BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

High Season Tourist Arrivals In Thailand Disappointing

High Season Tourist Arrivals Disappointing

The tourism sector has complained about a lower number of tourist arrivals this year, due to various negative factors such as political unrest and flooding.

Thai Travel Agents Association Chairman Charoen Wangananont said the political turmoil in April and May, as well as the recent flood crisis and devastating storms nationwide, have decreased the number of high season tourist arrivals down to just 80 percent of previous years' numbers.

The total number of tourist arrivals for this year may end up lower than 14 million, well below this year's target of 15.5 million.

However, the association remains hopeful that the first quarter of next year will see the situation return to normal and tourist arrivals will reach 15.5 million, but this is assuming there is no political violence and that the potential upcoming General Elections are peaceful.

Charoen said private tourism organizations will be teaming up with the government to map out domestic tourism promotion plans and establish a domestic tourism committee with representatives from both the state and tourism operators.

The panel will be responsible for creating a five-year domestic tourism promotion plan, covering 2011 to 2016, to reduce the nation's dependence on foreign tourists, who make up as much as 65 percent of the total number of tourists.

He noted that the top five tourist destinations in the world all have domestic tourists making up the majority of tourists in the respective countries.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-02

footer_n.gif

Now hear is a surprise. Lower? No shyt.

But no mention of the two real main reasons - the recession in Europe and the rise in the THB. Still in denial!

no mention of the scams that are more publicized either, as for the floods, do people in the UK or elsewhere even know about the floods?

Domestic tourism, does this mean start of the double pricing. I think all Expat need to be aware of this. I never make reservation myself. I always have my Thai wife make the reservation and I have in the past paid lower prices than if I had called

Domestic tourism is the answer.Can imagine persons from Issarn holidaying on Samui for a couple of weeks and spending a few thousand quid.

no mention of the scams that are more publicized either, as for the floods, do people in the UK or elsewhere even know about the floods?

In Holland they know all about the floods, it was highlighted so much that they thought the whole country was flooded (incl, bkk)..

Domestic tourism, does this mean start of the double pricing. I think all Expat need to be aware of this. I never make reservation myself. I always have my Thai wife make the reservation and I have in the past paid lower prices than if I had called

Not only''all Expat'' BUT EVERYBODY COMING HERE!!!!

My experience tends to be the opposite, many places shy away from renting to thais as sometimes they end up 5 or 6 people staying in one room.

Domestic tourism is the answer.Can imagine persons from Issarn holidaying on Samui for a couple of weeks and spending a few thousand quid.

One of my western friends operates a Travel agency in Silom. He commented that "no one" is booking vacations to Thailand, not like it was before last May's riots. He said, people are just afraid to come to Thailand, and if they do, not Bangkok. More like Pattaya, ChangMai, Phuket.

No surprise there consdiering the little economic problems the world is facing together with the collapse in buying power of most western currencies.

slowly.. they are getting the idea... but still in denial.

most of my friends are closing their business in Thailand and moving to neighbor countries...

Sorry Thailand but it is not just the floods or unrest... all your racist policies have paid... good job... the farangs are gone... guess u r happy with that... now have fun with middle east tourists...

And scam after scam posted on the net and highlighted on European TV. The whole World knows about Thai cops and their antics, and the Suwanapoom lock-ups, not to mention the litter police on Sukhumvit. Why come here when you can go somewhere where law and order is on you side,

How to kill the golden goose, suckers.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Why not start a new HUB. I propose a low THB HUB. EUR:THB 70:1 :partytime2:.

Im not really surprised considerign all of what has happened in 2010, riots, most of the world in a recession and to top it all off a strong BHT.