the answer to the world's problems.

..choosing the lesser of many evils.....I better not react to that otherwise we have to show some videos here which I really want to avoid in order to keep this discussion civil and open...

....major Western Governemts are much more benign...that's what YOU want to believe and you would hate to see your own Government act not so bening, since our Western GovernmentS are not so bening AT ALL, UG !

Since when are whistleblowers anarchists ?

We should praise them, not nail them onto the cross.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I don't think I'm the one endangering free speech, do you?

Yes, because of the radical groups and causes that you excuse and justify, I certainly do.

The only ones endangering free speech is the ones trying to limit it.

Islamic radical groups certainly fit that definition very well. ;)

Update 6 p.m. PT Monday: White House press secretary Robert Gibbs today said: "WikiLeaks and people that disseminate information to people like this are criminals, first and foremost. And I think that needs to be clear."

Julian Assange should be tried as a spy - not a terrorist - and just because one man thinks otherwise does not an official policy make. wink.gif

No, he should not. The actions are protected in several countries, including the US, under whistle-blower laws.

Actually the whistle-blower laws are very complicated and I strongly suspect that the Supreme Court would disagree with your opinion.

Just what exactly did these guys blow the whistle on? They illegally obtained hundreds of thousands of documents which include a few juicy pieces. It is no more "whistle blowing" than someone stealing all of your emails from the past 10-15 years and hoping there is something incriminating in it.

I wish Wikileaks every success in their endeavour. I only wish the Australian Government had the balls to protect one of its own very capable citizens from harrassment by a foreign government. Besides, why shoot the messenger? If anything, the leaks proved systems need to improve in some agencies and this is precisely what is happenning now vis a vis reviews of internal controls. So, some embarassing info leaked but let's look at the message, not feign horror at the fact that a smart cookie managed to get it all and collate it in an organised web site. And if they are intent on prosecuting, it follows all the newspapers who were in on it (I beleive some media were helping to sort thru all the leaks with Wikileaks) should likewise be prosecuted...I'd like to see that!

But for all you "mushrooms" who are content to live in the dark and be fed b-----t I feel sorry for you.

Two things will get you in trouble quicker than anything else. One is to publicly criticise the international Capitalist oligarghy represented by the international banking cartel...where the money comes from. The other is to publicly reveal the connection between that oligarchy and the political/military/and financial entities that actually run the world...where the actual power lies that controls the mass of the population. (the mushrooms).

Those Illuminati guys are certainly not to be messed with and the Reptilians are even worse, but sexual assault is still against the law no matter who you are.

JulianAssange.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

Julian Assange should be tried as a spy - not a terrorist - and just because one man thinks otherwise does not an official policy make.

And on what grounds Mr. Prosecutor ?

Disseminating stolen government documents that could cause damage to a lot of people for a start. :rolleyes:

what kind of damage? being exposed as a war criminal?

Lost in this discussion is that fact that the documents released were confidential and personal.

How would someone feel if his/her personal emails were released? There has been an infringement of privacy. The documents were obtained by an illegal act.

That's the underlying issue, although none of the people hailing the release of the documents wants to acknowledge that issue.

If documents are qualified as confidential and personal but accessible by at least 2,5 to 3 million people, one can hardly qualify those documents as confidential anymore.

And, if those documents and videos revealed serious criminal acts by Governments it's about time the people in the world should learn about their own criminal Governments, whether they are Russian, French, Israeli, German, American, Chinese or North Korean Governments or any other country for that matter.

We cannot tolerate any cover up for these criminal actions and illegal acts (as you described) by those same Governments, paid for by our own money.

If people want to expose criminal acts by Iran for instance, why not from your own Government ?

Time to put hypocrisy aside.

LaoPo

And if the documents reveal no criminal acts? What then? Revealed was diplomatic gossip and instructions were for the most part candid assessments given. Why should they be made public? You have no right to see such documents at this time. How can anyone negotiate or work under such condiitons? If you think the US government is criminal for speaking bluntly in these dispatches, what then do you intend to do about your Chinese diplomats that spy in Canada? What of the millions of dollars that has been alleged to have been illegally transferred to Chinese agents to secure information? Will you be heading to Beijing anytime soon to discuss this matter with your Chinese friends?

What has been served to reveal that some arab nations are wary of Iran? Are the comments about Sarkozy that wrong? Mr. Assange hasn't engaged in whistleblowing. What he has done is to violate confidentiality and privacy laws. There was nothing to blow the whistle on. If there was a criminal act, then fine, more power to Mr. Assange provided he shows the criminal act. Where was the criminal act in calling Mr. Putin an alpha dog, which he is? All that the release of the documents has done is handicap daily negotiations between nations. There is a reason why foreign countries are not blasting the USA. It is because those nations undertke similar activities and say similar things. Mr. Assange obtained the information via a US government employee that betrayed his oath of confidentiality.

what kind of damage?

For a start, lots of compassionate NGOs that do good work for the poor were giving information on terrorism. They will now be tagets for violence by terrorists. :annoyed:

I didn't saw cases like that. can you give a few examples.

Lost in this discussion is that fact that the documents released were confidential and personal.

How would someone feel if his/her personal emails were released? There has been an infringement of privacy. The documents were obtained by an illegal act.

That's the underlying issue, although none of the people hailing the release of the documents wants to acknowledge that issue.

If documents are qualified as confidential and personal but accessible by at least 2,5 to 3 million people, one can hardly qualify those documents as confidential anymore.

And, if those documents and videos revealed serious criminal acts by Governments it's about time the people in the world should learn about their own criminal Governments, whether they are Russian, French, Israeli, German, American, Chinese or North Korean Governments or any other country for that matter.

We cannot tolerate any cover up for these criminal actions and illegal acts (as you described) by those same Governments, paid for by our own money.

If people want to expose criminal acts by Iran for instance, why not from your own Government ?

LaoPo

News flash.

The object of war is to kill people & break stuff.

I really don't care what Europeans consider "illegal".

Allow real men to defend freedom. You don't even need to say "thanks". Just get out of the way.

Julian is going into some slammer somewhere. He can call himself martyr if he likes. bye bye s@umbag.

LaoPo

And if the documents reveal no criminal acts? What then? Revealed was diplomatic gossip and instructions were for the most part candid assessments given. Why should they be made public?

First I'm sorry you're not able to discuss this without dragging it into a personal thing towards me. It shows how frustrated some people are that their country is so embarrassed about the leaked documents and content and I'm not only talking about the US here.

But secondly I'm not allowed to post any news links about WikiLeaks here anymore (even from quality news sources) so there's no option for me to show or link documents and/or videos to prove that there were severe criminal acts committed. But I'm sure many here know about the disgusting videos where innocent people were deliberately and cold blooded murdered.

Don't kill the messenger; some Governments better ask themselves how to improve, and that, Geriatrickid, includes China, one of the countries mentioned in those WikiLeaks documents as well. ;)

The problem with some of you guys is that you can't take any criticism about your own country, never mind if they commit criminal acts.

But if those acts where against yourself or your own family, your beloved ones, you would shout it from the roofs to ask for attention.

LaoPo

News flash.

The object of war is to kill people & break stuff.

I really don't care what Europeans consider "illegal".

Allow real men to defend freedom. You don't even need to say "thanks". Just get out of the way.

Julian is going into some slammer somewhere. He can call himself martyr if he likes. bye bye s@umbag.

<_<..make way for the hardliners showing no compassion for innocent people, murdered, but supporting the murderers

Attitude like this is making it harder and harder for non-Americans to understand people like you.

Never mind, you are a minority; luckily.

LaoPo

Frankly if you pick up arms against your country & you are captured on the battlefield then it is perfectly acceptable (under existing law) for you to be executed ON THE SPOT.

Just ask American Taliban John Walker Lynd.

That might sound harsh to Europeans who never met a war they supported.

Many British turncoats were captured on the battlefield bearing arms against their country. Instead of being executed (which I would have been in favor of) they were transported to Guantanamo Bay Cuba to be debriefed.

These traitors today have been returned to Britain where many are bringing & winning multi-million $ lawsuits. A bullet to the head would have been cheaper.

Leaking classified military secrets should be punishable by death.

Julian is going to face justice, sooner rather than later.

The war on terror is unconventional & it will be everlasting.

That might sound harsh to Europeans who never met a war they supported.

Never heard of the Multi-National Force of Nations who joined in the (unneccesary and lied upon by GWB) war in Iraq; and what about Afghanistan ?

Ill-informed.

Some (read: most) people swallow the weirdest stories and lies by their own Governments if it were a Turkey at Thanksgiving...

If the same Governments raise taxes the whole country is opposed but if that same Government spend Billions to kill, murder, lie...people allow them to do so and even excuse them..<_<

That's why WikiLeaks is there: to expose the criminal behavior of those Governments.

LaoPo

I just spoke to a Swedish friend.

There's something smelly about this whole case of so called "rape" and "sexual harassment" and it's just in the news that the Swedish police, by means of a certain Mr.Tommy Kangasvieri, admitted they made a mistake in "procedures" and that a new arrest warrant is being drafted.

I'm curious on what grounds this time.

Anyway, Mr. Assange visited one of the women/girls on invitation and staid with her for 2 whole days...making love, having dinner and more cosy things 2 lovers are supposed to do... :rolleyes:

It's fishy now why this girl, as well as the other one decided to step to the police and fial complaints about sexual harassments/rape, long after Mr. Assange left.

In the meantime Julian Assange is tipped as MAN OF THE YEAR by Time Magazine in the US where he is third in place behind Turkish Premier Recep Tayyip Erdogan and popsinger Lady Gaga.

Barack Obama is on 6th place whilst Sarah Palin is 10.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo