High Season Tourist Arrivals In Thailand Disappointing

webfact

High Season Tourist Arrivals Disappointing

The tourism sector has complained about a lower number of tourist arrivals this year, due to various negative factors such as political unrest and flooding.

Thai Travel Agents Association Chairman Charoen Wangananont said the political turmoil in April and May, as well as the recent flood crisis and devastating storms nationwide, have decreased the number of high season tourist arrivals down to just 80 percent of previous years' numbers.

The total number of tourist arrivals for this year may end up lower than 14 million, well below this year's target of 15.5 million.

However, the association remains hopeful that the first quarter of next year will see the situation return to normal and tourist arrivals will reach 15.5 million, but this is assuming there is no political violence and that the potential upcoming General Elections are peaceful.

Charoen said private tourism organizations will be teaming up with the government to map out domestic tourism promotion plans and establish a domestic tourism committee with representatives from both the state and tourism operators.

The panel will be responsible for creating a five-year domestic tourism promotion plan, covering 2011 to 2016, to reduce the nation's dependence on foreign tourists, who make up as much as 65 percent of the total number of tourists.

He noted that the top five tourist destinations in the world all have domestic tourists making up the majority of tourists in the respective countries.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-02

footer_n.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now hear is a surprise. Lower? No shyt.

Domestic tourism, does this mean start of the double pricing. I think all Expat need to be aware of this. I never make reservation myself. I always have my Thai wife make the reservation and I have in the past paid lower prices than if I had called

no mention of the scams that are more publicized either, as for the floods, do people in the UK or elsewhere even know about the floods?

In Holland they know all about the floods, it was highlighted so much that they thought the whole country was flooded (incl, bkk)..

Domestic tourism, does this mean start of the double pricing. I think all Expat need to be aware of this. I never make reservation myself. I always have my Thai wife make the reservation and I have in the past paid lower prices than if I had called

Not only''all Expat'' BUT EVERYBODY COMING HERE!!!!

My experience tends to be the opposite, many places shy away from renting to thais as sometimes they end up 5 or 6 people staying in one room.

Domestic tourism is the answer.Can imagine persons from Issarn holidaying on Samui for a couple of weeks and spending a few thousand quid.

One of my western friends operates a Travel agency in Silom. He commented that "no one" is booking vacations to Thailand, not like it was before last May's riots. He said, people are just afraid to come to Thailand, and if they do, not Bangkok. More like Pattaya, ChangMai, Phuket.

slowly.. they are getting the idea... but still in denial.

most of my friends are closing their business in Thailand and moving to neighbor countries...

Sorry Thailand but it is not just the floods or unrest... all your racist policies have paid... good job... the farangs are gone... guess u r happy with that... now have fun with middle east tourists...

And scam after scam posted on the net and highlighted on European TV. The whole World knows about Thai cops and their antics, and the Suwanapoom lock-ups, not to mention the litter police on Sukhumvit. Why come here when you can go somewhere where law and order is on you side,

How to kill the golden goose, suckers.

Edited by Soi Sauce

You also saw the changements in Myanmar ? Just wait, till that country is accepted again by the Western World as tourist destination: many will go to there for the many canturies old temples and other historic buildings, the much more pure nature spots, and the lower prices. Imagine a further drop of.. 10 % ?

This aside of the recession and the stronger THB versus Euro and US$; the anti-farang attitude of police and swindling by taxi drivers, tourist attractions with their double pricing, and Thai attitude, even when as guest invited by a farang for dinner, to speak Thai amoung each other. Farang is only good to fil his/her chair and pick up the bill.

Edited by puipuitom

But no mention of the two real main reasons - the recession in Europe and the rise in the THB. Still in denial!

Totally agree with this comment , The denial of too strong baht will push many people with low income to travel in other countries , such as Cambodia or Laos but not to mention that Thailand is not attractive anymore , look how Phuket has became ? Not to mention this stupid "gala" dinner which is compulsory and totally over priced that all hotels force you to have. No , Thailand is not on my 1st destination anymore.

Domestic tourism is the answer.Can imagine persons from Issarn holidaying on Samui for a couple of weeks and spending a few thousand quid.

I don't even know any Westerners would would spend a few thousand quid in a couple of weeks. I must be hanging around with the wrong crowd. LOL.

I have resided in Thailand for 13 years and have been in the tourism business for all of that time. i have noticed only one year that we did not have some problem that was reported internationally. From scams and ripoffs to Sars, chicken flu and violent politics this country is determined to destroy itself. Corruption is more prevalent than before and I personally have watched as the police will not help law abiding citizens and they police kowtow to "influential people" who are ripping off everyone including Thais. If the good people of this country don't stand up and fight back soon then visitors are going to shy away from here and go to other east Asian countries.

I have resided in Thailand for 13 years and have been in the tourism business for all of that time. i have noticed only one year that we did not have some problem that was reported internationally. From scams and ripoffs to Sars, chicken flu and violent politics this country is determined to destroy itself. Corruption is more prevalent than before and I personally have watched as the police will not help law abiding citizens and they police kowtow to "influential people" who are ripping off everyone including Thais. If the good people of this country don't stand up and fight back soon then visitors are going to shy away from here and go to other east Asian countries.

I agree on this ... I have been living and working here for 17 years and I have the impression that renewing my visa , work permit etc .. is harder and harder ..Now they give me 30days ....then one year as new policy , strange after so many years. Do they do the maximum to send us back to our countries ? If so , I would suggest a return of all Thais living abroad as well. There are still good things of course and the kindness of the people is still here , specially up country ( not phuket, pattaya, samui or tourists spots). I dont think to pay another expensive huge tourism campaign around the world will help either. Time for a serious cleaning if you dont want to see the tourists go in some other places. After all there will always be "single men" to enjoy Thailand.

no mention of the scams that are more publicized either, as for the floods, do people in the UK or elsewhere even know about the floods?

In Holland they know all about the floods, it was highlighted so much that they thought the whole country was flooded (incl, bkk)..

Well i could imagine the Dutch having sympathy with it as that used to spend its life under water.

But no mention of the two real main reasons - the recession in Europe and the rise in the THB. Still in denial!

And the scams, the murders, the double pricing, the dishonest touts, the airport taxi scams, the world at large is realizing that the realm is no what it was, what it ever claimed to be. 99% of Thai's give the rest a bad name.

Yep. Typical thai mentality to ignore the real reasons. It basically equates to LESS VALUE for your money in Thailand now.

I don't even know any Westerners would would spend a few thousand quid in a couple of weeks. I must be hanging around with the wrong crowd. LOL.

You must be a backpacker then.Me and my mates could easily go through a grand a week and that was when the exchange rate was 70+.Now I,m an expat times have changed.

You have hit it in one. It is a 4th world country "if that" and there is none so blind as those that do not wanrt to see. The reasons are all there staring them in the face and they either don't want to or ignore them.

It's always easier to blame things like currency rates or recessions elsewhere rather than face the problems that are all home grown.

<snip>

and Thai attitude, even when as guest invited by a farang for dinner, to speak Thai amoung each other. Farang is only good to fil his/her chair and pick up the bill.

Been there, had that done to me. Only once, never again.

May be it has something to do with Pattaya stinking to high heaven near the so called beach. Last time I drove down Beach Road, it reminded me of driving past Bangkoks worst Klong. That is besides all the scams Tourists have to fear. Phuket is not much better anymore these day's, with it having been concreted over - a transportation system that is nothing but local government sponsored robbery. That is besides all the other robberies and crimes against tourists.

In all, the Thai's have been really busy making sure that no one wants to come anymore besides the Asian's who mostly come for golf or/and pu.... - and those westerners who come for pu.... out of habit.

Thailand is now like Jamaica as far as tourists are concerned. They are well cared for within their 4 or 5 star resort and dare set a foot outside where the touts are waiting to hit them.

The unbelievably high baht makes Thailand also a very expensive destination when compared with other countries in the area as well as even European destinations.

In all, one has to congratulate the Thais on a job well done to screw themselves :clap2:

Lets look at some facts

Thailand was a very popular holiday destination for 2 reasons. The nature/weather and the cost of holiday.

The cost has gone up by 30%-50% due to exchange rates and growing prices in Thailand

While the nature and weather is still on offer, there are also a number of issues such as scams, riots, instability etc.

All at the same time, there are new places such as Cambodia, Vietnam and few others, who offer the same experience but a cheaper rate.

Sex tourism is still doing ok, however more and more sex tourists are discovering new destinations where they do not get fleeced and the costs are actually cheaper then Thailand.

So put everything into one basket and you have a problem.

Thailand should either move to be an upscale holiday destination, but that means "taking care" of all the scams and problems or go back to a cheap affordable destination.

You also saw the changements in Myanmar ? Just wait, till that country is accepted again by the Western World as tourist destination: many will go to there for the many canturies old temples and other historic buildings, the much more pure nature spots, and the lower prices. Imagine a further drop of.. 10 % ?

This aside of the recession and the stronger THB versus Euro and US$; the anti-farang attitude of police and swindling by taxi drivers, tourist attractions with their double pricing, and Thai attitude, even when as guest invited by a farang for dinner, to speak Thai amoung each other. Farang is only good to fil his/her chair and pick up the bill.

this is so true, you forgot to add that much of the conversation is at the farang's expense, our strange customs and stupid trusting natures.

Sure, because u in Holland are scared about floods & have a good reason. However, flooding has not been a real problem for tourist yet, its more the scams/rip offs which u don\t read about that much.