High Season Tourist Arrivals In Thailand Disappointing

webfact

Now hear is a surprise. Lower? No shyt.

But no mention of the two real main reasons - the recession in Europe and the rise in the THB. Still in denial!

And the scams, the murders, the double pricing, the dishonest touts, the airport taxi scams, the world at large is realizing that the realm is no what it was, what it ever claimed to be. 99% of Thai's give the rest a bad name.

I wonder why is any of us still here ???? Maybe there is actually some good things in between all the bad or ? rolleyes.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you can get 2 weeks all-inclusive in the Carribbean for 699 quid what possible attraction has Thailand to offer....flights are through the roof and then when anyone gets here they are paying more than Paris/New York prices for everything because the BOT is keeping the Baht so strong. Value for money, it aint here anymore.

But no mention of the two real main reasons - the recession in Europe and the rise in the THB. Still in denial!

And the scams, the murders, the double pricing, the dishonest touts, the airport taxi scams, the world at large is realizing that the realm is no what it was, what it ever claimed to be. 99% of Thai's give the rest a bad name.

I wonder why is any of us still here ???? Maybe there is actually some good things in between all the bad or ? rolleyes.gif

do not confuse tourists with expats.

tourists are a target and usually are more exposed to all the bad, while expats have already had their share and learned how to avoid as much as possible

Great news. Maybe tourists are finally waking up to the real Thailand. The "J.J" scam with jet skis in Phuket, the knife attack on Irish tourists last week in Pattaya, again for a jet ski scam, the floods, the turmoil, the violent demonstrations, the documentary "Big trouble in Thailand", the "swamp" airport scams, the overvalued baht, disgraceful corruption from the judiciary and police, the constant reports of violence against tourists, usually unsolved and usually dismissed by the thugs in brown.

Like insurance, it is only when things go wrong do you realise the dangers you face. And believe me Thailand is a minefield if you go looking for help from any authority. The tourist is a walking ATM to be soaked with no back up if you are robbed or scammed. This is utterly wrong.

Yep....we are all not stupid and would prefer a safer holiday environment where the authorities actually recognise our contribution the the people and their economy and are therefore genuinely welcomed and protected. Not this sham of "the land of smiles". What a joke.

Edited by harleyclarkey

I have resided in Thailand for 13 years and have been in the tourism business for all of that time. i have noticed only one year that we did not have some problem that was reported internationally. From scams and ripoffs to Sars, chicken flu and violent politics this country is determined to destroy itself. Corruption is more prevalent than before and I personally have watched as the police will not help law abiding citizens and they police kowtow to "influential people" who are ripping off everyone including Thais. If the good people of this country don't stand up and fight back soon then visitors are going to shy away from here and go to other east Asian countries.

You have hit it in one. It is a 4th world country "if that" and there is none so blind as those that do not wanrt to see. The reasons are all there staring them in the face and they either don't want to or ignore them.

It's always easier to blame things like currency rates or recessions elsewhere rather than face the problems that are all home grown.

Wonder if any influential government persons ever read these posts. If they do I don't suppose it alters anything and often wonder why so much time and energy is put into writing them. Guess its just a way of releasing frustration...any way we are here and presume no where else to go so best just to get on with life. C'est la vie monsieur.!!

As hit on earlier, it isn't really the floods, the political unrest (for most) or the thieving jet ski scammers which has hit numbers but rather the strength of the baht and the economic climate in the west. Most holidays are planned in advance and thus there is a time lag between a change in circumstances and the actual event. Recent historic numbers were artificially higher due to trips planned and in part paid for when times were better.

The problem now is that despite an increase in economic confidence in the tourist host nation countries, they are now completely aware of the baht exchange rate. For example, on a recent trip of mine, and I know it was a top hotel, a beer was around Bt300. That was ok-ish when the pound was over 60 and no worries at 70 plus but at roughly mid 40s, it equates to over £6 and for that money, you can get one in almost any top class, full service hotel. The excuses that Thailand's lack of top class facilities and service could be ignored because of cheaper prices is laughable. A beer in a wooden hut or chipboard beech bar at nearly £3 is also massively out of kilter.

It is not just about beer of course but a Bt100 scam or double price all adds up and people are rightly voting with their wallets. My suspicion is that it will not change because the real winners, the landlords, who have forced rents up and had people willing to pay them are likely to rather see their premises empty than move rents downwards.

No diss to All, but this is so seriously a 'no-news' story that I feel the urge to trim the hedges, just for the adrenalin rush.

Running for the Bush Brewsta. :lol:

Edited by Brewsta

One of my western friends operates a Travel agency in Silom. He commented that "no one" is booking vacations to Thailand, not like it was before last May's riots. He said, people are just afraid to come to Thailand, and if they do, not Bangkok. More like Pattaya, ChangMai, Phuket.

And those that come to Chiang Mai probably only do so once. Try sitting or walking aorund Mun Mueang without choking on the traffic fumes. The vast majority of Tuk Tuks are throwing out smoke along with a good number of clapped out share taxis. Add to that the burning which has started and fairly soon the hospitals will be filled again with people having breathing problems. Earlier this year I was sitting in the departure lounge of Chiang Mai airport and you could not see Doi Suthep, a 5500ft mountain from 3km away. Add to that a number of other comments that have appeared here and one wonders what message they want tourists taking home with them.

When you can get 2 weeks all-inclusive in the Carribbean for 699 quid what possible attraction has Thailand to offer....flights are through the roof and then when anyone gets here they are paying more than Paris/New York prices for everything because the BOT is keeping the Baht so strong. Value for money, it aint here anymore.

here here

Just got back this week from a two month holiday to Thailand where a great deal of it was spent in Phuket. After 6 years of visiting Thailand I am seriously wondering whether to come back again.

Got off the plane at Phuket airport and paid 800 Baht for a quick car transfer or so I was told to Patong. I thought by buying a premium service I would escape all the usual hassle of travel agent stop oiffs but no.... About 10 mins into the ride we had stopped and I was being hounded about hotels and certain shows/tours already.

Then their was a fire in my hotel the Thara Patong. Apparently it was caused by a dodgy air conditioning unit but I cannot confirm that.....

There was also the incident of exploding power pylons! I saw two explode within the space of 5 minutes throwing sparks accross the road....

Of course we also have the wonderful tuk-tuk mafia who charge 200 Baht for any journey....could not believe it. Had to transfer my hotel to a cheaper one literally a 1 minute tuk tuk ride away and was charged 200 baht by a very ungrateful tuk tuk river who ripped the money out of my hands and drove off.

I almost saw a girl drowned because of dangerous sea currents. I happened to be swimming in the same area about 10 minutes before until a thai man shouted from the shore to move over....of course there were no signs or warnings up anywhere! Anyhow about 10 minutes a group of young thai girls started swimming in this particular area and one of them got into serious trouble. Thankfully two thai guys came out on a jetski and rescued her but from looking how exhausted she was on the beach and coughing up water she could have been only seconds from drowning....my point is though if the locals know its a dangerous spot to swim why not put some bloody signs up!! Just mind boggling.

Then in Bangkok I was taken to a nightclub called spacey,spicey?? and was shoved by one of the doormen because I did not want to tip each of them 100 Baht.....was also verbally assaulted by a thai man at Bkk bus station because after bullying me into his cab then he then demanded 600 Baht for the taxi ride to Sukhumvit.

I have had enough of it and I think many others have too.

Its ridicolous..they advertise Phuket as a family holiday destination whilst at the same time letting all these tuk tuk thugs do as they please and rip these familys off.

Of course stuff like this happens everywhere but I believe the thai authorites are not doing enough to protect foriengers well being whilst in Thailand.....

Rant over!

Edited by pearson

no mention of the scams that are more publicized either, as for the floods, do people in the UK or elsewhere even know about the floods?

In Holland they know all about the floods, it was highlighted so much that they thought the whole country was flooded (incl, bkk)..

Did they offer any useful advice for the day when the whole of Holland gets flooded?

"The panel will be responsible for creating a five-year domestic tourism promotion plan, covering 2011 to 2016, to reduce the nation's dependence on foreign tourists, who make up as much as 65 percent of the total number of tourists.

He noted that the top five tourist destinations in the world all have domestic tourists making up the majority of tourists in the respective countries"

Best of luck with that. I thought the TAT strategy last week was to increase the number of Asian tourists.

It would be easy to reduce the percentage of foreign tourists - just stop all foreigners coming to Thailand. I'm sure they worked that out already, but the stupid foreigners still keep trying to come here.

Then the hardworking Thai tourists would be 100 per cent of the trade. They might have to run around a lot more visiting temples and eating exotic animals in safari parks, or maybe introduce a new campaign - "Isaan's youth grows to love watersports" - starting with the new adventure water park in Korat. Korat could really benefit from some 5 star hotels like Chiang mai has.

Amusing Thailand. Never-ending source of smiles.

I have been coming to Thailand for 12 years and spend about six months of the year in Thailand 2 months Thailand and home for 2 months and have tried all the usual tourist islands and up in Chang Mai down to Pattaya etc; but I usually end up staying in BKK I have seen all the scammers and sharks trying to part me with my money but my Thai wife keeps me on the right track at night we usually spend our time in all the night life areas and we like to have a good time play pool and have a good few beers, now I see most of these night life areas are frequented with expats and only very few tourists I remember a few years ago when every bar and disco was full of free spending tourists and many of my Scottish friends used to come over a couple of times a year but not now because the can get a bottle of beer for under £6 in almost any bar in Europe so why bother with the expensive long flight to pay excessive prices for a beer when its cheaper nearer home.

Even my wife prefers to spend more time in Scotland now as she can get better value for her money we normally spent about 7 / 8 grand a trip but now its costing between 9 / 10 grand that is not including flights or my own condo costs.

The majority of Thailand’s problems with tourists are self-inflicted because every tourist knows they have no protection from the corrupt Police and will be ripped off at every opportunity by greedy Thais scamming you as seen on TV.

I love Thailand and all the genuine happy smiling Thai people :) and will be back in 2 months time.

Thailand has probably seen a peak in its tourism numbers for at least several years due to all the negative publicity the country has received, the appreciation of the baht, belt tightening in many nations, and other destinations are becoming more popular than Thailand. Times and trends do change.

pearson, you are certainly not alone in your sentiments.

Fifteen years ago I had my honeymoon in Phuket, and at the time thought that this was the place that we would eventually retire to. Until this year we visited, with two other couples, at least once a year but have finally had enough of the island and held our anniversary week in Phnom Phenh.

We stayed in a beautiful colonial hotel, Raffles, for the equ. of B5,660, compared to the hotel we usually stay in, Laflora, which is 20% more expensive according to Latestays for a much bigger and nicer room.

The food and drinks were all first class, the bars by the promenade that stay open all night charge US$1, yes, ONE, a beer, and we rented a taxi by the half day for US$10 whose driver was polite and really showed us around the town. The trip to and from the airport was by hotel car and that was classified as very expensive at US$9.

The absence of touts was a pure luxury.

Now there is a direct flight to Da Nang in Vietnam we will be exploring that early next year.

Until there is a massive, and highly unlikely, clean up of many aspect of Phuket life, I can see no reason whatsoever to return.

"The panel will be responsible for creating a five-year domestic tourism promotion plan, covering 2011 to 2016, to reduce the nation's dependence on foreign tourists, who make up as much as 65 percent of the total number of tourists.

He noted that the top five tourist destinations in the world all have domestic tourists making up the majority of tourists in the respective countries"

Best of luck with that. I thought the TAT strategy last week was to increase the number of Asian tourists.

It would be easy to reduce the percentage of foreign tourists - just stop all foreigners coming to Thailand. I'm sure they worked that out already, but the stupid foreigners still keep trying to come here.

Then the hardworking Thai tourists would be 100 per cent of the trade. They might have to run around a lot more visiting temples and eating exotic animals in safari parks, or maybe introduce a new campaign - "Isaan's youth grows to love watersports" - starting with the new adventure water park in Korat. Korat could really benefit from some 5 star hotels like Chiang mai has.

Amusing Thailand. Never-ending source of smiles.

Love it. The 5 year plan to replace foreign tourists with domestic. Aside from the financial limitations of this plan there are a couple of glaring problems.

a. Thai people don't get that much discretionary holiday. Longer holidays are for going home to see mum and dad not going to Samui for 2 weeks. Long weekends are maybe for a run to the eastern beaches but on average not for a trip to the islands.

b. Thai people as a rule, don't like sunshine, so how are you going to encourage Thais to take up sitting next to swimming pools and beaches? I guess they can stop advertising white skin as being the paragon of beauty as a start.

c. Thai people with enough cash and time(and with the exchange rate as it is) are now starting to go back to Europe and other destinations for holidays. They aren't interested in Phuket with the kids for 2 weeks.

d. I know some wealthy Thais who's kids get out of Bangkok occasionally to go to the beach. They stay in daddy's apartment. His golf/mia noi getaway investment. This doesn't fill up hotels.

Beaches are places where young people sit under trees and eat lunch and drink beer all afternoon. How is this supposed to replace the hundreds of thousands of foreign tourists who will either choose to stay closer to home for financial reasons, or simply go elsewhere in the region for something new?

Disappointing? Disappointment is a reaction to lower than anticipated [and reasonable] expectations. With all that recent years have thrown up, domestically and globally, together with an altogether too large a number of Thais' predilection for screwing the hand that feeds them, the TAT has undoubtedly been guilty of overly optimistic projections. They could, of course, attempt to tackle issues over which they should exert some control, and which seriously impact on tourists' view of 'The Land of Smiles ... But then again ...

Domestic tourism, does this mean start of the double pricing. I think all Expat need to be aware of this. I never make reservation myself. I always have my Thai wife make the reservation and I have in the past paid lower prices than if I had called

Yes , my Thai partner bought our new furniture for Bht 18000 less than my quote for exactly the same goods.

Actually, he didn't say that either. To Lady Astor's accusation of: "You sir, are drunk!" Churchill replied: "And you madam are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."

tr

Correction.......Sir Winston Churchill said in parliament to Lady Astor, after she had called him a "drunken sot".............Madam ! in the morning, i will be sober, will you be beautiful !

I have resided in Thailand for 13 years and have been in the tourism business for all of that time. i have noticed only one year that we did not have some problem that was reported internationally. From scams and ripoffs to Sars, chicken flu and violent politics this country is determined to destroy itself. Corruption is more prevalent than before and I personally have watched as the police will not help law abiding citizens and they police kowtow to "influential people" who are ripping off everyone including Thais. If the good people of this country don't stand up and fight back soon then visitors are going to shy away from here and go to other east Asian countries.

I agree on this ... I have been living and working here for 17 years and I have the impression that renewing my visa , work permit etc .. is harder and harder ..Now they give me 30days ....then one year as new policy , strange after so many years. Do they do the maximum to send us back to our countries ? If so , I would suggest a return of all Thais living abroad as well. There are still good things of course and the kindness of the people is still here , specially up country ( not phuket, pattaya, samui or tourists spots). I dont think to pay another expensive huge tourism campaign around the world will help either. Time for a serious cleaning if you dont want to see the tourists go in some other places. After all there will always be "single men" to enjoy Thailand.

here, here.....

I lived in Thailand from 1996 till 2008 my Thai wife and child born there (2000) came to Australia in 2008 with me.... honestly they never want to go back to Thailand... like they say... for what? Quality of life?

oh.... and with all the fuss in Thailand, we were directed by the Australian Immigration to Malaysia to apply for my wifes spouse visa... it was done/approved in 1 month. I think if we did it in Thailand I guess we still would have been waiting...

Thailand.........hmmm!

Edited by jboras

Lets look at some facts

Thailand was a very popular holiday destination for 2 reasons. The nature/weather and the cost of holiday.

The cost has gone up by 30%-50% due to exchange rates and growing prices in Thailand

While the nature and weather is still on offer, there are also a number of issues such as scams, riots, instability etc.

All at the same time, there are new places such as Cambodia, Vietnam and few others, who offer the same experience but a cheaper rate.

Sex tourism is still doing ok, however more and more sex tourists are discovering new destinations where they do not get fleeced and the costs are actually cheaper then Thailand.

So put everything into one basket and you have a problem.

Thailand should either move to be an upscale holiday destination, but that means "taking care" of all the scams and problems or go back to a cheap affordable destination.

Talking about scams, i mate of mine here in Brisbane has been chatting with a bar girl and being young, in love and bloody stupid, he is about to spend time in Bangkok and wants to meet her at the airport on arrival. She says OK Darling 'up to you' but she works in a Jap Karioke bar and has told him that he will have to pay a bar fine if she comes to the airport..............guess what ...Bht 1500, yes thats correct. He asked me "whats a bar fine" lololololol

As hit on earlier, it isn't really the floods, the political unrest (for most) or the thieving jet ski scammers which has hit numbers but rather the strength of the baht and the economic climate in the west. Most holidays are planned in advance and thus there is a time lag between a change in circumstances and the actual event. Recent historic numbers were artificially higher due to trips planned and in part paid for when times were better.

The problem now is that despite an increase in economic confidence in the tourist host nation countries, they are now completely aware of the baht exchange rate. For example, on a recent trip of mine, and I know it was a top hotel, a beer was around Bt300. That was ok-ish when the pound was over 60 and no worries at 70 plus but at roughly mid 40s, it equates to over £6 and for that money, you can get one in almost any top class, full service hotel. The excuses that Thailand's lack of top class facilities and service could be ignored because of cheaper prices is laughable. A beer in a wooden hut or chipboard beech bar at nearly £3 is also massively out of kilter.

It is not just about beer of course but a Bt100 scam or double price all adds up and people are rightly voting with their wallets. My suspicion is that it will not change because the real winners, the landlords, who have forced rents up and had people willing to pay them are likely to rather see their premises empty than move rents downwards.

Well in my favourite bar on Samui a Chang costs bht 40 although Bht 60 is more common around the island.

Its interesting to read of what value was available to people not that long ago when visiting Thailand.

I agree with the majority, that for many its about how much money will i have next year and what i have, where will be best value? Of course Thailand will still draw tourists and business travellers, but when two weeks 4 star all inc in places like Egypt can be had for £799, Thailand has some concerns.

At least someone is looking ahead at trying to do something about it.

But, as has been pointed out, toursist numbers mean little, its what money they put into the economy that really matters. And this is in part why this "looking into" it is announced. There are many big hotel chains and resort people out looking for new sites, sites that need expansion or new growth. If Thailand projects loosing 1 to 2 million tourists, then that will certainly impact on the hotels choices.

So by putting it out that they are looking to increase more "local" tourists of the next 5 years, they are hoping to send a positive business signal.

But with near neighbours Vietnam and Cambodia rapidy expanding (thanks to Chinese Investment - 100% ownership allowed) these locations and their "undiscovered" labels still intact and offering cheaper than Thailand food, drink and entertainment.

Thailand needs to do something, so maybe a refocusing and re evaluation of what the new "local" market means, its impact on the economy and seeing how it would work is afterall a logical move?B)